Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I own a 2006 E 320 CDI and I have been very impressed with every aspect of this car, especially the fuel economy and the power of the 6 CYL turbo diesel. Now I know there is some law that you cannot import a different model, one that is not actually sold in the US in the new market. What has me thinking is the Wagon is sold here in the USA, and so is the diesel, the one I have. So what would be the big deal if I imported a used diesel wagon? Mechanically, it would be the same car I have now, and any parts for the wagon would also be there, so any Mercedes service center could deal with it.

I originally wanted the wagon, but Mercedes said they only have the sedan for sale in the USA. For $50,000 plus, I felt there should have been a choice. I also have a family, and hate SUV's and similar vehicles. This is the car I want. even if it had 100,000 miles on it. How do I bring one in?

·
Banned
99 Merc S420 (80k Mi) 07 Lexus LS460 (21k Miles)
4,583 Posts
Can't do it (realistically), unless it passes every single DOT/safety/emissions requirement. The US government doesn't view the car as being wagon version of an existing sedan. It is viewed as being a complete new model that must pass though every single test and be fully modified to meet every single US standard. You are looking at years of red tape millions of dollars of testing and several smashed vehicles. This would only make sense if you were looking to get into the importation business and wanted to import a 100's or 1000's of E320CDi wagons. You would have to clear this with Mercedes USA (which will most likely say no) and be 100% sure that Mercedes won't suddenly start selling the same model (as what happened with Europa and the G500 in the late 90's-00), otherwise you will be screwed and left with loads of overpriced vehicles that you can't possibly sell. The only way to get around every regulation is to wait until the car you want is 25 years of age, and then you can bring it without any questions.

·
Registered
'07 GL320CDI
5,102 Posts
mr.xpowerseller is completely correct.

Mercedes fits different rear axle ratio to wagons vs sedans and therefore it's a different drivetrain and therefore it isn't EPA certified.

Then there's the DOT regs on safety features.

·
Registered
GL320 CDI - 2008, '04 Touareg V10 TDI, '85 Unimog U1700, '83 Mitsubishi 4WD turbodiesel PU
525 Posts
And if you want to know more - check with an importer (yellow pages) in the city of your choice. Importing CAN be done with some vehicles, not practical with others. Only your importer knows for sure".:D

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Boy that is depressiong!

All I want is a safe car that gets great MPG and is good for the family. It is strange how the government here defeats itself (they tell us to conserve energy, and when we try, they block us)! It seems our choice here sucks. I am attracted to the new Tesla 4 door wagon that is coming out. buying that would be the ultimate flipping the bird to big oil and the pigs that control our lives!!!

·
Registered
2006 E320 CDI, 2009 ML320 Bluetec, 2009 GL320 Bluetec
1,476 Posts
Not possible.

The DOT items are easy. Emissions no way in hell. The cost of converting the car will exceed the value of the car.

For the most part the engines sold in the US are functionally different than the European engines. Same block, from there they differ greatly down to completely different injectors, ECU's, emissions devices, catalysts...

You can get the same car here ready to go for less. Your best option, sell the car in Europe, take the money and buy the same car here and you will have $4000-$8000 left over.

DB

·
Registered
222.132 & 221.122 & 213.050 & 906.633
10,428 Posts
You can get the same car here ready to go for less. Your best option, sell the car in Europe, take the money and buy the same car here and you will have $4000-$8000 left over.
Even this does not work because he wants a diesel wagon, if I understood right.

·
Registered
E320/E250 Bluetec Ford F350 6.7l
36,202 Posts
The diesel wagon is my dream for several years and having "roots" in Europe I was keeping open eyes for all the option.
To start with -German cars had lot of private import done to US 2 decades ago. When new MB in German saloon cost $9000 , the same model in California would 25000. At the time 2 years old cars in Germany would sell for slightly above 50% original prices, so I know about lot of cars imported here and after spending about $4000 for lights, bumpers and door reinforcement they are still on California roads.
Lately economy made a joke and right now exporting used German cars FROM USA to Europe is humongous business. That apply mostly to costly SUV.
What I would start with is reading the wagon label. MB is making most of their luxury models US compliant, so with good luck the car might have 45 states certification. Smog law on diesel is exempt at least in California, so no worry about it.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts