Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
03 E500
120 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just bought a great C230, 77k, MB hands-free phone and CD changer, runs great, no starting problems, everything seems perfect, but the check engine light came on yesterday and stayed on. How can I read the fault code(s) and reset the light without visiting the dealer? Thanks for your help!

Tom

·
Registered
2004 Lexus LS 430 Modern Luxury. 2012 Acura TSX (fun fun) Maybe MB again one day...
2,604 Posts
AutoZone will pull the OBDII codes for free. They also sell a scantool for 84 bucks (and up) that you can use. Takes about 10 seconds to figure out how to use one.

Then come back online and find (using the search feature) out what the codes are for.

Easy.

Good luck.

Ain't the internet cool?

·
Registered
03 E500
120 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks, LuvmyC280, I have some scan tool Qs...

Hey!

I wasn't aware that I could buy a scan tool so cheap for Benz, can I get one reader that can handle C-class, E-class, S-class, and SL class? I buy and sell these cars for a living, but rarely come across any that ever have the CEL on. What brand of scan tool did you buy, and what problems have you had with it, if any?

Thanks, Tom

PS: Maybe something's wrong with me, but Wed. at the auto auction I picked up a 2000 Cadillac Eldorado Sport Coupe w/ 300 HP northstar motor, and I was shocked to say I really like it a lot! American cars have come a long way...I never thought I would ever like a Cad...should I have my head examined?? It's for resale anyway, but I like driving it, I even parked my SL at the BACK of my garage...

·
Registered
2004 Lexus LS 430 Modern Luxury. 2012 Acura TSX (fun fun) Maybe MB again one day...
2,604 Posts
American cars are catching up, but I still would pick a German or Japanese car first. But that is just me. Those Cadillacs do look nice though don't they? Haven't driven one yet though.

The scan tool is a universal one for the OBDII connection under the steering wheels of all cars made after 1996 (1994 for MB). There are scan tools for MBs that hook into their computers that I am sure are much more expensive. But the basic OBDII scan tool can be bought for cheap at AZ. I can't remember who made it, but it does the job, ie: gives basic fault codes. O2 sensor etc etc.

Sent you a pm.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts