Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Outstanding Contributor , SDS Guru
1998 MB E300TD, 1997 MB E36 AMG, 2001 MB E55 AMG
3,396 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
MVIMG_20191128_000539.jpg MVIMG_20191128_000530.jpg MVIMG_20191128_000520.jpg

01 E55 followed me home from New Mexico yesterday. Got a good deal for it.....

....and it's going straight to the junkyard when I'm done with it. :devilish:

Going to make my own little E55 wagon (which means I need to buy yet another W210) or a SLK55 with a manual. Haven't decided which one I'd want yet.

This car is completely trashed. The coolant expansion tank was being held together with tapes, hopes and dreams....and an entire bottle of superglue. Somehow it held for the 1000 mile trip home. Plus it had a random misfire that would occasionally show up under full throttle. And a CEL for something or other, possibly EGR.

Three tires are completely bad/bald, and the one good tire is the spare tire. Also, there is no 4th monoblock. So I'm stuck with 3 monoblocks. :(

It usually doesn't rain in California 364 days out of the 365, but on the one day I make the trip with bad tires, it started to rain...AND snow. We have snow in palmdale. :eek:

It was raining so much that I eventually had to take the surface street...after I passed 7 accidents in one mile stretch on the freeway. All the streets were flooded, and bad tires = hydroplane galore.

Somehow I didn't die. Never want to experience it again.

Anyone know of any clean facelift W210 for sale on the cheap? :devilish:

·
Registered
1996 SL500, 2000 E430
3,628 Posts
What amazes me is that for cars like this E55 that was what, $75,000-$80,000 when new? And yet when these cars get passed from owner to owner, the care slips.

The sad thing for me is that I see so many W210s that looked trashed. And yet with a little care they can still look sharp.

I am going to take my 2000 E430 on a cross country trip shortly. Thought I would have my shop friend check it over first.

He has a good 40 years Mercedes experience, and he is very impressed with this series. Thought it was a good idea that I changed out my original idler pulley after 100,000 miles. He says that with so much of it plastic, they work, until one day they don't. But he said that the major components of this car are rock-solid.

I drove a W124 300E (86) for 370,000 miles; I don't see why I can't do the same for the W210. And it looked far from trashed when I sold it.

Deplore, if you are interested I've heard that they have a W210 12 step program. But first, like all addictions, you have to admit to yourself that you have a problem ;-)

·
3,396 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Deplore, if you are interested I've heard that they have a W210 12 step program. But first, like all addictions, you have to admit to yourself that you have a problem ;-)
I do have a problem.......storage! I have to figure out the storage, hopefully something comes up next week or so, then I can have something!

Still don't see it a problem. :D But for now I have a E55, will figure out as I go along.

I know all too well about longevity of W210 -- the E300TD in the signature has 305k, the 3.6L M104 engine that came out of the C36 that I put in the E320 had 272k, this E55 has 269k and still runs extremely well. I'm restoring the E300TD, then project car on the E55, then E36 last.

I do! At least I know most of the cars except the ML's. I should take a pic of the E55 next to my cars....next week, probably.

·
Registered
Green '02 E320 Wagon
570 Posts
At least you bought an awesome W210 to restore. Meanwhile, I'm working my knuckles bloody to keep my basic E320 4Matic wagon on the road. I would much rather be working on a W210 E55 wagon (were those even imported into the USA?). Yet, I love how the car looks and drives. And I just keep fixing it in hopes that some day it will stop breaking and I'll be done. But that rust...

·
3,396 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Well....I'm not restoring this one. It's going straight to junkyard once I'm done with it.

Had to change the tires with my spare set, the front two were dangerously bald and showing cords, and the rear was done too. Not sure how I didn't die or suffer a blowout on my 1000 mile trip, but not gonna risk it now that I'm home and have the tools to rectify it.

Now the car looks comical. Katjek, you can see the E300 in the background, it's put to the side for a while until I get myself situated, then gonna go back and finish the restoration.

Attachments

·
Registered
1999 E320, 2003 E320 Wagon, 2005 C230K SS, 2010 Accord LX w Eibach & Koni FSD's
2,450 Posts
Going to make my own little E55 wagon (which means I need to buy yet another W210)

Anyone know of any clean facelift W210 for sale on the cheap? :devilish:
Cheap is relative to how much your budget is. There are two facelift W210 wagons listed on my local Craigslist with relatively low mileage at lower than normal asking price.

I would go look, but I already have three MBs and will be getting another W210 in January. Like you..........if I even look at them crossed eyed, they will follow me home o_O

·
3,396 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
You better be saving those monoblocks?
Oh I am. But the car only came with 3 monoblock, so either I have to look for a fourth from somewhere, or sell these and buy a complete set.

Cheap is relative to how much your budget is. There are two facelift W210 wagons listed on my local Craigslist with relatively low mileage at lower than normal asking price.

I would go look, but I already have three MBs and will be getting another W210 in January. Like you..........if I even look at them crossed eyed, they will follow me home o_O
lol, I need another car like I need a hole in my head....but like you said, sometimes in the next upcoming months or next year I'll be getting another one to complete the wagon.

It's surprisingly cheap to insure these cars...but then again, I am adding a fourth vehicle to my stable on my insurance policy... only $58 increase in premium for the year, and that's with the same 250/500k limit. Not sure if its because the E55 has such low claims, or because I have too many vehicles to begin with.

·
Registered
E320/E250 Bluetec Ford F350 6.7l
36,180 Posts
If you complain about cheap insurance, try to insure it in Vegas ;)
The $58 insurance increase might be for the remaining time till you policy will renew, so read what is the actuall premium.
Now what are monoblock sizes? They look darn close to my Lorinsers.

·
3,396 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I have 10 months left on my policy, so pretty sure the actual yearly premium isn't that high.

They're 8x18 ET31 and 9x18 ET35. Interesting enough, the rear monoblock starts with a 210 number, which shows to be original. But the front two monoblocks are 129....maybe the car was in an accident?

Didn't you have monoblocks before?

·
Registered
1998 Mercedes-Benz E300D Turbo
130 Posts
Oh I am. But the car only came with 3 monoblock, so either I have to look for a fourth from somewhere, or sell these and buy a complete set.

lol, I need another car like I need a hole in my head....but like you said, sometimes in the next upcoming months or next year I'll be getting another one to complete the wagon.

It's surprisingly cheap to insure these cars...but then again, I am adding a fourth vehicle to my stable on my insurance policy... only $58 increase in premium for the year, and that's with the same 250/500k limit. Not sure if its because the E55 has such low claims, or because I have too many vehicles to begin with.
my neighbor female mid 50’s accountant has the 2018 e63 AMG wagon I have rode in it on two occasions it’s a beast

·
3,396 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Updates:

Kept having B1 B2 lean codes P0170 and P0173, so I threw a MAF at it and kept driving. Still got the codes, and very rough idle at stops. Finally decided to stop lazing about and do a proper diag.

Did a smoke check, found out that it had massive vacuum leaks literally everywhere -- all the vacuum hoses in front of intake manifold were dry rotted, all the breather hoses were cracked, all the vacuum lines in the back of the manifold that went to the HVAC and EGR were dry rotted, EGR itself was mechanically jammed and constantly leaking exhaust gas into intake, brake booster fitting was leaking, etc. No wonder it reported 25% STFT on both banks after start up.

Swapped all vacuum lines, swapped the EGR valve with a working unit I had laying around (benefits of being in a shop....tons of usable parts lying around), new breather hoses all around, new brake booster fitting, new MAF/TB gaskets, and now the idle is far smoother than before.

Still got the P0170/P0173. Ugh. I'm pretty sure the culprit is the bad MAF, the MAF I threw at it is a questionable one, I don't remember if it was good or not....probably not. Also has cylinder 1, 2, 5, 6 misfire under half throttle. Odd thing is, under full throttle, no misfires at all. Only half throttle.

Will have to swap the coils and spark plugs to see what's up, but I have a feeling it's the injectors, car does have 270k on it, so maybe send it in for a rejetting/flow testing? Who knows.

·
Registered
96 E320
165 Posts
You are my hero. :) E55 would be the W210 to get to have some fun. Are you thinking of transplanting it into an E320 wagon? Would be a cool project. Any plans for mods? Smaller supercharger pulley and tranny shifting mods seem to be popular.

·
Registered
1999 E320, 2003 E320 Wagon, 2005 C230K SS, 2010 Accord LX w Eibach & Koni FSD's
2,450 Posts
Here's a facelift one for $1,000 asking price! Can E55 engine work on a 4Matic?

·
3,396 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I saw that one, actually. I did a nation wide search of all E320 wagons for sale, and I saw that most wagons were 4matic.

Yes, it'll work, but it needs more work. I'd have to transfer the knuckle, possibly the subframe, and a bunch of small things. Too much work for little gain. I'd rather wait and find a clean E320 RWD wagon and start there.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts