Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1997 SL500 LE
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, I have to admit, it wasn't exactly what I was looking for, but it was in such great shape and so pretty that I could not resist. And the price was so good that it will allow me to make some of the modifications we have talked about if I drive it for awhile and find that I want more of a challenge! You know I was looking for a 1998 Sport 500SL with 50-60K miles, and I really thought that black-on-black was my color. But when I saw this Magma Red '97 500SL come up on eBay (#4535119413) Saturday morning and looked at the interior photos, and then at the price, I really fell for it! Of course I ran the carfax and really grilled the Seller about all of the details (which I have learned about here!) and I am very comfortable with the whole situation. It has really cool '01 wheels and brand new tires. I have never seen an interior wood package like this before. It is blond burl on the console, door insets, and steering wheel. Has anyone else? What about the rims? Are they worth keeping? I thought I would drive it for awhile and see if I liked it this way. With the savings in price, maybe I could even pick up a pano roof! I don't want to get too excited b/c the Seller has accepted my deposit but he has not signed the Bill of Sale yet. As soon as he does, I will post some pictures. The canvas top is either really dark brown or black. It is an awesome machine. Thanks, guys, I could not have done this without you--you really helped me so much.

·
Registered
SL500, CL55, E350, E320
3,205 Posts
Not bad for that price. I've never seen a R129 with heated seats and CD but without xenon.

Congratulation and welcome to R129. I like the color.

·
Registered
1997 SL500 LE
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
The price we have agreed to is $20,200, and the seller is having the leather on the driver's seat bolster refinished so it will be perfect, as part of the deal. Did I do okay?

·
Registered
1997 SL500 Anniversary Model 2004 Lexus GX470 F350 Diesel
11 Posts
This car looks like the 40th aniverary model . Is it?

·
Registered
2009 SL550 Silver Arrow Launch Edition, 2013 Mercedes Benz C300 4Matic
986 Posts
Nice find! It does look like a special edition, I remember seeing on the forum under that heading. Good Luck with it. I hope you have better luck than with your last one. Nice color!

·
Premium Member
1999 C-280. & 2000 SL500
426 Posts
ivorystar said:
Well, I have to admit, it wasn't exactly what I was looking for, but it was in such great shape and so pretty that I could not resist. And the price was so good that it will allow me to make some of the modifications we have talked about if I drive it for awhile and find that I want more of a challenge! You know I was looking for a 1998 Sport 500SL with 50-60K miles, and I really thought that black-on-black was my color. But when I saw this Magma Red '97 500SL come up on eBay (#4535119413) Saturday morning and looked at the interior photos, and then at the price, I really fell for it! Of course I ran the carfax and really grilled the Seller about all of the details (which I have learned about here!) and I am very comfortable with the whole situation. It has really cool '01 wheels and brand new tires. I have never seen an interior wood package like this before. It is blond burl on the console, door insets, and steering wheel. Has anyone else? What about the rims? Are they worth keeping? I thought I would drive it for awhile and see if I liked it this way. With the savings in price, maybe I could even pick up a pano roof! I don't want to get too excited b/c the Seller has accepted my deposit but he has not signed the Bill of Sale yet. As soon as he does, I will post some pictures. The canvas top is either really dark brown or black. It is an awesome machine. Thanks, guys, I could not have done this without you--you really helped me so much.
Cannot find that # on ebay. I see a red 40th Anniv edition which matches your description with 9500 miles and a start bid of $59,000. # 250049064003 what is the story??

jaybro

·
Registered
1997 SL500 Anniversary Model 2004 Lexus GX470 F350 Diesel
11 Posts
Lynns I'm sorry , when I saw the car I got excited because I just bought a 40th anniv edition last week on Ebay. 67000 mi. for $18000. Well I bought it last month and just picked it up last week . LOVE it.

·
Registered
2009 SL550 Silver Arrow Launch Edition, 2013 Mercedes Benz C300 4Matic
986 Posts
Never looked at the date of the post! How did that happen?

·
Banned
Y2K SL500 Silver
8,660 Posts
1 - 12 of 12 Posts