Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
SL63 Iridium Silver Metallic
705 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So, I was out enjoying the top down, slow scenic driving today, and figured I would treat my baby to a premium car wash and detail, (she has been doing so good lately). So, I pull in after driving for 30 minutes, and while car is idling before the attendant drives the car, she quits running on me.

I let her cool down, there are no errors popping up, (battery warnings, or check engine light.). Though that was weird. Let her rest for about 15 minutes, and she purred like kitten, and stopped 5 minutes later. My Automotive Tech friend says, based on the symptoms, baby needs a new crank position sensor.

So, long story, called AAA, got her to the stealer-ship. They will look at car in morning. This seems to be an MSRP $140 part, as I have google'd, but what about the installation ? is this just a screw on and plug in thing ?! Where is this located, and can an ametuer nut job (like me) do it in his driveway ?

Is there a diagram of this somewhere maybe ?!

I would appreciate any info regarding this, as I will get estimate from dealer tomorrow, but unsure of what they think they want for installation and labor and 28 other fees.

THANKS GUYS & GALS ! :bowdown:

·
Registered
705 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Yep, Crank Position Sensor

$500-ish to fix. Eh, could've been worse. (electronic ignition I've heard is $2,000 !)

So if you have these symptoms, it is likely the Crank Position Sensor.

·
Registered
Several MB's
352 Posts
$500-ish to fix. Eh, could've been worse. (electronic ignition I've heard is $2,000 !)

So if you have these symptoms, it is likely the Crank Position Sensor.
They should string up the dealers by their balls. I replaced mine on my SL55. It takes at most 1/2 hour and the part can be purchased for approximately $45. $500 is outrageous but I'm sure they put a few scratches on the car at no extra cost.

·
Registered
705 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
wow !

They should string up the dealers by their balls. I replaced mine on my SL55. It takes at most 1/2 hour and the part can be purchased for approximately $45. $500 is outrageous but I'm sure they put a few scratches on the car at no extra cost.
Well, I was having a good day, thanks LOU K ! Ha Ha, Just kidding.

Well, I figured if i bought it on eBay, plus shipping, plus waiting a few days, and not having car next week while waiting, and then trying to figure it out, well, I sucked it up and swallowed my pride. While I was there, had my new baby inspected, and they couldn't find anything wrong with it, and all the recommended was a fluid flush, so for $500, I get the car back on the road in less than a day, and have got it back with some peace of mind, that from what they told me, nothing looks out of order, so that is good.

They said the car looked almost brand new, and was obviously meticulously maintained, so, it was all in all, an okay day I guess.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts