Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 20 of 66 Posts

·
Registered
7,295 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
We own 5 cars. There are 4 drivers in the house, so at least 1 vehicle is potentially surplus. The dilemma is: which one?

2003 Honda Accord - a nice car in good condition; the perfect car for my 18-year old daughter. Used year round.

1997 Yukon 4x4 - a piece of junk, but the only heavy hauler in the fleet and my winter ride.

2008 BMW 328 convertible - the latest addition and the pride and joy of my wife who doesn't care about cars. Used year round.

2004 Nissan 350Z Roadster - an excellent car in mint condition; the most fun you can have with your pants on. Summer only.

1986 560SL - my hobby car and competition to the Nissan for my sunny-day affections. No one else in the house cares to drive it because of its finicky top and vintage feel. Summer only.

We have a 2-car garage and lots of driveway space. The BMW and the Nissan are the prime candidates for covered storage, being the most valuable machines. The Honda and the Yukon are okay outside but I know from sad experience that the SL will decline and die if left in the weather. We have room to build another garage but not necessarily the money.

The issue will come to a head in the next few weeks when I retrieve the Nissan from its off-site storage.

The obvious choice for disposal is the SL, but I don't like that idea.

What to do?

·
Premium Member
3,185 Posts
Make her move out

We own 5 cars. There are 4 drivers in the house, so at least 1 vehicle is potentially surplus. The dilemma is: which one?

We have a 2-car garage and lots of driveway space. The BMW and the Nissan are the prime candidates for covered storage, being the most valuable machines. The Honda and the Yukon are okay outside but I know from sad experience that the SL will decline and die if left in the weather. We have room to build another garage but not necessarily the money.

The issue will come to a head in the next few weeks when I retrieve the Nissan from its off-site storage.

The obvious choice for disposal is the SL, but I don't like that idea.

What to do?
Make more room by making your daughter move out. Then the money you save can be used for a new garage for the 107. That probably won't work. So, find a rental garage for the 107 and just make sure it gets some exercise. When the BMW or Nissan quit running, then you can bring the 107 home. Plan B, depending on the lay of your property is to get a 10 X 20 pop=up tent with side curtains and keep the SL in it. An EZ-Up with curtains ought to be under a thousand bucks.

·
Registered
7,295 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
So, find a rental garage for the 107 and just make sure it gets some exercise. ....
Plan B, depending on the lay of your property is to get a 10 X 20 pop=up tent with side curtains and keep the SL in it.
Thanks, Rick.
I don't think off-site storage is the answer. For me, out of sight, out of mind = neglect.
A tent is a possibility. It could go on a concrete basketball court the kids no longer use. The key is to get something the better half won't deem to be unacceptably ugly.

·
Forum Administrator , RC Colas® & Moon Pies®
39,177 Posts
Shipping containers make great storage and they are exempt from many housing codes as they are considered temp storage.

·
Registered
7,295 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Shipping containers make great storage and they are exempt from many housing codes as they are considered temp storage.
That's another idea. I dunno if I could decorate/disguise it to suit the resident arbiter of good taste.
How much do used ones cost Dig? I did a quick internet search but all seem to say"call for pricing". A 20 ft long one would work.

·
Premium Member
3,185 Posts
Thanks, Rick.
I don't think off-site storage is the answer. For me, out of sight, out of mind = neglect.
A tent is a possibility. It could go on a concrete basketball court the kids no longer use. The key is to get something the better half won't deem to be unacceptably ugly.
An EZ up in white or tan with the side curtains with windows would make it look like you are always having a party. They make special sand bags to fit around the base of the uprights. We used these for the NASCAR show cars and they take a beating and look nice.

·
It Is What It Is, Dude
22,839 Posts
smack said:
An EZ up in white or tan with the side curtains with windows....
From experience, should this be the route you go, be certain the side curtains are NEVER allowed to touch the car when moved by the wind. I stored my 280SE this way for a summer, not realizing the side could rub. Luckily, it was not a base coat clear coat paint job and I was able to save it with a cut and buff....

·
39,177 Posts
Be careful with those 'Garage in a Box' things available at the warehouse stores. My son in law bought one and it was a rust generator due to the trapped humidity inside of it.

My 20 footers were $2K due to a spike in steel when I was ready to buy it ...what..3 years ago, maybe? That was a $500 price increase over a 6 to 8 month period back then. Not sure what it is now. Oddly, a full size 40 footer was only a few hundred more. If I could have managed the jog past the corner of my house, there'd be two of them instead of the 20s. They should be readily available given your proximity to Detroit and Lakes Huron and Erie.

If SWMBO would have OK'd it, I would have just painted them with Rustoleum. Instead, I got 4 by 8 sheets of Thomas hardy permanent siding and attached them with a screw gun and galvanized self tapping screws. I trimmed them with regular trim pieces from the siding department and painted the doors (facing the neighbor's yard) white.

They don't need a foundation. Just go to a Mason/brick yard and get some concrete corner pads for less than $50 total. Get some flat ones for leveling if you're off a bit when the guy offloads it from the rollback truck he delivers it on. It is a precision drop. Very little adjusting.

Still no bugs, dirt, must or anything. I love them.

You can see the 107 sitting next to them. It'd be a bit of a squeeze to get out of the door but it's doable. Doubtful if you could get the Z car in ahead of it though. You probably have other stuff to store that you can put ahead of the car.

Attachments

·
Registered
7,295 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Be careful with those 'Garage in a Box' things available at the warehouse stores. My son in law bought one and it was a rust generator due to the trapped humidity inside of it.
I didn't think of that. But that will prevail in any poorly ventilated shelter, including your containers, no?
I've got a 25'x25' concrete pad, once a basketball court, now used for overflow parking. It would easily fit a couple of containers but I fear the aesthetics will not please u-no-who.

·
Registered
100 Posts
I agree with Dig that these boxes are rust generators due to poor air circulation that will lead to moisture formation. I would also think that it will bake what ever is inside overtime during hot summer months. A means of air supply and exhaust must be considered to allow proper air exchange.

·
Registered
7,295 Posts
Discussion Starter #14 (Edited)
I agree with Dig that these boxes are rust generators due to poor air circulation that will lead to moisture formation. I would also think that it will bake what ever is inside overtime during hot summer months. A means of air supply and exhaust must be considered to allow proper air exchange.
I am not so worried about baking as the location is tree-shaded. I would leave the tent ends open in summer and just button things up for winter.
Does anyone here actually own one of these contraptions?

These guys seem to sell the sturdiest units.

Cover-Tech Inc. - Portable Garage, Instant Portable Garage, Portable Carports

·
Registered
6,234 Posts
Dugald, with two teens why would you even consider getting rid of the spare?:confused: Between the two I have driving the thought of one of them being down for a day and having to listen to them whine makes me nuts.:eek::crybaby2::eek::crybaby2: Besides they all seem to have a usefulness or value to you. So until they don't or you find something else you want keep a spare. You never know when you'll need it.:thumbsup:

·
Always Remembered RIP
3,381 Posts
My friend does. Believe me take the time to set it up very carefully and you'll have it for years. That is if the people that live around you don't start calling the town about it. Every mistake you make is going to bite you sooner or later.

·
39,177 Posts
Everthing metal that my son in law had in his plastic garage rusted, some things quite badly. The containers have a vent at the top of one end. Surprisingly, I have never found them too hot inside when I open them. Maybe the light colored siding deflects some of that heat. I have had no rust issues at all including the flimsy lawnmower deck.

·
Registered
7,295 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Dugald, with two teens why would you even consider getting rid of the spare?:confused: Between the two I have driving the thought of one of them being down for a day and having to listen to them whine makes me nuts.:eek::crybaby2::eek::crybaby2: Besides they all seem to have a usefulness or value to you. So until they don't or you find something else you want keep a spare. You never know when you'll need it.:thumbsup:
Jody, that has been my thinking so far. But the nuisance of snow removal on a driveway littered with cars and the impending problem of needing covered storage for 3 cars have got me rethinking the situation.

·
Registered
7,295 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Everthing metal that my son in law had in his plastic garage rusted, some things quite badly. The containers have a vent at the top of one end. Surprisingly, I have never found them too hot inside when I open them. Maybe the light colored siding deflects some of that heat. I have had no rust issues at all including the flimsy lawnmower deck.
I asked the Cover-Tech guys (link above) about the humidity problem. They say their tent has mesh vents for that reason.

·
Premium Member
6,077 Posts
Does anyone here actually own one of these contraptions?
My dad has four of them in his business parking lot, but they don't have to stand up to winter snow and freezing, just desert sun and temperatures of 110F+. They work well for that.

1 - 20 of 66 Posts