Mercedes-Benz Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
If you mean the factory COMAND, then no...

It would cost more than $5K and I wouldn't trust any tech, dealer or not, to do it right.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Where do you get these numbers from?

How do u come to the conclusion that it is 5k dollars, do u have any idea of what you are talking about...? Stop putting up posts with the assumption that they contain factual information, where really you make up the facts in your head and believe them.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Re: Where do you get these numbers from?

There have been multiple discussions on the MBWorld.org CLK forum on this exact same topic. One person was quoted almost $4K just for parts and another owner's dealer gave him estimate of $5K+ to do the retrofit (parts + labor).<br> <br> The main problem is that M-B makes separate wiring harnesses for each car. If a car is ordered without a particular option, the wiring for that option is not included in the harness. This is described in detail on the factory tour in Sindelfingen.<br> <br> FYI, I would be more likely to question the story about the company that makes the OEM COMAND system selling it for $895. It's safe to say that the company that makes the OEM COMAND system will be contractually prevented from selling a compatible system that would compete with Mercedes-Benz for market share.<br> <br> Do you think because I disagree with you about the M3/CLK55 competition that I'm a moron? You make M-B owners look bad with that attitude.<br>

G

·
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Re: Re: Where do you get these numbers from?

There are many companies that manufacture OEM replacement equipment and have no need to have a contractual agreement with the OEM. I have installed many devices that are compatible with OEM equipment- it is easy to make a different product as long as there are no proprietary codes, etc involved. As a side note on GPS visteon is planing to make such products for some auto makes. <br>

· Registered
371 Posts
Yep, I've had an OEM COMAND installed in my CLK for under $1500 including ALL mercedes par...

Yep, I've had an OEM COMAND installed in my CLK for under $1500 including ALL mercedes parts. The wiring harnesses were retrofitted with the appropriate MB connectors, and the antennea is not located in the rear window. On 00+ models it's the small antenna on the roof used for tele-aid positioning, and an OEM MB splitter is used to tap into that signal for COMAND. On pre-00 cars, the COMAND was never an option so there is no antenna - it must be added and is not hard or expensive to do. Also, I have all the euro only options on my COMAND such as the AUX input in the glove box (perfect for connecting an iPod), RDS, TV button, and British female guide voice (very james bond). Furthermore the system completely integrates with my steering wheel controls, CD changer, tele-aid, would work with the OEM mercedes phone if I had one, and the driving directions appear in my instrument cluster. None of it is "OEM compatible" every part is OEM and the install was factory quality.

Steve ([email protected]) is the guy who does all the installs and does many other factory retrofits and euro only options. He's already added heated seats to my car, Euro OEM xenons, and several other things. Next up is the OEM Mercedes parktronic system that was never offered as an option in the states :0)

· Registered
CLK55/G500/E55/ML55/etc.
1,234 Posts
Re: Yep, I've had an OEM COMAND installed in my CLK for under $1500 including ALL mercedes

Also, I have all the euro only options on my COMAND such as the AUX input in the glove box (perfect for connecting an iPod)
How is aux input a Euro-only option?

-s-

· Registered
CLK55/G500/E55/ML55/etc.
1,234 Posts
Re: lol good looking out scorch, sometimes I type faster than I think. ;0)...

lol good looking out scorch, sometimes I type faster than I think. ;0)
Oh, I was really asking... I thought maybe in some years the Aux input wasn't available in the US with COMAND (like on my G500... weird!) ;)

-s-

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.