Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 20 of 212 Posts

·
66,894 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I thought long and hard about my next car and I even have a 400E right on my radar but now I am thinking of switching brands. Today, on my way to DC an Alero passed me and I had an epiphany: The darn thingy looks like a CLK!
I then asked myself, WTF am I doing? GM is really best!

·
Outstanding Contributor Always Remembered RI
52,804 Posts
I thought long and hard about my next car and I even have a 400E right on my radar but now I am thinking of switching brands. Today, on my way to DC an Alero passed me and I had an epiphany: The darn thingy looks like a CLK!
I then asked myself, WTF am I doing? GM is really best!
As ugly as it looks to me, the GLK has actually proved to be a good car, hope the GM is on the same level, quality wise.

·
52,804 Posts
Well, GMISBEST.
If you say so, granted you did not say GM is fucking best. Whatever happened to GMISBEST anyway?

·
Premium Member
43,635 Posts
The 500E is great, but any performance auto from any brand now can run circles around it. The new cars are faster than ever and no one seems to know. Weird. Probably for the best though, don't want to give the Prius dipshits something to think about.

·
52,804 Posts
The 500E is great, but any performance auto from any brand now can run circles around it. The new cars are faster than ever and no one seems to know. Weird. Probably for the best though, don't want to give the Prius dipshits something to think about.
Drive the BMW M6, and find out all about it, but it must be manual, the auto is not so cool.

·
Cruise Control
52,233 Posts
You can now buy a Subaru or Mitsubishi that will outperform a 500E on paper, but the latter still retains an engineering pedigree and build quality edge that should appeal to discerning buyers who wouldn't be satisfied with the former.

·
52,804 Posts
You can now buy a Subaru or Mitsubishi that will outperform a 500E on paper, but the latter still retains an engineering pedigree and build quality edge that should appeal to discerning buyers who wouldn't be satisfied with the former.
Both Subaru and Mitsubishi make great engines, but the car build quality is severely lacking.

·
Premium Member
43,635 Posts
The WRX and Lancer derivations are great, but fwd based and a bitch to keep on the road before and after 100k miles. The all new M5, the AMG E Series, and even the V Series CTS can all literally run circles around the Sub and Mit on race courses that have any length as in the real world. Plus the V, M, and AMG can be serviced far easier after 100k miles.

*The only problem now is the useless technology/complexity the Germans keep placing on high end cars. The new M5 is the poster boy for this.

·
52,804 Posts
I think the 500 will become a classic. Not due to the year, but rarity and aplomb.
I honestly think most cars built on the square frame syndrome will become classic but rarity is an open subject in the classic car world.

·
Premium Member
43,635 Posts
The 500E was a very good and practical car. It will never be a hardcore classic. Hardcore classics have to have some fatal flaw, people will not pay for quality.

·
Registered
1,583 Posts
You could always get a Chrysler Crossfire, that's pretty much a CLK underthe hood at a much lower price, albeit one made by Chrysler...

·
Registered
2,368 Posts
Dear gods, in general I like GM products, but that's the most boring vanilla fucking car ever fucking made. If you buy one, I'll help elbeik torch your basement.

·
66,894 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I had a 1 PM appointment to see this car today
1992 Mercedes E400
but it was raining and I felt that I wasn't enough of a good driver to go there and then test the car. Basically the wuss factor was big and heavy!
I have a feeling that it's growing and my trip to CT might end up being a fantasy:eek:

1 - 20 of 212 Posts