Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
190e 1992 2.3 Mercedes
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Had a coolant leak that traced to the fan clutch switch/temperature sensor. tightened and broke it and replaced it. Found out the secret is taking the thermostat housing and bolt beside sensor out. Now that it is all back together (ordered a sensor off ebay that was junk so had to order another) I turn the key and a quick whoosh of the electric fan and nothin. Nothing like no starter, no hiss or boom.On second turn of the key it is like the key is locked out and can not make the complete turn that would start the starter. Checked all fuses and replaced them. Checked the low coolant sensor seems plugged in. Everything works like fan and lights and radio....Battery is charded and nothing over there seems damaged in anyway.http://www.benzworld.org/forums/images/smilies/surrender.gif

·
Registered
'87--190E 2.3-16v(being rebuilt), '99--C230 Kompressor
3,488 Posts
check your grounds? make sure they are all tightened down and free of corrosion?
do you have internal lights? radio?

·
Registered
190e 1992 2.3 Mercedes
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
grounds

I do have lights inside ,radio,fan...horn.I ll check ground as it must be something like that.

·
Registered
1992 190E 2.3 Auto
83 Posts
I Have to replace my temp switch, I'm waiting for it on the mail, but I don't see much space to work with a wrench around.

Is there any trick to get the coolant switch out? (3 prong one)??:confused:

·
Registered
190e 1992 2.3 Mercedes
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
Removing the Temp sensor in a 190e

At the least the bolt to the right of the sensor must be removed along with the protective cover for the spark plug wires ( removed easily by sliding it up) . It is a snap. I also removed the thermostat housing part in front of the sensor for more wrench room by taking the two bolts out that face the radiator and hold the thermostat down to water pump pipe to the engine. That means have some gasket maker handy. Now there is a ton of room to turn the sensor and turn it from the bottom. If the wrench is tilted upward you might somehow accidentally turn the plastic top of the sensor and kill it like I did. Oh also if the plug on top is broken the multi colored blue and black and green and black are for the fans magnetic clutch and can go on either of the two side by side posts. I under stand that you can test the temp gauge by turning the key to on with out starting and grounding the temp sensor wire to the engine.

·
Registered
98 SLK230K AMG, 98 E55T, 89 2.5-16
213 Posts
hi,

to make things easier, i use a deep socket with a ratchet. that way, i dont have to take anything else apart except the sensor i want to remove.

hope this helps.

regards,
Ray

·
Registered
190e 1992 2.3 Mercedes
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
make it easy

You can not use a ratchet on the three pin temp sensor of the 190e series as the top plastic sticks out blocking the turning point form a socket

·
Registered
190e 1992 2.3 Mercedes
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Could water that I rinsed antifreeze off engine have got into distributor or coil? Could that have caused the car not to want to start?

·
Registered
98 SLK230K AMG, 98 E55T, 89 2.5-16
213 Posts
usually, if water got into the distributor like after an engine wash, the engine would still turn well, and start (usually) altho you'd have very rough idling till all the moisture inside the cap is dried up. at least that is my experience on this instance.
if you ground the temp sensor wire when key is on, the temp gauge should shoot up to max.

regards,
ray

1 - 10 of 10 Posts