Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently purchased a beautiful 1992 300E. The only thing that I am not super happy about is the bad Becker head unit. It works but the volume will not go up, only down. I talked to my Mercedes mechanic about it and he suggested I just get a new head unit,+- $125. I first figured that for that kind of money why not just replace the head with a new Pioneer, Alpine or similar. Maybe get one that my iPod could plug into. That was before I read the forum posts. It seems that replacing the original head with any other than an old Becker will be a pain in the butt, requiring me to change out the amps, wiring and speakers. This is more than I want to get into.. Replacing speakers seems easy but the re-wiring seems complex and prone to problems.

Is there any new head unit that I can buy that simply plugs into the old slot and wiring. Furthermore, can I get one that has a CD player and aux. audio input? Or, am I destine to live with an old Becker or rewire the car.

Help

·
Premium Member
ML430
2,662 Posts
archibrat - 5/10/2005 9:28 PM
I just get a new head unit,+- $125. I first figured that for that kind of money why not just replace the head with a new Pioneer, Alpine or similar. Maybe get one that my iPod could plug into. That was before I read the forum posts. It seems that replacing the original head with any other than an old Becker will be a pain in the butt, requiring me to change out the amps, wiring and speakers. This is more than I want to get into.. Replacing speakers seems easy but the re-wiring seems complex and prone to problems.

Is there any new head unit that I can buy that simply plugs into the old slot and wiring. Furthermore, can I get one that has a CD player and aux. audio input? Or, am I destine to live with an old Becker or rewire the car.

Help

That does not sound right. You should be able to swap out the units. All the AMP is looking for is a signal. It does not matter. Why would you need to swap out the speakers? I mean down the road if you want a high end sound system yea, but not at first. and to get a Alpine or Pioneer that is half decent you need at least 200+$. And to add your ipod to you add another 99$ (for the Alpine ipod hookup) Dont know about the Pioneer.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts