Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2003 E55
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
According to MB, SL55's have the same front brake pads as the 2003 E55. The rears on all SL55 and E55 cars are also the same. As far as I know, no one makes a high performance pad for the E55. If anyone knows of a perfomance pad that will definitely fit the SL55, please let me know. In the meantime, if I send a set of worn out pads to Porterfield or Carbotech, they can reproduce them in a race or high performance street compund which will significantly improve the brake functions.

The front pad is part # 003 420 5320 or 003 420 7120 (same pads with different numbers depending on date of production) and the rear is 003 420 6220.

If anybody is about to bring their car in for brake service, ask for the used pads and either send them to me or email me and I will tell you who to send them to at Porterfield or Carbotech. Everyone on this forum and the W211 E55 forum will potentially benefit.

Please repond to this thread if you're interested in upgrading to a full race pad or performance street pad.

·
Registered
2004 SL55 AMG
14 Posts
I would not sugest that you switch the compound of the pads. If you bring the car in for service and a technician sees that the pads are not the original factory pads it will void all brake related warrantee, suspension related as well. Id sugest you stick to facory pads. They work just fine.

·
Registered
2003 E55
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Changing pads will not void factory warranty!

Most brake components are not covered by warranty as they routinely require replacement. Nor should race pads cause premature wear to any other brake component other than rotors.

Several companies make a superior pad for street use than stock MB pads. Unfortunately, the stopping distances of current MB's is not very good and excessive weight isn't the only thing to blame.

·
Registered
2004 SL55 AMG
14 Posts
Race pads will wear rotors differently. Also it dosent matter if mercedes does not warrentee pads. Its is any other component that is related to braking. Such as a caliper. If they choose they can stick you the bill for a new caliper if they see the race pads.

By the way you need to do some seriously hard braking to even make race pads preform better than OEM. The rotor needs to get RED hot to have the pads work well. So essentialy you are lengthening your stoping distance for everyday driving.

Also if you get a soft compound pad it will wear very fast, very impractical for city streets. Unless you race your car.

·
Registered
2004 SL55 AMG
14 Posts
Race pads will wear rotors differently. Also it dosent matter if mercedes does not warrentee pads. Its is any other component that is related to braking. Such as a caliper. If they choose they can stick you the bill for a new caliper if they see the race pads.

By the way you need to do some seriously hard braking to even make race pads preform better than OEM. The rotor needs to get RED hot to have the pads work well. So essentialy you are lengthening your stoping distance for everyday driving.

Also if you get a soft compound pad it will wear very fast, very impractical for city streets. Unless you race your car.

·
Registered
2003 E55
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I can attest to from personal experience that the stock pads do not handle heat well, and these cars generate a lot of heat. The stock pads are fairly soft, wear quickly and are not safe for full out track driving for more than 25-30 minutes at a time if ducting is added. Without brake duct, maybe 15-20 minutes.

These AMG cars are very heavy and hard braking after hitting 145 mph on the straights will cook the pads. After my first track event with the car, the smell of burning pad was overpowering. My second track event (after adding carbon fiber brake ducts) ended when my brakes began to fail. When I hit pit lane, the pads were on fire and were put out by the safety crew.

The calipers should be up to the task, but the pads, rotors, brake lines and fluid from the factory are not adequate for any sustained racing. Unfortunately, pads are the only things not available at this time.

·
Registered
2004 SL55 AMG
14 Posts
Well trust me on this. If you bring your car in with race pads they can void the warantee for the hole car. They can just say you have been racing the car, if you say no they will counter with, well they are elegal on the street and we will not warantee anything on the car. My dealer has done it to 3 customers that i know of. If its blatent abuse on the car then the warantee is void.

And y are you taking a SL55 on the track in the first place??? Trying to kill your car? The car was never designed to take that kind of punishment. The ABC(active body control) will fail. Your looking for trouble if you ask me. Keep it on the street. Drive it like it was ment to be driven. Gracfully, not like a race car.

·
Registered
2003 E55
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I drive an E55, not an SL55. I drive it on the track because it's a hell of a lot more fun than driving it on the streets. I don't have the funds or space to keep a race car. As far as warranty coverage, the manager at the dealership is a close friend who takes care of me, so I'm not worried. To turn the tables a little, why don't you take your car on the track to really see what it can do? Street driving cannot compare as far as testing the cars limits. From my experience at the AMG Challenge, MB thinks these cars can hold up pretty well when pushed. From my other 2 track days, I can attest to this too, but the brakes need help.

Instead of scolding me for driving the car harder than most, why don't you try and help me by calling your dealer and asking if they have any old pads to put to a good cause.

·
Registered
2003 E55
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Yesterday, the shop foreman at my dealership posted a memo for all his mechanics to save any discarded brake pads from any of the V8 kompressor cars. Seems like my dealer is helping me "void" my warranty.[}:)]

1 - 10 of 10 Posts