Mercedes-Benz Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I WONDER?? When people lower their's car 3/4 in or less, it is for look or handling? I lowered my...

<br>
SLK to 1.5 in just for look. If this is the same case for some people. Then i believe you can just change the spring pad to the lowest one (even in the lowest pad, you can modify the pad and take an addition 1/4 hieght off the pad, i have also done that modification). This would lower your car to about .50-.75 in. and the dealer would still be able to get your alignment back with the screw. I'm not sure but i think it can be lower the car this way it because when i lower my SLK with H&R spring. I took the front and rear factory spring and compared it hieght with H&R spring. The one thing that i noticed is that, the front H&R spring is only about less then 1/4 of an inch( my friend could not even tell the different in hieght). The rear i could tell that the H&R spring is about 1/2 in. shorter. After the H&R spring and pad is installed. The front pad went from #4 to #1, and the rear pad went from #2 up to #3( because it was too low and my shock were bottom out). As you can see, The pad is what lower the car most not the spring. Even in the springs catalog, it mention that the hieght of the car lower is base on the spring pad. I might just try this method after install my Lorinser spoiler with third brake light on the CLK in about two week.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
With my 320 I lowered it mostly for handling (more)

The drop with H&R's was right at an inch and like I said before the dealer could not get the alignment back to spec with the screw but close enough to not eat through tires. The camber is noticible in the front as well as the back. I also used bilstein sports because I was going for handling. I guess really it is both handling and appearance because the car does not look right with all that wheel well before it is lowered.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
To bmac002...

I did exactly the same thing you did with my springs and shocks. <br> Are you experiencing rattles?<br> May I ask where you're from?<br> <br> Gary

G

·
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
What kind of rattles? My seats squeak and I have the rear deck squeak ...

I have to put my factory wheels back on because at least 2 of my wheels are bent (probably all 4 are bent) and I do not have money to get new ones and would prefer to get some new wheels over fixing mine. I know the front two are bent. I really only notice a wobble around 20mph but it is just more pronounced at 20. When I jacked up the car and spun the wheel standing in front of it you could see it going back and forth. I live in Raleigh NC.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts