Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
420 SEL
116 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'll be changing my trany filter and oil today. How do i get the fluid out of the torque convert.? I know there's a pace with a screw on the bottom, but how do i get to thet spot? Please rely quickly if you know . Thank you once again. OH also how much fluid (QTZ) do i need to put back in there?

·
Registered
420 SEL
116 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
wOW THAT'S GREAT. I just have one more ?. Looking at the diagram it shows 8.9 to fill it full with filter and everything. Is that 8.9 QTZ of trany fluid? Thanks again[:D]

·
Registered
Depends on the day!
13,337 Posts
Start w/ 4, then start the car and put it in gear. Take it to seven then check for proper engagement. If that is OK, take the car for a short drive (if it's not shifting Right bring the car back and add another half quart) then check the level. Add as neccesary then take for a 10-15 minute drive, check the level again..

Jonathan

·
Registered
Perlmuttgrau 300SEL
1,006 Posts
handy hint :

theres only about 150ml between the low and high level markings on the dipstick.

·
Registered
420 SEL
116 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
OK guys whats the deal. I drained the pan, torque converter, changed filter. I added 9.5 (9 and 1/2 bottles) of transmission fluid drove the car for about 15 min and let it run for another 15. checked the fluid level and its WAY UP. did i forget to drain something else? did i need to drive the car longer? what's the deal? HELP

[?][?]

·
Registered
Depends on the day!
13,337 Posts
jhodg5ck - 4/2/2005 3:24 PM

Start w/ 4, then start the car and put it in gear. Take it to seven then check for proper engagement. If that is OK, take the car for a short drive (if it's not shifting Right bring the car back and add another half quart) then check the level. Add as neccesary then take for a 10-15 minute drive, check the level again..

Jonathan
That's why I said start w/ 7 quarts... The transmission will ALWAYS hold onto more fluid then you think they will, it's impossible to Completely drain one w/ a total tear down.

I service at Least one transmission a week, so I've been through this a couple of times;-)

If you have a topsider that would be the easiest to get the fluid level back in order. If not, you'll just have to drain it out the old fashioned way.

Good Luck!:)

Jonathan

1 - 9 of 9 Posts