Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I need a new set of tires (235/60/16) as my tires (Pirelli P6's) have completely gone bald. My eyes are on the Michelin Primacy, but they're running around $145 a pop at my local BJ's :eek::eek:

Anyone recommend a good set of tires that are moderately priced?

Also, would be interested in picking up a used set if anyone out there has a good set to unload. Thanks, Agron

1993 400 SEL

·
Registered
93 190E 2.3, 94 E320 (sold), 01 E320, 99 S320, 18 Durango
5,005 Posts
I used Kumho in my both W201 & W124 after having Michelin and they are very good for the price.

·
Registered
1997 S 500
89 Posts
I got the Primacy's from Costco a couple months ago - they had a special where they gave a $60 credit for the purchase of 4 Michelin tires. Made it a decent deal, considering free tire rotation and valve/balancing/disposal was included in the price.

·
93 SL500, 95 SL320, 96 S320, 98 S500, 2002 E320 4Matic Wagon & A little 91 5.0 FORD Mustang
8,701 Posts
I would buy tires from Tire Rack-on-line vendor

Tire Rack - Your performance experts for tires and wheels

Direct link to tires for the 500SEL

Search for Tires by Size

I've been buying tires from Tirerack for the last 15 years. I was hooked buy one of my outside sales rep. The savings 30% to 150%, and when I bought my first set of four I saved 100%. Freight is about forty bucks for a set four tires if you have the tires shipped to a commercial address you will save a little on the freight. I get my tires installed at Mercedes dealership(Mercedes dealership has those nice plastic coated lead balancing weights) or pep-boys.

One thing to note, I would buy 45 PSI tires in these high gas price times instead of the usual 35 PSI tire. What I've noticed on these 45 PSI tires is the side-walls are much thicker. Most tires are triple "A" rated (Temperature-Tread-wear-Traction) Temperature and Traction very important, and should always be "A" rated. The DOT stamp (on every side wall of every tire) should be no more than a year old(four digits-first two digits week(s) and second two digits year)

Martin

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for all the replies. I was looking around at all the major online tire retailers (including Tire Rack) and after shipping and having them brought to a reputable shop for install, it actually comes out to be more than going to my local Sears, Costco or BJ's. Plus they guarantee against any flat for life, and rotation is free.

I think i might shell out the extra bucks and go with the Michelin Primacy's. How many miles can I expect out of them?

·
Registered
1997 S 500
89 Posts
I came to the same conclusion - that Tire Rack is no deal after shipping/installation charges. Maybe for a less expensive tire it makes sense, but otherwise Costco was as good as any.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts