Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
SLK 230 Kompressor 1998
366 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I have ordered that aftermarket slk32 AMG front bumper after the accident that broke my front bumper. Cost was 200$, shipping to Canada was around 200$ lol, it took them about a month to ship it though and I was calling them every couple of days... not the best service out there but I got it finally.

Upon inspection, it is a bit thinner than I expected, I guess this is how it is for fiberglass bumpers. I am going for this only for the looks. Lower central metal mesh was included.

It has been painted now and I will go to mechanic to install it possibly next week, will take some pictures in the process.

Areas of concern:
1. Bumper is thin and I might have to reinforce the seating areas to make them thicker and avoid gaps.
2. The interface of mesh with bumper is not that good in my opinion, I will reinforce that too (it is detachable)
3. Side grills are not included, I will have to make my own or simply order them from somewhere.
4. I wonder if I could at least temporarily install my old 98 fog lights on that new bumper I do plan to cover them with the side mesh grills.
5. Support for bumper could be an issue, The aftermarket bumper has no interface to have the support stereofoam seated on it, I will have to figure out a way to have this taken care of.

Picture is original bumper and second one is me goofing with photoshop trying to see how it will look like in a one color car with some changes to headlight :p

Let's hope this wasn't a waste of money lol

Attachments

·
Registered
248 Posts
I like the looks of the bumper, however, I think someone else got one and said the quality and fit was pretty poor. They said that you really need a good body shop to install and fix the fitment(?) issues.

Good luck. Post pics when finished.

·
Registered
PROUD OWNER! 2002 slk32 AMG
1,505 Posts
you do realize thats not a true amg bumper right? shabby aftermarket product. theres a true amg bumper on ebay if you want the real look

·
Registered
SLK 230 Kompressor 1998
366 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
you do realize thats not a true amg bumper right? shabby aftermarket product. theres a true amg bumper on ebay if you want the real look
Yes I do realize that the original slk32 bumper is out there and it is alone without the rails, grills, window washers, or any other ridiculously expensive accessories for $600 plus shipping. Having everything original could come up to a sum of $1100+

Yeah probably this bumper is similar in shabbiness to the slk32 front lip, but I am going for it only for cosmetic purposes, I am attracted to things nobody has for the slk230, I might be taking a shortcut, but if it works "pourquoi pas?"

A bumper is a bumper, I won't use it to hang a bicycle on the front, just to be attached to the rest of the car, for looks, aerodynamics, and protect the internals of car.

Thanks Indy Joe, with some luck I could have it installed on my car in a week or so.

·
Registered
PROUD OWNER! 2002 slk32 AMG
1,505 Posts
my reference to the "shabbyness" of the bumper is in relation to the ability of the bumper to handle the stresses associated with the amount of downforce it is subjected to. cracking would be my first concern. do you ever drive your car over 100 mph? the forces applied to the front bumper have been enough to blow my access doors in the front fenderwells out! it is more than just a cosmetic piece. hate to see you waste your money and time only to have to replace it with something else.. good luck

·
Registered
1998 SLK 230 K
70 Posts
I do agree with the previous post, a bumper is not just cosmetic, it must take the aerodinamics in accounut, the short time I have with my baby, I love to blast over 200 KM/H and it would be really unpleasant to have the fornt bumber come off at that speed, I have the LEVEN body kit beeing mounted, but I trust that it is "up to spec", if not, it is out even faster than installed.

·
Registered
SLK..lower than yours
1,567 Posts
I like the looks of the bumper, however, I think someone else got one and said the quality and fit was pretty poor. They said that you really need a good body shop to install and fix the fitment(?) issues.

Good luck. Post pics when finished.
that someone would be me.... I happen to damage my stock front bumper beyond being able to repair it...and decided to give this thing a try... there was just no way it would fit.. the gaps were way to big, the bumper was just way off .... my body shop does all kinds of custom jobs, including widebody projects and such... and they coudnt get it to fit. to make it all worse, I never got the bastards to pay back for the shitty bumper or anything. if you have the money and the time... do it once, do it right, get the Leven Tuning bumper.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts