Mercedes-Benz Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
w126 420 sel
622 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
so i am heading back from the so cal meet which was pretty cool. there were a lot more benzes there. so anyway, the car was running nice and strong until i was close to my exit. i noticed i was going 45mph on the freeway, so i pressed on the pedal for speed. the car felt like it was slipping or something, i turned on my hazards and gradually slowed down. then i hear one hard knock sound. i ended up rolling to a stop in the middle of the intersection. i kept revving the engine which somewhat help me finally roll to the side of the road. the car was finally towed home.[B)]
do these symptoms lead to the transmission? the car now has 175,000+ miles. is that an average life span for w126 transmissions?

·
Registered
1991 300 SE
18,534 Posts
No. I got 220,000 or so on an original tranny – a bunch more on the 300 D. You didn’t just blow an oil line or something? That happened to me, lost all my ATF and had to have her towed. Usually they don’t just go like that – when was the last service?

·
Registered
81' 300SD, 82' 300D
4,021 Posts
Properly cared for MB trannys can last for 300K mi+. Try this before you start looking for a new or rebuilt tranny. Put a some trans-x in the tranny, and try shifting it through the gears. It may take a while, but if it works, drive it for a few hours, making sure to shift through the gears a lot. I heard that reversing it often will be well. After that, change the fluid, filter, drain the converter also. Put new proper fluid in, as well as a new filter, and new gasket too. That might help.
-Joe

·
Registered
w126 420 sel
622 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
can you explain the hard one time knock sound, either way, transmission or not, i think we are going to have the transmission replaced.

·
Registered
124 Posts
I Went to my mechanic to have my transmission fulid changed he said that It would be a bad idea showing me the bolts on the transmission and how they have never been removed since there was no tread marks, a car with as many miles as mine 144000 changing the fulid may cause sliping. should I do it anyway?? and what is this filter converter and gasket that you mentioned??

·
Mercedes
9,049 Posts
My sympathies... its not the flex disk? I have no clue what could cause a "one time knock". Where did the sound come from, front or rear?

·
Registered
1991 300 SE
18,534 Posts
Mark420 - 2/6/2005 1:03 PM

I Went to my mechanic to have my transmission fulid changed he said that It would be a bad idea showing me the bolts on the transmission and how they have never been removed since there was no tread marks, a car with as many miles as mine 144000 changing the fulid may cause sliping. should I do it anyway?? and what is this filter converter and gasket that you mentioned??
The torque converter has its own drain plug, the filer keeps the fluid clean the gasket is between the transmission housing and the lower pan. Are you saying with almost 115,000 miles your car has never had the ATF changed? I guess the mechanic thinks the internal parts are being held together by varnish and sludge. I find that hare to believe. I hope it’s not true. How’s the tranny working now?

[?]

·
Registered
85 300 SD
276 Posts
i know what can cause a one-time knock...a B2 piston...go to * and click on "articles"...then look for B2 in the transmission section....read the symptoms carefully, and if your car exhibits them, you can be back on the road for around $200...i just replaced mine and it runs like new...

you have got to be kidding me...i cant write a websites address in a post??? anyhow the website is M B Zdot org

·
1991 500SEC Euro, 1987 560SEC Federal
5,543 Posts
Hi 85DRTY,

Good info, i just dragged & dropped the URL, and then couldn't get the transmission ONLY to display, and like you, anything else for that matter.

MBL

·
Registered
67 Posts
You're local so try these guys. I had mine exchanged there about three years ago and it has been sweet since.

They also have some great information on troubleshooting the MB trans. Also for the Diesel guys.

www.mercedesdismantlers.com

These guys also do the rebuilds for most of the other resellers.

Ciao, Brian

·
Registered
86 560SEL
1,324 Posts
After driving mine with a slipping, leaking and sometimes stucked in gear tranny for almost a year, I replaced mine with a rebuilt. At least I don't have to worry about being stuck somewhere or nowhere. Everytime when changing fluid from the old tranny, there always some debris coming out. Guess something inside were breaking apart.

·
Registered
124 Posts
The only thing is that it kicks hard from first gear to second, and that about it I do have this problem however, it wont go past 80mph I was told that it is a clogged cat do you think that the fact that none of those things you mentioned have never been replaced or changed have anything to do with it?

·
Premium Member
SLK55 (2006) C36 (1995)
3,288 Posts
sunvalley

Yeah, i had my tranny done at the same shop, they fulfilled the warranty too, but they left my car parked outside overnight!!! I won't be going back.

·
Premium Member
W-1-2-3 Go!
16,161 Posts
blue420sel - 2/5/2005 9:05 PM

i ended up rolling to a stop in the middle of the intersection.
I'm glad nobody hit you![:0]

Cyberdakon, your SEC is lovely! That grille is such a nice touch [;)] Wish I came earlier so I could have seen your car opened up, I came 30 minutes late.[:(]

·
Premium Member
SLK55 (2006) C36 (1995)
3,288 Posts
Thanks, you should have asked karugs!, i would have done it for you!

i think i saw your car, you had the hood up right? Looks awesome! i have a picture of it!

·
Premium Member
W-1-2-3 Go!
16,161 Posts
Thanks man! But I didn't want to be rude and just ask you out of the blue. Next meet (I think there'll be another one in March) I'll make sure to check yours out some more!

Yup, Doug (Citron) told me to pop the hood as he's already seen it before at the August 2004 meet. Thanks, I wish I took pics myself!

1 - 17 of 17 Posts