Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello Friends,
This is my first posting on this site and would appreciate your input. I am considering buying a 1998 SLK. The car has less than 22000 miles on it and the body appears to be in great condition. What should I be looking for in the car as possible problem areas? The owner will be selling the car within a few weeks, and is thinking about asking around $15000. This seems high to me. What do you think? Many THANKS for your replies. Oh yes - what is R170? :bowdown:

·
Registered
Golf R32 / Prev R170 SLK
6,821 Posts
Very cheap for an Oz car. I would buy it sight unseen for that money.

Good luck

Bazzle

PS: I assume you are in the USA.. isnt that the only place in the world:confused::D:D

In that case I wouldnt have a clue re prices but the miles are low.
Be aware if you dont do any of your own work maint costs will be high. That said most problems are samall and people here will help you out.

·
Registered
98 red 230 slk
454 Posts
MY 98 is great with 106k. But you must be prepared to do a lot of minor things for yourself or it (the dealer) will eat you alive longterm.

·
Registered
02 - 32 (Stock); 99 SLK230 (RIP); 81 CJ7 (Fully MOD)
399 Posts
According to KBB, it's high. Expected price for this car that age is about 13K or so. Then again, it is depending on the buyer & his/her liking & willingness to pay :D When I got mine, I didn't even looked at the pricing too much :( Didn't even know about the 32 :( It's like love at first sight :eek::rolleyes::D

Maybe driving it will give you more input about the car :thumbsup:

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Hello Bazzle, Cacecef, and DW - Thank you for your replies. I don't expect this car to be as low maintenance as my Toyoya Corolla, but what should I expect it need besides regular oil/filter changes? Does it require valve adjustments?

·
Registered
2002 SLK32
1,080 Posts
Depends on your budget. If you can afford an SLK32, I would get one of those, if not then and SLK320. I would expect you could get an SLK320 for around 15K or so.

R170 is the chassis number for the 1998 to 2004 SLK.

·
Registered
Golf R32 / Prev R170 SLK
6,821 Posts
1 - 8 of 8 Posts