Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1987 300SDL
1,609 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I recently rooted around my car's trunk a few days ago when I noticed a little bit of water in one of the "saddle bags" (the compartment next to the spare tire well) and it had iced over.

I freaked.

Rust and mold have driven me a long time ago to replace the weather strip and antenna seal. What the hell am I missing here? Why on earth am I STILL getting water in? There's no rust within anywhere NEAR the rear window etc.

I'm annoyed.

One thing I did notice was a little tube cinched off thats mounted to the side of the interior of the trunk, and there was some evidence that water had leaked from it.

·
Registered
1983 500 SEC Lorinser 1971 280se w108
1,963 Posts
Check the seals around the tail lights
While it is still leakin I recomend you remove the carpet and the rubber bungs in the recesses to keep out as much moisture as possable.

·
Registered
'83 380SEC AMG'ed euro, '92 500SL, '91 190e 2.6 5-speed
2,389 Posts
You changed the trunk seal? Make sure you didn't put it in backwards (Happens more often than you'd think). Put down some newspaper and see what gets wet and from where. If there is ice in the trunk it sounds like the waters been there are a while, when is the last time you've checked it? Was everything thoroughly dried after the the seals were replaced?

·
Registered
1982 300SD, 2001 f-150 4x4-348,000 passed tha benz!!
426 Posts
I recently rooted around my car's trunk a few days ago when I noticed a little bit of water in one of the "saddle bags" (the compartment next to the spare tire well) and it had iced over.

I freaked.

Rust and mold have driven me a long time ago to replace the weather strip and antenna seal. What the hell am I missing here? Why on earth am I STILL getting water in? There's no rust within anywhere NEAR the rear window etc.

I'm annoyed.

One thing I did notice was a little tube cinched off thats mounted to the side of the interior of the trunk, and there was some evidence that water had leaked from it.
Was that cinched off tube on the left side? That is the sunroof cable, i have never heard of water finding its way through there?

·
Registered
1987 300SDL
1,609 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Oh man... Does this mean there's water leaking through the sunroof seal?

Damn. Well at least it's a bit of rubber and not something insanely major.
I'm going to and check again, see if it is indeed the tail light weatherstripping.

Er, I hadn't opened the trunk in a few months.

And the seal backwards? How do I tell?
(currently the fat edge is the one in the strip channel, with the narrow ish end facing the lid)

·
Registered
1987 300SDL
1,609 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
You changed the trunk seal? Make sure you didn't put it in backwards (Happens more often than you'd think). Put down some newspaper and see what gets wet and from where. If there is ice in the trunk it sounds like the waters been there are a while, when is the last time you've checked it? Was everything thoroughly dried after the the seals were replaced?
Yes everything was dried, with particular emphasis on "everything".

·
SuperModerator
1986/1990 W126
14,101 Posts
i vote tail light seals. They can leak loads. Cant imagine water finding its way down into that tube. Its only the casing for the cable to run in and out of.

·
Registered
W126 500 SEL 9/85 W124 E320T Brabus
2,068 Posts
Another possibillity...

In the "saddle bags" is a ventilation shaft on the right of and on the left, where the bumper mountings rest upon.

Those shafts are often full-squirted with dirt and water, if the "bananas" at the front end of the bumpers are missing.

Result - rusted mountings, not closing ventilation shaft (the rubber part is light and tends to keep open, if dirt squirts in) water in the trunk.

Sometimes the sealing around the shaft is missing, too. Its easy to take them out and change. In Germany they are new about 15 Euro per side. The bananas aren´t expensive either. Especially in countrys with much rain its worth a look under the trunk coverage ;)

·
SuperModerator
1986/1990 W126
14,101 Posts
Ooh, bananas? I dont remember these, and i just changed my ventilation flaps. Are they detachable from the bumper then? I'm not sure where they fit..

1 - 13 of 13 Posts