Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1990 560SEL CANADA 130,000km (80,778 mi.)
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, 234 pages of it. Had a print shop scale it up to tabloid size (11"x17") and print on medium-weight stock (a.k.a. thick paper). Mainly the engine testing, CIS-E testing, SLS and alignment sections. The improvement in readability is astonishing.

Has anyone else tried printing it in large format? I couldn't find a post on the subject.

I have been reading this manual for two years, and barely understood a thing until now. Although the margins are huge, the increased size of the text and photos/diagrams (with their myriad tiny arrows and labels) is an unbelievable improvement. Not only is it easier to see everything, many of the illustrations are quite beautiful, (if you like that sort of thing). You will notice that the actual printed content could probably fit on letter-sized paper, but the margins are good for handling with dirty fingers.

I highly recommend doing something like this for anyone who has found the digital version of the service manual frustrating, (ever try to balance a laptop on the air cleaner and read it in full sunlight? I know you have). Printing on regular, letter sized paper is OK for some things, but CIS, SLS and EZL? No way - far too much detail.

I chose to use the thicker stock for durability. I'm already going through much effort to maintain/restore the car, and I hope to be doing it for many years to come. Cost for 234 pages: $68.

Still need to figure out how to bind it. See photos for the ridiculous size and thickness of the paper. Over-engineered service manual. It will be a foot thick when I'm done.

*DISCLAIMER* I have a background in computer graphics and therefore had a pretty good idea of what I was doing. Don't expect to simply walk into a print shop and expect good results unless you have a solid understanding of pixels-per-inch and digital printing basics.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
2012 CL550 4MATIC Coupe
9,992 Posts
Has anyone else tried printing it in large format? I couldn't find a post on the subject.
no. I bought the actual manuals as they are usually on eBay. The actual manuals have more sections in then than the disks.

But I know what you mean about having them in print. It makes it much easier to read them.

·
Registered
1983 380SEL
352 Posts
I prefer using the W126 Workshop Manual single DVD version offered on ebay UK by pumpkin874. These MBNA PDF manuals are large, unlike the MBNA 2 CD set where there are hundreds of smaller PDF files normally accesed through proprietary software. This DVD version also includes the M110 (280) engine manual and the complete 1981-1993 Maintenance Manual as single PDF files. The current ebay item number for this DVD version is 230839756172. (Other than purchasing this DVD from pumpkin874 I have no connection to that seller.)

This post has screen shots of this DVD's directories:

http://www.benzworld.org/forums/w126-s-se-sec-sel-sd/1659066-trouble-loading-mbenz-cd-manuals.html#post5306452

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks, that's some useful info. TalkieTime, do you know if the image quality on the DVD is superior to the CD-ROM set? I have managed to deal with the "hundreds of smaller PDF files" but the image quality is what I would call poor at best. Hence the blown up version on quality paper.

Getting an actual printed service manual would be great, I just have not had any luck in finding one yet.

·
Registered
1983 380SEL
352 Posts
Thanks, that's some useful info. TalkieTime, do you know if the image quality on the DVD is superior to the CD-ROM set? I have managed to deal with the "hundreds of smaller PDF files" but the image quality is what I would call poor at best. Hence the blown up version on quality paper.

Getting an actual printed service manual would be great, I just have not had any luck in finding one yet.
If you post a page (or pages) with image difficulties from the CD set I'll post the same page(s) from the DVD so that we may determine if there's any difference. (I'll be away for a good portion of the day so it might be tomorrow before I'll be able to respond.)

·
Premium Member
1983 380SL, 2000 S430, 1991 420SEL (retired) - RHD
5,509 Posts
Printing off disk manual

I found if I opened the page in Photoshop the images are clearer when printed.

·
Premium Member
2012 CL550 4MATIC Coupe
9,992 Posts
Same one I have

Another

Here is another set just like mine.

You DON'T need the software for the 2 disc set. I use them all the time. I made up my own master index, and if you PM me your email, I'll send it.

Also, you don't really need the ETM on paper, I scanned mine and have a really good copy of it and the one on the 2 disc set is really good too. But a paper one is nice there too.

The only one left that you REALLY need the paper version of is the climate manuals. There is ALOT in there that is not in the PDF version.

I too am a Computer Engineer and I took the 2 disc set and took the PDF's and converted them to iTunes format for iBooks and loaded them all into my iPad so I have take that out to the shop and not get my paper manuals dirty. I just cover my iPad in saran wrap to keep it clean.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
If you post a page (or pages) with image difficulties from the CD set I'll post the same page(s) from the DVD so that we may determine if there's any difference.
Attached is page 2 from the SLS overview, as provided on Disc 2 of the CD-ROM set. I'm interested to see if the fine details in these diagrams are any clearer on the DVD-ROM.

Attachments

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #9

·
Registered
1983 380SEL
352 Posts
Attached is page 2 from the SLS overview, as provided on Disc 2 of the CD-ROM set. I'm interested to see if the fine details in these diagrams are any clearer on the DVD-ROM.
The attached image was printed from the DVD Chassis and Body Manual PDF file and then scanned at 200 DPI as a jpg file of 320Kb. During the posting process the jpg file was compressed to just 53Kb so this won't be a good comparison. The printed page seems clear enough so that the small illustration numbers below the tires are easily read.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
2012 CL550 4MATIC Coupe
9,992 Posts
Thanks Mclare, I'm sure someone here will buy those. Unfortunately, none of the sellers will ship to Canada.
Have them ship it to me, and I will reship them to you if you like. I ship items all over the world.

If you want.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
The attached image was printed from the DVD Chassis and Body Manual PDF file and then scanned at 200 DPI as a jpg file of 320Kb. During the posting process the jpg file was compressed to just 53Kb so this won't be a good comparison. The printed page seems clear enough so that the small illustration numbers below the tires are easily read.
Thanks TalkieTime. That is obviously not suitable for comparison, but at least it looks to me like it's not the same scan. The orientation is more straight, and the artifacts around the page edge are missing. I would bet the DVD-ROM scan quality is superior. On the CD-ROM, everything looks almost like it's been through a fax machine.

Regardless, I am very happy with my printouts, which have been a pleasure to read while relaxing on the deck. The amount of detail in the SLS Overview is incredible - it details the inner workings of every component. On the laptop I would be constantly zooming in and out trying to see everything. The huge margins are great for note-taking and handling of the pages. The paper is thick enough that I don't need to be even slightly careful with it.

·
Registered
1987 SEC 560 43,000 miles. Origionally sold in Hong Kong.
141 Posts
Has anyone ever seen a reprint of the origonal manual? It is surprising that many seem to want one (including me) and just about every other old car manual has been reprinted but not this one.

Why is that?

1 - 13 of 13 Posts