Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

21 - 40 of 73 Posts

·
Registered
1962 Unimog 404
265 Posts
Noting to do with Unimogs but...

Yeah I get kind of sick of hearing about everyone's love for their I-phone as they drop the call. It does seem to be a pretty good tool, only if they weren't such tools at ATT. I have had Verizon for many years and it is unfortunate that they don't have much interest in keeping up or ahead of the Jones by offering cooler hardware but on the other hand I have been in the middle of the desert and able to make a call while 10 people around me with all the other carriers were out of luck. Not to mention that a friend with a fully outfitted "I" pays $140 a month for the bragging rights. Then add to that having to BUY most of those touted "apps".

I just don't think I can ever do the I thing.
That has nothing to do with the Iphone it is crappy AT&T

·
Registered
2,395 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
I have every version of the iphone minus the 3gS. I have ued every version of the software. I have had no less than 5 3G phones due to breaking them etc. All but one was totally my fault. All were covered under apples factory warranty. I had dropped calls with my first iphone including crappy reception. With the 3G, I have had very few if any reception issues. And the newer build of the 3G and of course the 3GS, dropped calls are not a factor. My Iphone had reception in the middle of poison spider mesa/Gold bar rim in moab. Enough to send text pictures.

All that being said, I have no interest in another phone. Even the droid which my brother has. It looks and feels like a cheap piece of crap and seemingly has no advantage over the iphone or even black berry etc.
KC, well that is great that you appear to be the only one that I have heard of that has good service from Att. That doesn't really make any sense that everyone else complains about it but, ok. Maybe you happen to be in good coverage areas but the Moab thing would seem to disprove that.

However, 5 3G phones!? That doesn't seem reasonable even if they did pay for them. So what was your fault in destroying the previous 4 phones? Dropping is going to happen so that shouldn't break a cell phone.

·
Registered
2,395 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
Too bad the Droid seems built poorly. I was going to check one out today. Guess I will still look at it. My Dare is built very well.

·
Registered
2,395 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
That has nothing to do with the Iphone it is crappy AT&T
Apparently the original I-phones actually had a hardware issue that caused them to drop calls. I think they have fixed it in the 3G phone.

Speaking of 3G, what makes Att's 3G better than others as they advertise on TV?

I'll have to look at the Blackberrys too.

·
Registered
85' U1300L Holset Turbo VA A/C, 66' Propane 404.1 rock mog, 1975 416 Doka, G500, Volvo C303
5,094 Posts
Almost my entire family has Iphones and ATT service. Not a single complaint from any of us. My brother from dallas is sitting next to me, and I just asked him if he had service issues. He said no, not at all. But he was aware of former cust service issues.

As for broken phones, I cracked the screen a few times cause I was stupid. Once i dropped it flat on its face on asphalt. Otherwise they are durable. Get an OTTER box for it and you will never have a problem.

The original Iphone did have some funky issues that i guess I learned to live with.

Im curious though, what do all the ATT haters have against them. I only ask because I really dont know. Im fairly new to ATT and had southwestern bell and T-mobile before. SWB sucked, T-mobile was fine untill the end. And ATT has been flawless. And definatly the cheapest service I have ever had.

·
Registered
2,395 Posts
Discussion Starter #26 (Edited)
KC,

I'm just trying to get the facts straight and am researching for a new phone.

I know several people who love their I-phones and have "no connection problems at all" but at least 1 in 3 times I talk to them they drop my call. I think they have just never experience Verizon. I have never dropped a call. At least not in the last 5 years.

I just read a huge article on the Droid and Verizon. Actually it was a short article and a ton of replies stating that the article from PC World was full of misinformation. There was a lot of talk about extra charges from Verizon but in the end it seems that Att and Verizon charge about the same amount for similar services. T mobile might be cheaper but I don't know anything about them. I have never known a Sprint customer including those who worked for the company that didn't hate them, so I don't even want to go there.

Something I learned was the tethering is not always available. I thought it would be by now. They say it will work with the I-phone but isn't technically offered in this country. It's supported by Verizon for an extra $15/mo.

Verizon doesn't seem to support the newest Blackberry Curve 8900. Plus Curves have pretty small screens and have 3.2mp cameras. The Droid and the new, not released Is have 5 mp cameras.

I don't know. I think there really isn't anything out there offering enough improvement for me to jump into anything new at this point.

·
Registered
1987 416 Doka
659 Posts
I've used ATT for the last 5 years for my business. We buy the "family plan" and love the rollover minutes. Of all the carriers, no one has the rollover and price that ATT has. That said, I can't use my phone at my house, even with some bars.

I would switch to Verizon just because they SEEM to have better actual coverage and better call quality too, but it comes down to the rollover minutes - I like to get what I pay for, even if I don't use it unill next month!

I don't use I phones or smart phones. I don't text either. Ya, I just want a good PHONE. I had RAZR's for years, but they aren't too great. I am now using a LG Xenon. It is pretty slick and has a slider keyboard for you texters, but it helps me to enter notes quick. It also has a voice command feature which I love. I am able to speak a phone number and I will type it on the screen and dial it. That is NIIIICCCCE! I also have and HTC (ATT Tilt) which is a slider too. That one is cool because you can re-flash the phone with cooked ROM's. Imagine the OS on your laptop (Vista right?), that people have hacked and removed crap that you don't need/use/or want! Cooked ROM's are awesome, but the phone is big and heavy.

Anyway, contract ends very soon, so I will be comparing again in January.:D

·
Registered
85' U1300L Holset Turbo VA A/C, 66' Propane 404.1 rock mog, 1975 416 Doka, G500, Volvo C303
5,094 Posts
Gotta say, I had the first MOT razor's up to the 2nd or 3rd generation. They were all crap. I broke more of those damn things than I care to admit. Half of them came from T-mobile broken when I got it. Had one for all of three days before I had to return it. The best MOT phone to date in my mind was the original Startac. I loved my star.

·
Registered
'78 Mog 416.141 DoKa
3,420 Posts
Im curious though, what do all the ATT haters have against them.
I'm sure it's obvious that I'm firmly in the ATT hater camp ! Here's my story - YMMV.

I've had dealings with various ATT groups for 30 years, residential & business services, land-line & cellular. EVERY TIME, I've had major issues with crappy customer service. The last straw was when I canceled a number of business service lines because I was moving my office. I politely jumped through ALL of the obstructionist hoops thrown in my way and got things squared away, I thought. They even had my new address in case things were NOT squared away. Never heard from them again. Then, almost a YEAR later, I get a call from the typical collection agency asshat, wanting to know why I'm such a deadbeat and when I'm going to pay my ATT bill. My personality does not allow me to roll over on this kind of thing when I'm 101% in the right, so things just went down hill from there.

Bottom line is ATT brought me major aggravation. They have a documented history of this kind of behavior, division to division, so it's a dysfunctional corporate culture kind of thing. I'm 100% free of them right now but I always seem to get pulled back against my will - first it was with my Cingular cell service being bought by them a number of years ago, now it's rumors of a DirecTV purchase. If ATT buys DirecTV, I will cancel my long standing account in a heartbeat - same goes with any other business.

ATT......you SUCK

Attachments

·
Registered
2,395 Posts
Discussion Starter #30
That is one thing I can say is that customer service from Verizon has always been friendly, available and helpful. I have never had an inaccurate charge either. It's about $85 a month with more than enough talk time and texts and no roaming anywhere in the US. For an extra $15 I can get internet.

I know a couple of people who have Cricket and pay about $60 for full service but I don't know anything about their quality on devices or service.

·
Registered
'78 Mog 416.141 DoKa
3,420 Posts
If you like Verizons coverage, you should check out PagePlus Cellular.

https://www.pagepluscellular.com/

They are a Verizion MVNO (Mobile Virtual Network Operator - meaning the use the Verizon network under their own name). I have several phones with them, including one with a 1200 min/1200 text/50MB data plan for only $29.95/mo ! You can use any unlocked CDMA phone or any Verizion branded phone (including the ones you can pick up for almost nothing intended for Verizon pre-pay).

If you're not a big Internet user, you get the advantage of VZW's better 3G network, NO contracts and decent support for 50% or less of the cost of actually having VZW.

Cricket - one of my kids has Cricket service. It's cheap, BUT - they run their own (very limited) network so the coverage outside urban areas is non-existent. I don't think they can roam on anybodies system because of the technology they use.

·
Registered
2,395 Posts
Discussion Starter #32
Page Plus sounds like a winner for no frills it's just a phone usage which is actually what I do now, but I'm thinking functional internet next go around.

I looked at the Droid in person today. I think the keyboard would be hard to use in the real world but you might get used to it. It seemed pretty well constructed to me?? But I'm still not sold. Then I looked at the Blackberry Storm which seemed like a pretty good device and only costs $50 after rebate and 2 years. It does it all pretty much. Has big and removable memory 8 gig, I think, plus 1 gig embedded. It can be tethered for an extra $15/mo had a 3.2mp camera with flash, the touchscreen worked pretty well had good resolution and tap to enlarge text. On the down side while it is only a little bit bigger than my Dare it weighs at least twice as much which is going to get annoying loading down your pocket. But that may be the case with all PDAs. It is Sim compatible too so it works in other countries. The biggest turnoff was when I had him pull up it's map/gps functions. Verizon/Google/Blackberry. Compared with demonstrations I have seen with friends I-phones it was not in the same league. I was in a restaurant with a friend and he touched the screen and with in seconds the phone had located us and given the name of the restaurant and a couple more clicks and we had all the other Thai restaurants in the city with ratings addresses websites etc. Damn thing just seems to work.

God I'm really trying to not like the fragile I-phone and would also really like to be able to drive across county and be able to make a call pretty much anywhere, like I can now, which I'm pretty sure I won't be able to do with Att. I guess I need to go on a trip with an I-phoner and compare signals back to back to really know.

So a little closer but not really....

·
Registered
1962 404, (sold now, saving for the next)
126 Posts
I've been lurking here since I sold my mog but I can at least contribute to this thread:

I've been using my iPhone for about 1yr now and I have come to rely on it. As for it's fragility, I've dropped it many times, and carry it everywhere during work and play and never had major damage, or any functional damage.
I'm less of a phone user and much more into email and texts. For that type of user the phone is great. I get access to all my email accts, even for my work now (although many companies do not support iPhone access.)

I also use the internet access alot, much more than I had expected. I'll find myself at home using the iPhone instead of going to the computer. I actually often use the iPhone for internet based email even while sitting at the comp because I don't need to go to yahoo and google and work websites, all three email accts are on one screen on the iPhone.

The internet experience is good, it lacks Flash support so some pages will not display fully, but most Flash I see is not important to the page usage. The screen size is small for heavy browsing, but when you're out and about it is really nice to have access to information.

I have a jailbroken iPhone, meaning I am able to customize it much more fully than Apple intended. After using a VZW phone for nearly 10 yrs I can appreciate the ability to make the phone reflect my usage habits, which VZW phones do not allow to the same degree. There are also many useful non-appstore apps that I can now install. For instance my Iphone is now able to be tethered to my laptop and provide internet access when traveling. That was actually the primary reason I jailbroke it. Also now I have a video recorder and a modified screen layout. I can still use all features that came on it and the iTunes appstore also.

If you add in the iPod functions it really is a useful little device. Battery life is poor though (36hrs with moderate use) and it is expensive ($169/month for two iPhones, sharing a calling plan and separate data charges), and there are places that ATT coverage is weak but going to a different phone now is hard to imagine. Maybe the Droid or another Android model will be next for me if I decide to ditch ATT.

·
Registered
1962 404, (sold now, saving for the next)
126 Posts
Yeah I like the HD2, larger than my iPhone, thin, and mercifully not an Apple product.
Many reviews and users complain about Windows Mobile, though it is well hidden on this device by a better interface. I'd hope that MS has seen the way of the world and is readying a new version. They need to get a better mobile OS or just get out of that market. If a better OS is on such a nice piece of hardware I might be tempted.

·
Registered
'78 Mog 416.141 DoKa
3,420 Posts
After using a VZW phone for nearly 10 yrs I can appreciate the ability to make the phone reflect my usage habits, which VZW phones do not allow to the same degree.
That's the REAL downside of VZW (regardless of the $hit throwing storm on TV between them and ATT). VZW software loads SUCK 101% ! If you're buying ANY new phone, be SURE it runs either WinMo or Android (or some form of Linux). Don't get sucked into closed opsys phones (Apple, I'm looking in YOUR general direction...) - for sure if you use VZW !!

·
Registered
U140 , U900 , 419 SEE
1,088 Posts
I don't use the cell phone anymore. I have one I keep for work, but don't receive calls on it, and is only for emergency. I have a land line with an answering machine. I hate being bothered and distracted all the time by the pesky cell phone device, always checking it to see who called, gettign calls while busy doing things, etc.. and I can't see myself ever really wanting to go back to one.

anyway,

cell phone..

No.

Home phone..

Yes.

ACUF

·
Registered
'78 Mog 416.141 DoKa
3,420 Posts
Wait....

You have a business that requires you to be in the field a lot and you DON'T use a cellphone ??!?!? You are one of the people the technology was DESIGNED for before it was hijacked by big media to line their pockets.

If you get a call while you're busy, don't answer it. There's another tech feature called voice-mail for that situation. I hate the notion that one MUST answer their phone ANY PLACE and ANY TIME - that's part of the sign of the decline of modern civilization !

Sorry (sort of) for the rant but I've been in the wireless communications biz since before the man in the street knew what a cellphone was. I'm a little ashamed at what the technology has done to the world.

21 - 40 of 73 Posts