Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
183 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
My Alpine is gasping its last breath. Only the right channel works, the fader could cause a hip hop guy to give up his turntable and reception and quality are not even an issue.

Talked to the guy in Saddlebrook. Hes very competent, but the offerings are expensive and minimal. Best thing about their setup is that its plug and play. And thats attractive, but I'm looking at crutchfield. There is a Sony HU DSX-S300BTX thats reasonably priced and on sale at $179 with built in blue tooth, totally digital (no CD), has the tune tray feature (no frigging wires all over your dash panel), good power and very expandable to sub amps, HD and satelite. http://www.crutchfield.com/p_158DSX300B/Sony-DSX-S300BTX.html?tp=5684&nvpair=FFBrand|Sony

So fiinally, heres my question: On the other forum, a really early post says that Crutchfield part # 120701860, apparently still available, provides a wiring harness that will fit the 190E. http://www.crutchfield.com/p_120701860/Mercedes-Receiver-Wire-Harness.html?showAll=N&search=120701860&avf=N&skipvs=T

This means no wire cutting, the original connectors are intact, etc. Just a little neater install. Crutchfield says its for Mercedes 1981-1994, but not the 190E. This may make sense as most Mercedes did not come with Alpines. Primarily Beckers I think. So does anyone have any first hand experience with this? Is it a match or not?

·
Outstanding Contributor
2,995 Posts
Did you try changing the fader switch in the panel with all the window switches? Those things go bad and cause all sorts of issues with the sound, ie. beating out a rapper. (I must confess though that somehow my Alpine has had trouble with losing sound to channels. I had to bring it back under warranty for losing sound to one of the rear channels, and it seems to be out again, although this time after a long time.)

·
Registered
504 Posts
In any installation above 4 Watts per channel, the fader should be bypassed. And preferably, new wires of more heavy guage should be installed.

·
Registered
183 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I know the fader switch has to go. Wish I had a better idea about how to wire six speakers into the radio.

·
IR MODERATOR
9,228 Posts
ive been using kenwood sand ive been impressed

·
Registered
183 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I've been studying the Crutchfield options and all of them including the Kenwood look pretty good to me. The Sony just seems like a really good option b/c it comes with bluetooth, has a $100 price reduction, fully compatible with most ipod variants without an additional cord and the "tune tray" allows you to hide the ipod inside the radio out of sight and w/o wires all over the cabin.

·
IR MODERATOR
9,228 Posts
i got the kenwood 945bt and its an aweesome unit. amazon has it for a decent price

·
Registered
183 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
The Kenwood is much better looking than most of them. Sony in particular has a ricey looking display

·
Outstanding Contributor
2,995 Posts
I love Kenwood. I am a little concerned after their bankruptcy. (I don't have any experience with any of their products afterwards.) I have a Kenwood in my W123 and it never broke down. I asked my dad one day why he thought they went bankrupt, (inside my mind I had the answer already,) and he said it's because their radios never break.

I had a local shop install an amp from the subwoofer output of the radio to the two door speakers, the 4 channels to the dash and rear shelf. You might consider this configuration. I am happy with it.

Thanks vish about the tip on bypassing the fader!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts