21 - 27 of 27 Posts

·
Outstanding Contributor , SDS Guru
1998 MB E300TD, 1997 MB E36 AMG, 2001 MB E55 AMG
3,520 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
Found one!

MVIMG_20200114_123654.jpg MVIMG_20200114_123708.jpg

Car has been neglected very badly, so need to address a few things...most notably the suspension knocking noise from front and rear. Rear was obviously accumulators, but front end was most likely sway bar bushings.

Well, as it turns out....I was right. Sorta.

MVIMG_20200114_170442.jpg

This is the front passenger side sway bar. Doesn't look too bad, eh?

MVIMG_20200114_170437.jpg

Whelp. That explains the knocking noise.

·
Registered
E320/E250 Bluetec Ford F350 6.7l
36,341 Posts
Doesn't really look that clean, but wagon keep the value.
I had sway bar bracket braking on W124, so it is weaker point on MB.
I wonder if you have a way to massage the dents at headlights? Body work was never my thing, so I was avoiding it.

·
Registered
1999 E320, 2003 E320 Wagon, 2005 C230K SS, 2010 Accord LX w Eibach & Koni FSD's
2,658 Posts
I wonder if you have a way to massage the dents at headlights? Body work was never my thing, so I was avoiding it.
Paintless dent removal (PDR) is really an art. I just started playing with it and it takes hours for a beginner to take out a small ding. I can make a ding look ~95%+ better and most people won't notice it was there.

I'm self taught (Youtube lol) and my understanding is if you want to be a professional, it takes a minimum of two weeks of training and two years of experience to be even remotely good!

@Deplore..............can't wait to see your project unfold!

·
Registered
1999 E320, 2003 E320 Wagon, 2005 C230K SS, 2010 Accord LX w Eibach & Koni FSD's
2,658 Posts
View attachment 2617026

How about replacing the sway bar with a H&R one? Highly recommend that those torx bolts be replaced with hex headed ones.

I put an H&R sway bar on my 99 E320 sedan and it helped reduce body roll some...........lowering spring and Bilstein made a bigger difference though. Strangely.........in stock forms, my 2003 E320 wagon handled a lot better than my 1999 sedan.

·
Registered
w163 02 ML500 W210 97 E50Amg w202 99 C230K w124 - need more space, time to build again
2,199 Posts
How about replacing the sway bar with a H&R one? Highly recommend that those torx bolts be replaced with hex headed ones.

I put an H&R sway bar on my 99 E320 sedan and it helped reduce body roll some...........lowering spring and Bilstein made a bigger difference though. Strangely.........in stock forms, my 2003 E320 wagon handled a lot better than my 1999 sedan.
H&R are very nice, but $$$. Polyu bushings/ grommets, lowering springs and shocks are a better choice, imo.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Found one!

View attachment 2617028 View attachment 2617025

Car has been neglected very badly, so need to address a few things...most notably the suspension knocking noise from front and rear. Rear was obviously accumulators, but front end was most likely sway bar bushings.

Well, as it turns out....I was right. Sorta.

View attachment 2617027

This is the front passenger side sway bar. Doesn't look too bad, eh?

View attachment 2617026

I take it that was the one on Craigslist in Castro Valley? I was looking at the same one as I am considering on doing the swap with a 2001 E55 as well. Good luck with the build!

·
Outstanding Contributor , SDS Guru
1998 MB E300TD, 1997 MB E36 AMG, 2001 MB E55 AMG
3,520 Posts
Discussion Starter #27
Doesn't really look that clean, but wagon keep the value.
I had sway bar bracket braking on W124, so it is weaker point on MB.
Yeah it is definitely not clean by any stretch of imagination. There is a long list of things wrong with it, and plenty PLENTY of deferred maintenance. It really shows when I drive it.

I am going to try my hand at hammering out that little dent by the fender, I have to take out the bumper to fix the headlight fogging issue anyway. Plus silver W210 are dime a dozen, so it shouldn't be too difficult to find a replacement fender if I goof it up.

Paintless dent removal (PDR) is really an art. I just started playing with it and it takes hours for a beginner to take out a small ding. I can make a ding look ~95%+ better and most people won't notice it was there.

I'm self taught (Youtube lol) and my understanding is if you want to be a professional, it takes a minimum of two weeks of training and two years of experience to be even remotely good!

@Deplore..............can't wait to see your project unfold!
This will be fun! It'll be a project over several months. I plan on doing E55 swap, make it run and pass BAR referee, then I'll do a manual trans conversion.

Yeah, they're pricey. I want to keep it as OE as possible, meaning factory stuff, factory ride height, factory installation, factory programming, etc. Basically if I ever lose my mind and have to have the car serviced by a dealership or a MB indy, they should have zero trouble -- everything will be familiar to them.

I take it that was the one on Craigslist in Castro Valley? I was looking at the same one as I am considering on doing the swap with a 2001 E55 as well. Good luck with the build!
Haha yes, that's the one! Were you the guy who offered $1200? Small world.

21 - 27 of 27 Posts