Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
'73 450SL, '83 300CD, '01 E320 4matic
2,446 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Mods don't flame me for posting this here, but I need to have it visible to the 123 community. I don't think everyone checks the WTB forum all the time.

I need a car, like this weekend if possible. If anyone has a good running W123 for sale, I would like to buy it. I live in the geographic center of NY state, and am willing to travel.

I have called some CL ads with no answer. We are down a (modern:mad: car) and I would like to replace it with something reliable that I can fix.

A junker would be fine for the time being if it's safe, but I'm more than happy to buy a really good one for the right price if someone happens to have one.

Thanks for not deleting my post!

·
Registered
1985 300CD Turbo coupe, 2006 E320 CDI sedan
573 Posts
The mechanical restoration on this '85 300CD turbo is nearly done. I was just waiting for some nice weather to finish it off. But it's minor stuff that you can do yourself. Otherwise it's ready for a cross country trip right now. PM me with your email address, I'll send you the particulars.

//greg//

·
Registered
2,446 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks. I'm pretty much looking to buy a car tomorrow or Sunday. Life happened in a hurry, and I'm not buying another post 1996 OBDII American s*box.

Actually the car that had the big failure is a 2003 Pontiac Vibe, a re-badged Toyota Matrix. In typical Toyota fashion, it performed flawlessly, requiring only oil changes and routine brakes in its 153K. In one day the door handle pulled off (it's not even rusty), and the head gasket blew. I have every intention of repairing it and making it the runaround car.

I want to find a 300TD for hauling my band equipment, but the Vibe's 35mpg on regular gas is enticing to say the least, and the tall wagon/crossover arrangement is handy for hauling crap. Anyway, I need to buy myself time, and I'd like to do it with another Mercedes. Actually, a really GOOD low mileage 300D would be only outdone by something with a stick shift, which would be preferred, but I'm not picky. A turd would do in a pinch as long as it'd pass inspection and last a little while.

I just figured if anyone locally was having trouble deciding whether or not to sell their car, I'd help them decide.

·
Registered
507 Posts
OT, Pontiac troubles? I feel for you. Sounds like yours was a lot more sound than our larger cousin of the same year. I've replaced springs (both rear springs shattered), the fuel pressure regulator (the cabin was flooded with gas fumes), an EGR valve that snapped in half, all four wheel hubs (the front two TWICE in 30,000 miles), Lower CA bushings,and the rear differential fluid ($100 for the fluid ALONE). It only has 82,000 or so now, and before I had it the transmission had to be overhauled and the top end of the engine was rebuilt under warranty at 32,000 miles because the gasket failed. It's currently burning oil, losing antifreeze, and making a horrible groaning from the rear differential, which means it might be time for that fluid again.

I can say with confidence it's much cheaper and easier to own an old Mercedes!

·
Registered
W108 250s '67, w123 280ce '77, w123 300d-t '85, w126 300sd '85', w140 s600 '94,w210 e230 '97, bug69
262 Posts
Yeah an old 123 would be much reliable than a newer car, its easier to fix and once fixed will be several years before you ever have to fix it again, i fix my w123 myself, but for my other cars have it serviced by someone who has more skills, as the number tells you fixing the w123 is as easy as One two three

·
Registered
2,446 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I saw that wagon on Ebay. Looks like the poor thing has seen better days, too bad. I have a feeling it may go for more than it's worth, since it has the greasecar kit, which I would remove anyway.

I'd really just like to find a really decent 300D, for sale by someone who doesn't think it's worth $5K with 250K miles and rust on it because it has a star at the end of the hood.

I'm not even against buying a junker, if it's solid and priced accordingly. But I would actually like to find a nice example.

I think it's an issue of supply and demand, there just are not many around here. Looking at CL ads in places like California, beautiful examples sell for 1/4 of the price of junkers here, often, from the looks of things. If time was on my side, I'd travel far and find the best one, but unfortunately, I'm limited to New England and the North Atlantic states for now.

·
Registered
2,446 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
PM sent.

I'm still looking. I bought a little more time, so I have another week or so.

I'd like to find a nice one. 240D with a stick in good shape is at the top of the list.

Any other 300D in good condition is certainly worth considering. Willing to travel a little bit for it. I'm not looking for a $10,000 car, but one with 150K to 250K in good running well maintained relatively rust free condition would be excellent. They seem to be all over in the $2500-$4000 range as described above, but just not anywhere near here, at least not advertised.

·
Registered
1978 300d
395 Posts
PM sent.

I'm still looking. I bought a little more time, so I have another week or so.

I'd like to find a nice one. 240D with a stick in good shape is at the top of the list.

Any other 300D in good condition is certainly worth considering. Willing to travel a little bit for it. I'm not looking for a $10,000 car, but one with 150K to 250K in good running well maintained relatively rust free condition would be excellent. They seem to be all over in the $2500-$4000 range as described above, but just not anywhere near here, at least not advertised.
great! i got your PM, but i felt bad calling you on sunday night so i'll give you a call in the next day or two. as i said, my car has 149,000 miles, i'm the second owner, and the PO was a diesel mechanic. it does have a few minor issues and some undercarriage rust like most east coast w123's, but i've put a fair amount of work into it since i bought it in august and she runs and looks great. if i were to sell it i'd hope to get around $4,000 without the rack and euro plate. if you'd like, i have plenty more pictures i can send you. talk to you soon, thanks!

·
Registered
2,446 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
If you're still up, call now! I'll be up till 11.

·
Registered
2005 w203, 2013 Town & Country
2,180 Posts
While not a pure car...I am over in Buffalo - and this has been a GREAT car to me for the past 15 years...

Engine has under 30,000 miles
Only mechanical needs have been two starters...
It is ODBI and gets about 22mpg if I had to guess...

For Sale: 1980 Mercedes Benz 230

Attachments

·
Registered
2,446 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I remember that car. It's pretty cool, but I'm definitely looking for an original model. The only F*rd engine I don't mind is the 4 cylinder, ie. 2.3. Enough so, that I've thought of putting a 2.3 turbo Ford engine in a 123 project car at some point. But I don't care for the others, American car wise, I'm pretty much GM.

No denying that you've done a nice job with the exterior, and the work you've done to the car appears top notch.

·
Registered
1978 300d
395 Posts
hey aaron,

you can find all of the pictures i currently have of my car at the link below. as i said, i'd like to hold on to the roof rack and euro plate if i were to sell it, but you can get the idea from the rest. the pictures w/o the rack are older, before the new exhaust, and i've also given it a few coats of polish since then to bring the color back to the back half of the car a little bit. looking forward to hearing from you, thanks!

1978 Mercedes 300d pictures by slk0230 - Photobucket

·
Registered
currently no MBs
533 Posts
Here are some pics of my 230E that I was telling you about. It hasn't been driven or out of that garage in over a month.

Attachments

·
Registered
77 280E, 78 450SEL, 86 300E, 87 300E, 90 300E, 92 400E & 4 scooters
233 Posts
OMG, you just described my 1978 300D that I'm planning to list on EBay later this week. It does have 254,000 miles but the engine and fuel pump were rebuilt at 250,000 miles. No rust, but 2 little paint blisters, the interior is sweet, excelent wood, new seat cushons and springs, no tears, no cracks in dash, carpet is great.

It really is a sharp car.

Last year I changed all the fluids (brake fluid too) and glow plugs just for good measure. I adjusted the valves while I was under the hood and replaced the hood pad so everything would be fresh and new. Also replaced the windshield a year or two ago.

The A/C compressor seized, so if you want cold A/C grab your wrenches.

New headlight doors. So, the car is sharp but it's no show car. If you look closely at the factory paint you can see spots that have been toutched up. But standing next to the car it looks very nice.

It's "Silver Green" in color. I live in Cleveland Ohio (330 miles away) and would like to see $3,500.00 for the car. I think it's worth $4,000+ in todays market, but.......

I stumbled accross my new love last fall, a 1977 280E W123 on this forum. And my wife says 9 Benz's in the garage is retarded. SO, I'm selling my lil Diesel to prove that I don't need some intervention program.

PM me with your e-mail and I'll send you pictures if interested. I'll give you first crack at it if $3,500 is a fair number for ya.

·
Registered
2,446 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
With a rebuilt engine, it does sound good. How's the trans, and how's the servo?

·
Registered
1980 300TD Estate
451 Posts
might consider selling my 300td wagon....let me know if interested. Have owned it almost 20 years, has 148k on body and under 4k on new engine...cam broke in original engine made the engine toast...

car is as clean as you will get...and runs like a champ 30mpg at 75mph all day long

·
Registered
2,446 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
PMs are sent. I am definitely interested in seeing pics and hearing about anything that anyone has- I have some good leads. It's amazing how many different 123s there really are, when you think about it.

Everyone who has responded to me, either via this thread, or in PM has had nice cars. I will say that. I haven't seen a crappy one yet!

:thumbsup:

1 - 20 of 22 Posts