Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
Looking for a W123 (ideally a wagon)
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone, I am looking for a nice w123 turbo diesel with a good engine, no rust and good compression.

Currently, my family and I live in Oakland, CA and we need a family car as soon as possible.

Could anyone give advice on how much I should spend? Also, I would like some advice on what to look out for, how to spot a lemon, etc...

Any feedback is appreciated! Thank you for your time...

Dora

·
Registered
1981 W123 300D non turbo, 1992 190E 1.8 <=> 2.0
6,561 Posts
If you are in a hurry be prepared to pay extra.

I would expect that for a turbo diesel wagon that has no rust and apparently no problems and you're in a hurry you'd be paying somewhere in the region of 5000 to 10000 USD.

Here's a good buying guide

The Unofficial MB Diesel DIY Pages

Why have you decided to buy a diesel? If it is a fuel economy realted reason I'd take a look at the mpg numbers quoted in this thread

http://www.benzworld.org/forums/w123-e-ce-d-cd-td/1663997-fuel-mileage-123-series-diesels.html

Don't fall for the 40 mpg + figures you see on ebay!

If you are thinking that you can run the car on chip fat then you might find that you need to be a little bit more careful about your fuel than is often suggested.

·
Registered
1981 300D with a funny tranny
965 Posts
I bought my car for $1800, spent $5-6k making it nice for my friend who bought it from me for $2500. Gave me 20-23 mpg on 100% biodiesel.
I had a lot of fun learning how to fix it, i left some blood under that hood... If I paid a shop to fix it would have been easly $10k plus. Luckily Garret helped me out a lot.

I spent less money/time on my 1998 VW jetta TDI, bought it for $7k ($10k with all the loan stuff), I have changed the fuel filter once. That is all.
43-47 mpg. It's boring, the only thing I fixed was a window when it got broke into. :p

I referred Dora to this forum to find a "reliable" w123 diesel and to know what's she getting into. Hoping somebody has a car for them.

Dora, just be patient and learn about this cars a bit before been stuck with one and ending up spending a bunch more in repairs.

One thing is for sure, if you want to have a w123 then you will have to be your own mechanic for a bunch of lil things otherwise, you need to be wealthy to pay somebody else to do it for you.

When you use biodiesel, a lot of regular diesel gunk gets loose and clogs the filters. If you take it to a mechanic, they may want to make some money out of you and tell you that you need a new injection pump... Changing filters is a must know to use bio in an old diesel, also to perform diesel purges.

All that "changing hoses to VITON" is an exageration in my opinion, all old hoses must be replaced anyways and German original equipment is the best and way cheaper .

I will leave it there for now, I hope others chime in with some input!

Bless!

·
Registered
6,561 Posts
I'm surprised scoot's car hasn't gone already - go Dora go!

·
Registered
1982 300CD
5,157 Posts
You can't find a more fulfilling hobby, but if you need a reliable, efficient family car, the Jetta suggestion might be a good one.

·
Registered
6,561 Posts

·
Registered
1981 300D with a funny tranny
965 Posts
1 - 10 of 10 Posts