Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have an S350 diesel.

I have an SRS warning light on the dash.

I bought a scanner. Carsoft software, hardware appears to be non-multiplex.

Can the scanner I bought be made to scan airbag codes? I successfully installed the software, (I think) but I'm never able to connect to any of the car systems. Here is the error I get.

"Status : Module is not build-in or does not respond"

(I've tried airbag, ABS, traction, etc. both analog and digital systems)

I bought the scanner from a member, (non-W140) who claims he was able to make it work with his car. Members of the W140 forum have had some limited success.

I'm a '95, and I don't think I have a OBDII port, and I have a diesel, so I know the engine management won't work.

I bought the scanner so I wouldn't have to keep bothering Ricky, who was very helpful, and to save myself a trip to the dealer.

Any suggestions, or help?

·
Outstanding Contributor Always Remembered RIP
6,543 Posts
You could make up the simple blink code reader

·
6,543 Posts
OK, I think I must be dense.

I thought the blinkers only worked with analog systems.

If I build a blinker, will it work with the digital SRS system?
it gives the fault code for doing that so I would hope that it would

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
OK. I'll build a blinker, and give it a try.

In the meantime, more carsoft questions...
When I try to connect to any digital system I get the "Status: Module is not build in, or does not respond !" error.

Last night with the key in position2, and using the analog Airbag scan, I got a carsoft error, but I also got codes. But the codes don't match the codes I got last month.

The Airbag system on a '95 is supposed to be digital, but an LED blinker will work. Does that mean that the "analog" scan will work with carsoft? Is that the same thing?

·
6,543 Posts
Have you read the link of the fault codes that I put up,, that tells you what can be tested on a blink code reader

·
6,543 Posts
Your 107 page pdf? I haven't finished it.

I am still trying to get some use out of the crappy carsoft scanner I shouldn't have bought, though.
the index tells you what is what and what is where

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Thanks for all your help, by the way. :thumbsup:

(I'm frustrated at the lack of functionality in carsoft, and I knew that was a possibility when I bought it. I'm just trying to salvage some value, before I completely write it off. :mad:)

I'll build blinker this week, and I'm trying to digest all the information in the pdf you sent.

I think there's a fair amount of misunderstanding on my part with regards to how the whole system works. Thanks for your patience.

·
6,543 Posts
With all the help on here you will solve it all soon

·
Premium Member
4,660 Posts
I don't know how much a Carsoft scanner is, but a STAR clone is around $5-600 without a computer included.

I bought one from this organization:

MB Star 2011 (C3 VERSION)---AUTOSKY

Works well as far as I know how to use it.

You might ask if anyone on the forum near you has one or maybe try the local chapter of the Mercedes Benz Club of America to see if anyone has a STAR machine, although the blinker should give you all the fault codes that the STAR would. You'll just need the socket map for the 38-pin socket. I noticed that the picture was missing in the Baum Tools manual posted. The STAR has further functionality like reading values and doing some actuations.

No help from MafiaDon?

Brett

·
6,543 Posts
I don't know how much a Carsoft scanner is, but a STAR clone is around $5-600 without a computer included.

I bought one from this organization:

MB Star 2011 (C3 VERSION)---AUTOSKY

Works well as far as I know how to use it.

You might ask if anyone on the forum near you has one or maybe try the local chapter of the Mercedes Benz Club of America to see if anyone has a STAR machine, although the blinker should give you all the fault codes that the STAR would. You'll just need the socket map for the 38-pin socket. I noticed that the picture was missing in the Baum Tools manual posted. The STAR has further functionality like reading values and doing some actuations.

No help from MafiaDon?

Brett
No problem

Attachments

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #19 (Edited)
I've been exchanging PMs with MafiaDON, he's been very helpful.

MB_Fahrer is local, and he helped me read the SRS codes last month. It's an hour and a half round trip to his shop, though, and I don't want to hassle him too much. He was also very helpful.

Since I spent the money on my own scanner, I was hoping to make it work. I'm about ready to give up on that.

Last month, I had 2 SRS codes, Driver's seat belt buckle and control module.

I cleaned the buckle switch, and with a multimeter, I can see the resistance change when I buckle the belt. It matches the passenger seat. I think that has been resolved, (unless there's a wiring issue somewhere else.)

Eddie A was kind enough to send me multiple control modules for test, and I'd like to return the spare modules, asap.

I connected the first control module, and I still have the warning light. When I use carsoft to scan the airbag system in digital mode (the SRS is a digital system) I get "module does not respond or is not built in" errors. I get the same error when I scan any of the items in the 'digital' drop down menu in carsoft.

When I scan the airbag system in analog mode I get errors I was not getting before. I also get what appear to be connection errors. With my limited experience with carsoft, I'm reluctant to believe the new errors in 'analog' mode, particularly with the connection errors.

I'm building a flasher. That seems like it is the most simple solution, and should be the final arbiter on errors. I haven't built one yet, because I was under the mistaken impression that the flasher would not work with the digital SRS system.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts