Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A few months ago I had to pull out the headlight ass'y to fix the headlight washer. ( Every idiot and their mom had to poke at it and ask "What's this?" when they noticed it) But anyway, I put the light back in but didn't aim it right away. The crossfire manual has different setup without the two "peaks" in the beam to go by. So my question is Does anybody have the correct instructions on aiming these lights? I tried to just match the level with the other side and I'm not happy with the results. I did run a search but didn't come up with and answer. I could kick myself right now for being stupid, but the light was just a little off and it bothered me, so I turned the knob a few clicks ...then a few more.. then the other one.. now it's looking worse than it was. It seemed like such a good idea at the time :rolleyes:

·
Registered
662 Posts
There are bubbles in the heal light aim that you center.
A lot like a level with yellow fluid and the air bubble.
Do you see those?
Just twist the two knobs. They will center themselfs.

·
2,594 Posts
humm i didnt kno that there was such a thing?

ive used this guide to re-aim mine. (it applies to any light not just HID). if you look online the guides to re-aim are pretty much the same.

see the attached PDF.

Attachments

·
2,594 Posts
ah i know what he means!

its a physical dot on the actual lense of the headlight which is a reference for the center.

see screenshot from WIS

do adjust it to that, you cant exactly look into the light while doing this. if you have access to a machine which can do it go ahead, but if not the guide above or others on the net (pretty similar) will do a good enough job so you can see and drive safely!

Attachments

·
Registered
14,926 Posts
A rule of thumb that I have used for a very long time is to center the headlight "hot spot" at the headlight centerline at a 10 foot distance.
It's very similar to the PDF that Subby has posted, and works quite well for at least a starting point... ;)

·
Registered
333 Posts
I used a laser level to project the hot spot onto a wall and adjusted from 7.5m. I assumed it was the bulb centre so I adjusted the beam cut-off 3 inches below it. On the right anyway. On the left light I found the adjustors don't work anymore. So I have another job on my todo list:D

PS. Anyone got a photo/drawing of the headlight assembly?

CMount

·
Registered
179 Posts
I do not bother myself with measurements. I just go to dark street, disconnect one headlight and adjust it like I feel it supposed to be. Then switch to another headlight.

·
Registered
333 Posts
We have to pass a National Car Test here in Ireland and lights are the most common failure:mad: So they have to be spot on. Is there a car test in the US?

CMount

·
Registered
1,505 Posts
no car test in the us and what some dont realize is that it may look right to them but it blinds people by shining to high in the mirrors or approaching traffic

·
Registered
14,926 Posts
no car test in the us and what some dont realize is that it may look right to them but it blinds people by shining to high in the mirrors or approaching traffic
Not entirely accurate!
There are a number of States that require various tests be performed on cars to insure minimum safety standards, I can recall going to New Jersey inspections and having the headlights checked for alignment. Don't know if the still do that though.

·
Registered
333 Posts
We have a fantastic system in Ireland (not). The testing is done by a private monopoly who fail cars for the smallest infraction (incorrect licence plate shape, seatbelts not visible or pedals worn) and charge again for the re-test:mad: One guy tried to fail me for a faulty boot lock. I took him outside and had to show him how to open it by pressing the remote:rolleyes:

CMount

·
Registered
14,926 Posts
We have a fantastic system in Ireland (not). The testing is done by a private monopoly who fail cars for the smallest infraction (incorrect licence plate shape, seatbelts not visible or pedals worn) and charge again for the re-test:mad: One guy tried to fail me for a faulty boot lock. I took him outside and had to show him how to open it by pressing the remote:rolleyes:

CMount
Don't feel bad, there is a similar deal in New York State, the inspections are done by independent mechanics, and they always seem to find SOMETHING wrong with the car, even if it is nearly new, and in great mechanical shape.

·
Registered
1,505 Posts
i stand corrected bruce! forgot about the northern states. down here the concern is what new pistol to buy not headlight adj! LOL

·
Registered
14,926 Posts
i stand corrected bruce! forgot about the northern states. down here the concern is what new pistol to buy not headlight adj! LOL
Not to worry, I have that covered as well..... :D

The best there is Browning.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Thanks everybody.

I appreciate all of your suggestions I guess I was on the right track just impatient. I remember seeing an actual picture of the light adjustment for our cars so I thought I would ask if anyone has that. But I suppose it doesn't really make a difference,a headlight is a headlight. My '99 230 did have the bubble levels on it. The 32 doesn't.
NJ has privatized our motor vehicle agencies. They stopped checking headlight level about 15-20 years ago. I actually think it would be a good idea to bring it back for the reason mentioned about blinding oncoming traffic with incorrect adjustments. People modify their car or truck and never change the aim of their headlights. Sitting as low as the slk does doesn't help, but they do look good don't they?
I hear that Arizona doesn't require lights if you don't drive at night and that windshields are optional :D

·
Registered
333 Posts
Good ending. Lights adjusted with laser level passed the dreaded Euro Car Test. Now I can out my HIDs back in:D

CMount

1 - 18 of 18 Posts