Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
97 SL500
1,259 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
sometimes when i put either of the blinkers all the dashboard lights would flash for a second or when i turned on the headlights. also noticed that at idle the oil pressure would be at 1 and at crusing it went up to max at 3. is normal for the oil pressure?

·
Registered
483 Posts
Things you noticed

Pre 95 Sls have some great little electrical gremlins
My 300SL had the same problem, its a bad relay in the dash....not hard to fix..... I had a problem where even with the key off the Lights were still on. The relay was stuck closed therefore making contact when it shouldn't. I got a used one for like 25 bucks but you can get it new for 60-70 from the benzbin.com. It shouldn't discourage you from buying it if its a good price. Its not a big problem at all.

Your obviously not a religious Mercedes owner like myself. Not a bad thing[:D]. All Mercedes that year and before idle between 1 and 2 and go above 3 under acceleration. Totally normal. The needle "surging" is a bad thing.

Andy

·
Registered
SL500, ML320, E320
538 Posts
Be more specific please ?

Andy, could you please be specific in what it was you replaced ? It was suggested I check a voltage regular chips on the heat sink-- the dealership service guy just scratched his head... could you please advise what you replaced and where it is ??
thanks
CQRT in AZ

·
Registered
300SL
9 Posts
Hi CQRT,

The turn signal relay is a potential candidate for making the instrument light...

Hi CQRT,

The turn signal relay is a potential candidate for making the instrument lights flash if the relay has a short-circuit winding in pre-1996 clusters. Didn't think about this one earlier.

Don't expect dealership service guys to repair clusters and board computers to the component level They just replace whole assemblies and charge $,$$$
[}:)]

·
Registered
SL500, ML320, E320
538 Posts
thanks for the advice !

You're right NPI . . . the dealer would be happy to shove a $2200 bill up my tailpipe for a whole new cluster... will definitely try your approach. I appreciate your counsel!
CQRT in AZ

1 - 5 of 5 Posts