Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I bought my C63 for 3 weeks and it is taken back to the Mercedes workshop. On the first day I took the car I asked the sales rep. that did it need run in for the first 1000 km and he said there's no need to. So I accelerated hard, used the manual mode and had fun with it. Until now (around 950 km) I heard that the engine was making some weird noise and it's like not lubricated well.

Guys is it serious? what are the worst things could be?

Many many thanks

·
Registered
387 Posts
A sales rep is not the person to listen to regarding technical stuff. They are trained in bending your mind to sell, or hook you up with a lot of costs.
Go to your dealer and don't mention U pushed it hard, it your word against the sales rep if U are going to mention it.

O yeah, don't forget to put it our of manual mode...

·
Registered
137 Posts
I bought my C63 for 3 weeks and it is taken back to the Mercedes workshop. On the first day I took the car I asked the sales rep. that did it need run in for the first 1000 km and he said there's no need to. So I accelerated hard, used the manual mode and had fun with it. Until now (around 950 km) I heard that the engine was making some weird noise and it's like not lubricated well.

Guys is it serious? what are the worst things could be?

Many many thanks
Wow, well the US manual for the Beast mentions a 1000 mile break-in period. What do you mean as far as the engine not being "lubricated well?" Let's us know what the outcome is.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Hmmm

Well they are supposed to be run in for 1000 miles..did you not read the handbook?. My car also had a windsheild sticker with the run in routine on it. Also would like you to expand on what sort of noise indicates its not lubed well enough...surely some idiot lights would have flashed up in levels where low?
As the car doesnt need an Oil change/service until 12k, I woudl presume the engine has been run in at the factory before being installed in the car, as its more normal to need oil/filter change at 1000-1500 miles on other cars I have had. In which case I would have thought the running in routine wasnt strictly necassary, so it would surprise me that running hard from the get go would create major issues...keep us posted

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
First of all thank you all for the comments, yes it is definitely from the V8 engine and it sounds like some small stones went into the engine and made some rattling noise. but of coz it just sounds like it.

·
Registered
414 Posts
either theres like 87 octane in there and you're pinging to shit or you bent a valve or part of something expensive broke off...

·
Premium Member
7,273 Posts
Is this thread real?:)

·
Registered
672 Posts
It sounds to me like your putting in Regular fuel, instead of Premium or Super Premium!! :O

·
Registered
1 Posts
When I bought my c63 the sales guy told me " The car is broken in before they ship it, so drive it like you stole it". However, I did read my manual and it does state there is a 1000 mile break in required so I babied it. Sales guys often know less than you do about cars. You should always take caution in regards to what they say.

Good Luck getting your car fixed.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Never a good practice to listen to a Sales person vs a Service person. I'm assuming that you went into the dealership with your "I'm a driver and want a drivers car" shoes on. Sales picks up on that and will focus all of their pitch to that end. If you were into safety, you would have walked out of there with the same vehicle, but Sales would have sold you on every safety aspect the car had to offer.

Nothing against Sales folks as that is their job.

·
Registered
21 Posts
If you mean that you hear a more pronounced mechanical sound coming from under the hood when you rev the engine after really pushing it, I have the same thing and wondered if it was a problem as well. I think this is normal to be honest though...I hope. I just took it in for it's 1st rear diff oil change and they said they made sure everything was working well ..no problems so I can only assume it's all good.

·
Registered
5 Posts
yeaa i looked at the manual today for my dad's one to see if he should drive it sanely or insanely, and it says dont rev it past 4500rpm until u've run in the car for approx 1500km.

And even after that, u hafta "baby it" and not jus flog it right away once it ticks past 1500km!!

·
Registered
41 Posts
Its just annoying to hear almost the same thing everywhere about the lack of knowledge of sales persons. The guy that received us to deliver my fathers´W204 AMG didn´t know the basic features of a some equipments. I asked him a few things, he became embarrassed and finish de delivery saying to e-mail him my cuestions.

The same thing occurred to me when I ordered my R171 last week, simple cuestions and the salesman didn´t know.

So I don´t even think to askthem any technical detail like our mate did.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Its just annoying to hear almost the same thing everywhere about the lack of knowledge of sales persons. The guy that received us to deliver my fathers´W204 AMG didn´t know the basic features of a some equipments. I asked him a few things, he became embarrassed and finish de delivery saying to e-mail him my cuestions.

The same thing occurred to me when I ordered my R171 last week, simple cuestions and the salesman didn´t know.

So I don´t even think to askthem any technical detail like our mate did.
From what I find a lot of these salesman are in it just to make a sale. Nothing more. A little bit of product knowledge and courtesy goes a long way. It's like they don't care and just want you to buy it without knowing anything about the vehicle. You can tell they have no passion at all.

Most people today know more about the car they are going to buy then the salesman. As they say..shop for the salesman and not the car.

·
Registered
20 Posts
so, how does it work with the break in period when every sales person I have been with want you to really get on it when test driving? Does that mean if an AMG went out for 6 test drives prior to my purchasing it, that it might have had 6 times of excedence?

·
Premium Member
7,273 Posts
It's been a month and still screwed up....

·
Registered
89 Posts
I am a sales person at a Mercedes dealer in Ohio. ind of insulting to hear that EVERY sales person is an idiot. It's a shame... Just have to determine who takes their job seriously... I will tell you right now, my dealership has some of the most trained and knowledgable sales staff in the country.. BAR NONE!

To the guy with the issue.... you just invested about 65k in a NEW Mercedes.. and you're going to kick the shit out of it with in the first couple weeks of owning it.. BUT it's the salesmans fault you did't take an ounce of pride in your investment? WOW.. if he said it was safe to jump out of a plane with out a parachute... would you have listened to him, or would you have done a little research to find out whether or not it was a good idea? My .02

·
Premium Member
7,273 Posts
I am a sales person at a Mercedes dealer in Ohio. ind of insulting to hear that EVERY sales person is an idiot. It's a shame... Just have to determine who takes their job seriously... I will tell you right now, my dealership has some of the most trained and knowledgable sales staff in the country.. BAR NONE!
I agree, not every sales person is an idiot. But that's not saying much.:)

·
Registered
3 Posts
My sales person told me the same thing. Said that it was factory broken in and that I should drive it as I please. After reading this thread now I'm disappointed with my dealership.

1 - 20 of 45 Posts