Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys,

I'm looking to purchase a 2006 or 2007 ML350. i have been hearing terrible reviews about the ML. i just sold my CLS550 and I'm looking to down grade and living in NYC i need 4 wheel drive. Is the ML reliable? i have notice that a lot of people in this site comp[lain about transmission and electrical problem. please tell me if i should buy a ML350. Tell me about your experience with the ML and if you recommend it? thank you

·
It was fun while it lasted
2002 ML320, 2005 S430 4MATIC RIP, 2010 F150 Crew Cab
11,148 Posts
This advice has been covered ad nauseum. But I don't mind repeating it if it prevents one more from making a mistake. DO NOT BUY A 2006 MODEL ML Period!. Stay away from any 2007's that were early manufactures (early Feb or Mar. 2007 manufacture dates probably okay). If it were me, I'd go for a 2008.

You are going to receive some posts that tell you 'I've had no problem with my 2006, etc.'. But, buying a 2006 is gambling with your pocket book. If you're comfortable risking your dough, then that's your decision.

Now, the ONLY way I'd entertain a 2006 is if the owner could prove that the following things were done:

Transmission valve body and control module- $2200- 2800 repair
Balance Shaft Replacement- $5,500 - $6,000 repair

Thing to look for: Rough vibration and/or roaring sound coming from either front or rear differentials.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Got 2006, ML500. DO NOT BUY IT!!!!! period. Its a very nice looking car, very fast very comfy, BUT its just sucking money out of me with repairs. Yesterday towed it to dealer, it just went dead on me while driving on a road. Looks like crank shaft positioning sensor. But its been 1 thing after another. Engine gaskets and seals changed, antifreeze hosing changed, shift module changed, alignment 2 times in one year and I don't drive off road. THank god i got aftermarket warranty, paid 2600 for it. But all repairs Totaled more then $5,000 or more

·
Registered
25 Posts
just got off the phone from MB dealer, it seems like my fuel pump went dead and there are some seals and ect that need to be changed and my total $1,650.00 and my warranty that suppose to cover everything only covering $600 + 200 deduct, = 400.00 and i pay $1200.00. If you still want to buy ML 500 ill be glad to sell mine right now.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
damm. Sorry to hear about that. I know how it feels to have a car that just gives you problems. I'm definetely staying away from any ML's. I guess I will just go with an X5 or the infinity FX. I was at major world dealer and I saw about 12 ML's and I found it strange that they would sell a 2006 for 20k. I say it depends how you care for your car bcus I know a lot of people who complained about their CLS giving them transmission problems and electrical and I never had any serious problems with my. Got rid of my cls bcus my lease was up

·
Registered
'09 ML550, '12 BMW 650i Cab (lucky wife)
757 Posts
damm. Sorry to hear about that. I know how it feels to have a car that just gives you problems. I'm definetely staying away from any ML's. I guess I will just go with an X5 or the infinity FX. I was at major world dealer and I saw about 12 ML's and I found it strange that they would sell a 2006 for 20k. I say it depends how you care for your car bcus I know a lot of people who complained about their CLS giving them transmission problems and electrical and I never had any serious problems with my. Got rid of my cls bcus my lease was up
Don't stay away from ANY ML, just from 2006 and early 2007 models.

Also, check on a couple of X5 boards before you take the plunge there, as there were a number of problems right after the last model changeover.

·
Registered
GL450, R500 traded, ML350 sold
437 Posts
I think you answered your own question here when talking about your own experience with your CLS. There are some MLs that had problems in the 06 and 07 model years, but NOT all cars that were sold these years. The vast majority of the problems were fixed by dealers through warranty. However, there seems to be one major problem reported by owners that Mercedes has NOT picked up the tab for and that's the balance shaft issue. This is what makes a lot of people skeptical about 06 and 07s. Other model years are not affected by this or any other problems. I own a 08 ML350 and have had zero problems. On the other hand, one need to consider the statistical value here. If the balance shaft issue was affecting each and every car produced in these two years Mercedes would have done something about it, or else face as many law suits as cars sold. Instead it seems that a small percentage of these vehicles had this problem (there are a handful of people here and at the other forum reporting it), so unfortunately for these poor owners Mercedes decided to do nothing about it, and face the one law suit that is in the works right now.

Bottom line, do what your little heart desires, and remember that for each ML with problems reported here, there are 100 healthy ones out there. It's just that their owners are not car freaks like most of us here that run and report about their cars! If you are able to pickup a 06 for a low price (low 20s as you state) you are ahead of the game even if you have to potentially spend $4000 for the balance shaft.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Yes defiantly X5 is not that good. I talked to some people that are mechanics and some that buy them from auctions and they told me that when they reach 100,000 mile mark they get many electrical problems, and from my experience i was thinking about buying it but i hated how the steering wheel turns, it got this sport feel, really hard to turn and the front panel look isn't good, and the seats are not that comfy.

·
Registered
ML350 2007
78 Posts
I have an ML350 2007 delivered in Aug. 2006. Should I expect problems with balance shaft and transmission? So far I have 60000 mi. and no issues yet. When do the problems start? Thanks

·
Registered
2001 ml320 and 2006 ml350 (sold)
711 Posts
Review attached to determine if your engine is in range...If in range then it is possible, someone had balance shaft problem not show up until 91k miles...and of course the valve body in tranny's are crap.

I also am at 91k miles...and figure it will come on any time now...

Attachments

·
It was fun while it lasted
2002 ML320, 2005 S430 4MATIC RIP, 2010 F150 Crew Cab
11,148 Posts
I have an ML350 2007 delivered in Aug. 2006. Should I expect problems with balance shaft and transmission? So far I have 60000 mi. and no issues yet. When do the problems start? Thanks
Yours would fall into the VIN range for the balance shaft problem.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts