Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
282 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Right now I am plugging a dual lighter adapter into my cars cigarette lighter. One I'm using for a Sirius S50 radio and the other to recharge my iPhone when needed. The setup works great but doesn't look so good. My goal is to stop using the cars lighter socket so I can keep the ash tray door closed.

I was thinking I would add a dual lighter socket behind the seats. Has anyone added a extra socket or sockets to their SL500 before? Could I wire them in the trunk area and run them into the cab?

A ideas welcome.

·
Registered
315 Posts
Already done it -added 2 new sockets and still lighter too!!

Looks great the lids still close! The lighter stays where it is!

and i converted the useless "center console box" to the cupholder mod!! Search here for "add cupholder to center console"

Ill take pix and post tommorow- Theyre both 10 minute mods and look OEM and classy :D:D

I'll explain how and parts needed including the low profile 2 singles or 2 dual iphone/ipod sockets- Dirt cheap and looks Professional !!

·
Registered
282 Posts
Discussion Starter #3

Looks great the lids still close! The lighter stays where it is!

and i converted the useless "center console box" to the cupholder mod!! Search here for "add cupholder to center console"

Ill take pix and post tommorow- Theyre both 10 minute mods and look OEM and classy :D:D

I'll explain how and parts needed including the low profile 2 singles or 2 dual iphone/ipod sockets- Dirt cheap and looks Professional !!
YES..... That would be great. Fortunately my center console already has the two OEM cup holders. Thanks, I'm looking forward to seeing the pictures on the lighter socket mod.

·
Greek God of the R129
8,364 Posts
I made a lighter socket in the small compartment over the A/C vents.
I didn't like the GPS wires hanging around.

Now for the GPS I installed a flat thin aluminum plate 4"x2" between the upper radio & frame, sticks out about 2 inches with GPS suction cap on it.
Wires come out of the compartment strait to the GPS. :)

The power wires are running behind the A/C to an ign. controlled power.
It is a long time, I don't remember from where I picked the power. :(

Came out good. :)

Regards,
aam.

·
Registered
716 Posts
end point same

I purchased a Clarion, pop-up screen with Sirius and I pod/phone inputs. For my 94 SL 600 it was a way to bring it into the current communication systems. The USB ports are in the small compartment forward from the transmission gear selector. The I-pod, video input comes thur the ash tray area and can be pulled out for about an 18" range for the cable. Bluetooth handles the phone. being a male, the GPS map system gives me an opportunity to mentally challenge the machine! Overall it is good. distracting with so many features.

·
Sith Lord
11,813 Posts
I made a lighter socket in the small compartment over the A/C vents.
I didn't like the GPS wires hanging around.

Now for the GPS I installed a flat thin aluminum plate 4"x2" between the upper radio & frame, sticks out about 2 inches with GPS suction cap on it.
Wires come out of the compartment strait to the GPS. :)
Pics would be nice :)

I don't remember from where I picked the power. :(
Careful not to tamper with the eject seat wires while installing electronic devices :rolleyes:

·
Registered
282 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
What I'm really trying to accomplish in no wires coming from the dash area. I don't want to plug in anything up there.

Ideally I would like a combination 3 input lighter socket and 2 input USB unit that would come out of the rear storage locker unit with a 18 inch or so cord. I could lay it out on top of the storage area for use or store in in the locker when not in use. Maybe leave it in there 100% of the time?? This way all wires for power with come from the rear of the cab and not from the dash. I just haven't figured out an elegant way to do it yet... But I will.

·
Registered
978 Posts
Lift out the kick panel on the passenger side. You will see a red wire. It is 12 VDC, hot all the time. I hooked my aux. lighter plug into that and mounted the plug back under the passenger dash. There are plenty of locations to hook up the ground.

You can not see it unless you get way down and look up under the dash. Put as many as you want up there. The wires to it run right in and behind the kick panel. Nothing showing. Simple, easy and neat. :thumbsup:

·
Greek God of the R129
8,364 Posts
Yes I also run the USB connector, and some other radio input stuff in there. ;)
The reason that I installed the lighter input is because I can't cut the GPS plug, the traffic antenna is also a part of it.

Vader,
You guys can fart pictures... to me are like hemorrhoids.

I am not picture posting handy.
I always forget the how. :(
I am also aware that it is ridiculous easy.....
Oh well, this is MY DARK side.

I don't mind laughing at my self.
It is part of the wisdom getting in, then getting out. Lol.

Mike,
Like you said, I did remove the panel, etc.
I picked up the power from an ign. control wire.
So when the ign. is off everything is off.

I don't want to have power with out key on.
You know memory is not what it used to be. Lol.

Regards,
aam.

·
Registered
873 Posts
To post pictures, choose "Go Advanced", scroll down to "Additional Options" and click on "Attach Files", click on "Choose File" (Upload File from your Computer), a box comes up that says "Open", click on the blue box on the upper right with a down arrow (I assume you are running some Windows), navigate to the Folder that has the attachment, click on the file or picture, Select "Open", click "Upload" and if Your file does not exceed the forum's limit of 200.0 KB for this file type, and if it's size is acceptable, the file name will show at the bottom - "Preview Post" and if all looks good, "Submit Reply" - here is my current guitar rig, sold the old ones in the picture to the left (plus I grew out my hair!)

Attachments

·
Greek God of the R129
8,364 Posts
Thanks, :)
But my eyes got glazed / I got lost reading the first line. :(

It is more then that, my sons upgrade the computer, and supply me with new cameras, uploading the camera is one obstacle, the other one you
all know.
I have given up don't need the pressure.
When you get older, you will understand...... Lol.

Don't know much about guitars either.
I think that one of RedLiner's talents is in to that. :)

Regards,
aam.

·
Registered
315 Posts
Now for some pics its still a work in progress

Now for some pics its still a work in progress

As you can see I used 1 belkin USB low profile socket 24.95--
and kit

but they also have a dual belkin USB low profile socket 39.99-----kits include the iphon2USB cable AND the 110volt charger too!!

Both at Walmart!

the actual dual socket they go in was purchased from a truck stop----heavy duty single2Dual lighter converter---cut the single side off--shave the leftside as per pic--

you will need to remove the ashtray and the lghter black plastic assbly---solder your wires to the two metal contacts bared by shaving the leftside--see pic--connect those to the lighter feed--finally while the ashtray blue plastic is out tap a hole and connct the shaved dual adapter to it as per pic--

NOTEs
the screw should be black and new for the connecting the black plastic assmbly((mine wasnt))

thye iphone2USB cable can go thru side and under the center console (w/o removing the console) - looks better coming out both sides next to seats(havent done that yet)

You can use 2 dual belkins for "4" 5volt usb sockets and use the lighter for a std 12v plug!!

Quick and dirty with no thought using what io already had on hand 25mins start 2 finish !!

Its a whole lot easier than it sounds-
If you use better materials and hide everything like i sd not as i did then it will look professional- I just been too busy holiday, climate control issues, work and all

Good luck if u decide to do it !!

·
Greek God of the R129
8,364 Posts
Looking at your pictures, I can see that you do a lot of screwing in your car. Haha.

My plug installation was in the useless center glass compartment.

Great job you did. :)

Now get those screws out before the jump in to the socket. ;)

Regards,
aam.

·
Registered
282 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Nice work in progress pictures using the ash tray area on your 91 but my 96 has a wood flip door that I don't want wires coming out of. IMHO it spoils the look of the dash/console area. In the words of U2'S Bono "I still haven't found what I'm looking for" I want the socket to come out of the storage compartment behind the passenger seat so no wires come off the dash or center console. The wires would come from behind and tuck next to the console and the passenger seat and just plug into the device that you want to charge or use. I just need to find a 12V wire and a good routing to the storage area or another elegant way to do it... Maybe from under the seat??? I really don't want to remove the console:confused:

·
Premium Member
583 Posts
With all these concerns about gadgetry, I wonder if you youngsters ever find time to actually enjoy the ride.

Jack

·
Registered
282 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
With all these concerns about gadgetry, I wonder if you youngsters ever find time to actually enjoy the ride.

Jack
LOL.... 3 things
1. Please define "youngster"
2. Do you have a cell/mobile phone?
3. Do you ever find having a GPS useful or do you use maps?

·
Greek God of the R129
8,364 Posts
Nice work in progress pictures using the ash tray area on your 91 but my 96 has a wood flip door that I don't want wires coming out of. IMHO it spoils the look of the dash/console area. In the words of U2'S Bono "I still haven't found what I'm looking for" I want the socket to come out of the storage compartment behind the passenger seat so no wires come off the dash or center console. The wires would come from behind and tuck next to the console and the passenger seat and just plug into the device that you want to charge or use. I just need to find a 12V wire and a good routing to the storage area or another elegant way to do it... Maybe from under the seat??? I really don't want to remove the console:confused:
If your storage box has a light in it....
Pick your line from that, then you will only remove the box.
I don't know if the watts are OK for what you want to connect.
But for small items it will be OK.

Regards,
aam.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts