Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
1,582 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I went and grabbed the iCarsoft i980 to check out the 2003 S55 I am in negotiations with. The X431 will take weeks to get here. So I could get one locally
I cannot get the S55 into the dealer till Dec or an indie for a week. So I figured grab it and see what codes are in it.
To be honest not that great or a scanner. They never tell you that you cannot update from only a Windows base computer.
I can read codes but it will not communicate with the transmission or ECU.
I can get live data I can access suspension give me heights etc.
So I have order the X431 idag for iPhone/iPad and I will do a comparison.
The iCarsoft i980 cost me $202.01 Canadian with tax and now buying the X431 I could have bought the C4

I never actually tried it on the S55 as it was not really doing what it claimed on my 2000 S430.
I know there has been a lot of talk about this scanner and what it can do.
Over the next couple day or early next week I will set up my Gopro and do a quick video to show what it will do.
I will be listing this one up for sale really quick as they will not take it back as they say people buy them get the codes then return them.

Once the X431 arrives I will do the exact same thing and then people can compare for their self. I know there are a ton of people out there that want to scan their own cars either to have a heads up before bringing it in or to repair the car them self. To be honest the Star system would be great but $2000 to use maybe 3 times a year is pricey especially if you are not the type of person that wants to get into the developer area of the car.
I hear you can actually use the X431 idag to program new parts installed. From what I have seen on the i980 you would not be able to

·
Registered
8,448 Posts
Can't wait for this , thank you so much for doing the research!!

I bought the x431 harness but have not yet bought the $66 software

If there is some way we can share the x431 software passwords/code I will be happy to split costs with you

·
Registered
1,582 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Looking forward to your work on this Scott.

Dean
Well I can tell you right from the start I plugged it in very hard to get into the port.
I got live data engine rpm, temp. O2 voltage, ign timing and so on.
I went to the suspension section, went to height or level cannot remember it gave me these values left front 10mm right front 13mm rear 3mm. I went to a different system and came back to the same spot in the suspension and all the values had switched front left 13mm front right 3mm and rear 10mm.
This I find very odd as the car was running in park and the compressor did not come on. I have no leaks in my AIRMATIC. it will sit for a month and only move a 1/4 of an inch.
So I figured I would see what it will read in the transmission. I click on the transmission section and the screen comes up then I get a message cannot connect please make sure the system is armed. Could not get codes(if there was any) all other section when I checked for codes if there was none it would say NO DTS. So I figured lets try the engine guess what say error message cannot connect make sure system is armed. Lets try the ECU same message.
Would not even pull my VIN says not recognized. The cluster section you might as well just use the steering wheel controls as you will get more info from that.
If you go to the website it tells you it can do a ton of things
This is the vendor I bought from
www.obd2tech.com - iCarsoft i980 Mercedes Benz Diagnostic Scan Tool Reader
Also was not told to after I paid that you cannot upgrade from a Mac must be Windows based computer only. Yes I should have asked, but now a days you think everything is both formats. The X431 idag you can order either.
I have the iPhone/iPad version coming. The reason I went with this over the iPad mini is I always have my phone on me and the older iPads are getting cheap. It will work with any generation as long as you are running OS 6 or newer. If you go with the iPad mini I do not think you can use your iPhone and you cannot use a full size iPad
I will give it some more test tomorrow and will film with the iPhone instead of the Gopro just smaller video so easier to upload.
Then you can judge for your self
I am trying to return the i980 but having a very hard time. The vendor said no refunds then I pointed out on the web site it says 15 days. Then he said who said no refunds.
I will make a quick video tomorrow or Sunday and you can see for yourself.
It says you can program keys and program new parts but I really cannot see that happening.
The instruction manual is vague at best.

Can't wait for this , thank you so much for doing the research!!

I bought the x431 harness but have not yet bought the $66 software

If there is some way we can share the x431 software passwords/code I will be happy to split costs with you
I do not think you can split costs on the software as you need to enter the scanner serial number that came with in the package.
But I am not 100% sure on that.
I have had a member post on a posting of mine that you can set the height of the car remove the speed limiter on the car and program new parts.

·
Outstanding Contributor
1,916 Posts
I have the X431 iDiag and yes you can remove the speed limiter, it can program parts, but if I need to program parts I'll get it done with a star. The X431 is great for reading and erasing codes and can read all the modules. It even as adaptions of the different settings e.g. suspension hieghts. It can be used for live data and lots more.

It is always good to hear about what other readers are out on the market, thank you for letting us know the i980 is not worth getting.
If you want to see some screen shots of the X431 check this thread out http://www.benzworld.org/forums/w220-s-class/1962673-taking-one-everyone.html

Dean

·
Registered
1,582 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I have the X431 iDiag and yes you can remove the speed limiter, it can program parts, but if I need to program parts I'll get it done with a star. The X431 is great for reading and erasing codes and can read all the modules. It even as adaptions of the different settings e.g. suspension hieghts. It can be used for live data and lots more.

It is always good to hear about what other readers are out on the market, thank you for letting us know the i980 is not worth getting.
If you want to see some screen shots of the X431 check this thread out http://www.benzworld.org/forums/w220-s-class/1962673-taking-one-everyone.html

Dean
Hey Dean
You actually convinced me on the X431 in another one of my posts. I could not get it soon enough to test the S55 so I grabbed the iCarsoft i980 as I could get it locally.
I could not get the 2003 S55 into the dealer till Dec and the indie shop I deal with was a week. The car lot that the S55 is at did not want to wait that long. So I figured I would grab a scanner pull the codes if any look them up and then I could bring the car to my friend's shop and have a general look over for brakes, steering, undercarriage, leaks suspension (bushings, ball joints etc). My friend is any excellent mechanic but not a Mercedes/European car mechanic. So I doubt he could pull the codes.
Never even used it on the 2003 S55 as it would not read my cars transmission etc, all the things you would want to read on a used car before buying.
I bought it Nov 11 2014 and guess what I ordered the X431 idag later on that night.
From what you have said on my other post about it it sounds that it works well. The iCarsoft i980 claims a lot and does not deliver.
What I really did not like is the car has not moved and the values for the suspension switched. All the same values just at different areas.
I am trying to send the i980 back having a heck of a time. So I might be stuck with it. I will be shooting a video with my iPhone to show what it will do and will not do. I hope the vendor takes it back but he is being kind of a jerk about it.
I inquired about returning it as it would not do what I mentioned and he said you can return it but I will not refund. So I screen shot his site where it states 15 day no hassle return for exchange, refund or store credit. Then I get an email back saying who said that we would not refund. I sent the email back to him where he said no refunds. I even went directly to iCarsoft and mentioned the issues with it, they were a bit more helpful.
The vendor I bought from I told them that I will just file a dispute with my credit card( I did).
On the other hand X431 idag I emailed to ask question they have much better customer service answered all questions. It should be here this week some time.
I am going to test the major systems on my car with the i980 later today or tomorrow just in case I do get to return it. Then I will do the same tests with the X431 idag for iPhone/iPad. Sorry it will be on my phone so screen will be small but figured it is still bigger then the i980 screen. If I grab an iPad before it gets here that will be great but I doubt I will.
The iPad will only be for the X431
If the X431 works as well as it says I might look at buying a few and sell them locally so no waiting on getting one.
If there is someone else local that wants to meet up and we can try the i980 on their car and see what we get send me a PM. Then we can film the results on it as well.
I posted my Star test from May and all components communicated with Star.
So I know it is not my ECU or transmission, engine. I have no CEL on no warnings etc. My suspension does not leak(knock on wood). The only issue I have is the mirror on the passenger side, which people on the forum figure it is the door switch for the seats on my driver's door.
The real reason I bought the i980 was to test vehicles I am looking at before bring in for a pre-inspection. Also if I had an issue with mine I could scan it. As you know almost every time you ask for help in the forum people want to know codes. At one hour shop rate to pull codes it adds up quickly.
I just do not trust the readings I am getting form the i980 to be accurate so I would not buy a car after reading the codes. If it would not have switched around the values on my suspension with the car not moving, running etc I would have had more faith in it

·
Registered
1,582 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
third batch

So with every major system I get the same error. The last picture is of my dash running no warnings.
Think what you will but I am trying to return this.
When the X431 idag comes I will give it a try
This is just my opinion save your money and buy something better. Or see if there are a couple people in your area a chip in on a Star.
I was not expecting it to do what Star does. According to the web site you can program keys, program parts, reset all codes, live data and so on.
In my experience I cannot get it do do anything. The user manual is a joke
IMG_0266.jpg

IMG_0267.jpg

IMG_0268.jpg

IMG_0269.jpg

IMG_0270.jpg

·
Registered
8,448 Posts
Has anyone on the Benz forums used this icarsoft successfully ?
Might want to check and contact those members before returning it if there's some way to get past all the communication errors

I've never seen this product reviewed by any Benz forum member

·
Registered
1,582 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Has anyone on the Benz forums used this icarsoft successfully ?
Might want to check and contact those members before returning it if there's some way to get past all the communication errors

I've never seen this product reviewed by any Benz forum member
There was a member in the ML section that bought one and did basic tests.
I tried it on two Mercedes with the results.

·
Registered
1,582 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
why not buy a C3? Cost me a bit over $400 and I can do whatever the hell I want with the car.
The main reasons I bought this scanner is the claims it made and was local. Funny thing I found out the vendor I bought from sells the C3 or C4
www.obd2tech.com - Mercedes Benz MB Star Compact 4 C4 SD connect
The vendor I would not buy from again, not very willing to help in anyway
Wanted to scan the 2003 S55 before I brought it for a pre-purchase inspection
Also for me the C3 requires a Windows based laptop, I am Mac
To be honest I am leaning to grabbing the C3 or C4
The price of the i980 not needing a laptop fit in the glove box, what the site said it will do made it a great choice.
For something I might use twice a year or so The $180 plus tax was a factor. Also I was not looking to get into the developer part of my ECU so for the average weekend warrior/DYI person the i980 makes prefect sense till you buy one.
In my opinion a complete waste of money
I did a real test was not asking the scanner to rewrite my car, just to pull codes it says it can do. It my opinion it is just an over priced OBDII generic code reader like the ones you can buy on eBay for $20 but it will give you live data if it is accurate I do not know as like I mentioned with my suspension the car not moving, running in park I went and looked at the values. Then I went to look at another system and came back and all the values were the same just in different places

·
Registered
71 Posts
I paid 145 for my i980. :wink
Works fine for looking up codes but that is. I never had the joy to use any of the other MB scanners.

·
Registered
8,448 Posts
So basically the i980 is a glorified obd code reader

Supposedly the x431 can alter suspension height , that's what I would like to see

·
Registered
71 Posts
A code reader with a color screen that is. The x431 you guys talk about is not the Launch x431 i suppose, or is it? There is very little to be found about. I would be amazed if this scanner could do that. This scanner is known to work on various Japanese imports that normal obd scanner can't.

·
Registered
8,448 Posts
Yes the launch x431

Pinkster reviewed it a bit , said it could be able to alter w220 ride height but afaik he did not actually use to change the ride height

Johnkss actually did use it to lower the car and says it works in the other thread you found

and I'm looking toward to see what schalmers does with it

·
Outstanding Contributor
1,916 Posts
As Johnksss pointed out it does actually change the ride height http://www.benzworld.org/forums/w220-s-class/1962673-taking-one-everyone-9.html#post9035737

No I didn't lower my car and if you have seen what is called a road here in queensland you would understand why I didn't. Our freeways here are rough and patched up all over the place, in short our roads suck! The X431 in question is the Launch X431 iDiag it comes in 2 formats one for iOS devices and the other for Android devices. I have found it to be a wonderful device for testing and code reading, I'm not sure if I would trust one for programming any important parts of the car though as it is a reverse engineered version of the MB SDS.

I leave mine in the glovebox of the car that way if I have a problem it doesn't matter where I am, it's possible to check it out.

As a side note you will find your cars will almost always not be at the calibrated level set in the Airmatic system. Before you try measuring your suspension hieght it is always best to raise the car with the Airmatic raise button and then to lower it with the button, as this will set the car at the calibrated level. Once that has been done you are at the starting point to adjust your settings or just to check the height.

Dean

·
Registered
8,448 Posts
Great info dean

I have the obd2 connector for the x431 with all these positive reviews I guess it's time for me to pay $66 for the software

Anyone know if there's a way to share the software to save costs?

·
Registered
1,582 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I paid 145 for my i980. :wink
Works fine for looking up codes but that is. I never had the joy to use any of the other MB scanners.
The i980 I cannot even get into airbag system to look up codes of my car just a lot of error messages. I was not even asking it to do anything difficult
I bought it because I have a 2003 S55 well under market price. They gave me a lower price then what I offered but it needs to go today or tomorrow. So no time to run it into an indie or a dealer.
I have tried the i980 on two different MBs with the same results

So basically the i980 is a glorified obd code reader

Yes at a much higher price. But you do get live sream

Supposedly the x431 can alter suspension height , that's what I would like to see
Yes I have read this in my one of my other posts. My X431 idag is Ontario not sure if it is coming today or tomorrow.
Thinking about this $180 + tax= $202.40 for i980
$104.62 + $75 software + $103.89 iPad =$283.51
So for this test $485.91 Canadian or $430.27 US I could have bought a C3/C4 and then grabbed a Windows based Laptop.
Right enough I did not have to buy a iPad but figured a bigger screen would be nice. If the X431 is like the i980 then I have a first generation iPad.

The whole reason I wanted the iCarsoft i980 was all in one, needed it in a hurry, claims to do everything you need(reprogram keys, parts read all codes and so on), can leave in glove box
Thought it would be great for looking at codes when buying a different Mercedes. Do not have to drag a laptop, quick and easy.
So if you want to waste your read the paragraph below and save yourself $10

I am running a special right now I am pulling codes from your car via telepathically. Can reprogram any key, get into the ECU developer section, reprogram any new part whatever your Benz needs for $160.00 Canadian. Your car can be in any part of the world you will recieve an email with the codes, then after the first start keys, parts and changes will be made in developer section.
The above is a joke this way I feel about the i980.

See I like the X431 for the same reason no laptop I always have my phone with me, so if I have issues or a stumble on a car I have the diagnostic capabilities with me. I was leaning towards this when pinkster/Dean posted about the X431 in another posting I had. My issue was I needed it the same fast.
I have more faith in the X431 idag as Dean and Johnkss actually was able to do something with it.
Dean posted a screen shot showing he can access the speed limiter on his W220. Johnkss actually lowered his car.
All I want is to read all codes, reset codes and program parts I replace. For example if I need to put a SRS seat sensor in the car want to be able to rest the codes and have the computer recognize the new part

Yes the launch x431

Pinkster reviewed it a bit , said it could be able to alter w220 ride height but afaik he did not actually use to change the ride height

Johnkss actually did use it to lower the car and says it works in the other thread you found

and I'm looking toward to see what schalmers does with it
Well I will post the findings on it as well. If I cannot get them to take back the i980 I will do side by side comparison. Anyone in the Toronto area is more the welcome to come and help with the test so there would be two different cars

As Johnksss pointed out it does actually change the ride height http://www.benzworld.org/forums/w220-s-class/1962673-taking-one-everyone-9.html#post9035737

No I didn't lower my car and if you have seen what is called a road here in queensland you would understand why I didn't. Our freeways here are rough and patched up all over the place, in short our roads suck! The X431 in question is the Launch X431 iDiag it comes in 2 formats one for iOS devices and the other for Android devices. I have found it to be a wonderful device for testing and code reading, I'm not sure if I would trust one for programming any important parts of the car though as it is a reverse engineered version of the MB SDS.

I leave mine in the glovebox of the car that way if I have a problem it doesn't matter where I am, it's possible to check it out.

As a side note you will find your cars will almost always not be at the calibrated level set in the Airmatic system. Before you try measuring your suspension hieght it is always best to raise the car with the Airmatic raise button and then to lower it with the button, as this will set the car at the calibrated level. Once that has been done you are at the starting point to adjust your settings or just to check the height.

Dean
Good point about raising lowering. Wish I would have held out and stalled the car lot on the S55. My issue was that the dealership could not get the car into till Dec 6(this was last week) and the indie shop I use till the end of this week.
So here I am in the same boat not knowing what codes the 2003 S55 has and the car lot wanting me to buy without a pre-purchase inspection for $200 less then I offered. They were asking $9500 I offered $7700 they came back with $7500 pickup today or tomorrow.
With it's couple of issues I need to pull codes
The two major things SRS in big red letters in the message centre and the trunk does not close properly on the right side. In my posting about the 2003 S55 a member mentioned all the electronics in the trunk that could be damaged because of water or moister

Like I said I was leaning to the X431 idag for iPhone/iPad. I liked that you could use either windows or mac. Being a Mac person latest MacBook Pro, 2014 MacBook Air, 2009 MacBook Pro, 2009 MacBook white, iPone 4, 4s, 6, iPad mini X 2 and various iPods we are a Mac family.
I went with the iPhone/iPad full size, as I doubt I would be able to grab one if the kids mini iPad to scan my car.
The X431 idag will work on any generation of iPhone/iPad as long as the OS is 6 or higher. Why I bought a first generation iPad cheap on eBay.
Customer service said you can share the software between both your iPhone or iPad as long as they are set up from the same computer.

Great info dean

I have the obd2 connector for the x431 with all these positive reviews I guess it's time for me to pay $66 for the software

Anyone know if there's a way to share the software to save costs?
Why not hold off a bit I will be buying the software as soon as I get the unit. Will try it with my iPhone and let you know.
The X431 customer service is much better and I bet they will take returns.
I am actually trying to get the vendor of the i980 to refund. He is being a total jerk about it. I can paste the emails. I but a claim in with the credit card I used to try and get a refund.
My opinion avoid the iCarsoft i980 with all costs.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts