Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Outstanding Contributor
1990 500SL, 1986 500SEC
1,798 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I sure am an emotional and irrational individual. I hastily sold my 560SEL to a friend and miss it like crazy. Especially since he is taking care of all the little things I hadn't bothered with b/c of all my other projects ect.

Anyway, I am back looking for a Gen I euro 500SEL or a Gen II 560SEL. I would really prefer a black or camel interior and a silver or other dark color exterior.

Lastly, there is a car in South River, NJ I am interested in if someone wanted to do me a solid and check it out.

Thanks.

·
Registered
1989 300SE (Rear Ended & Junked) 1995 E420, Fully Loaded with Ortho Seats & Rear Sun Shade :)
503 Posts

·
Outstanding Contributor
1990 500SL, 1986 500SEC
1,798 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hahaha! Thanks capescor. I've book marked almost everyone of those. Most haven't emailed or called me back.

How many of these are you volunteering to check out for me ;)

·
Registered
1989 300SE (Rear Ended & Junked) 1995 E420, Fully Loaded with Ortho Seats & Rear Sun Shade :)
503 Posts
How many of these are you volunteering to check out for me ;)
Haha .. None as I don't feel confident in my abilities to give a proper opinion. However, Brooklyn is nearer to me and I can go and take detailed photos, if you think it's worth buying. That particular post says "Rust".

As for the cars in NJ, I think forcefed44 would be the right person as he has the required experience and is nearer to quite some of them.

Let me know if you want to consider Brooklyn.

Cheers

·
Outstanding Contributor
1990 500SL, 1986 500SEC
1,798 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Haha .. None as I don't feel confident in my abilities to give a proper opinion. However, Brooklyn is nearer to me and I can go and take detailed photos, if you think it's worth buying. That particular post says "Rust".

As for the cars in NJ, I think forcefed44 would be the right person as he has the required experience and is nearer to quite some of them.

Let me know if you want to consider Brooklyn.

Cheers

Thanks. I will let you know.

·
Registered
503 Posts
Just called the Brooklyn guy ... can't place him from his thick accent, maybe Hispanic

The few short details:

1. The car was sitting for 6 years before he bought it in 2006 and his daily driver for 4 yrs.

2. Rust spot under front passenger bumper (usual spot).

3. Bubble on the door (Didn't ask where and which door).

4. Rust on the chrome of the front bumper.

5. Recent rip on the driver's seat (Was told when I asked about the quality of the driver's seat)

6. Looks wise - passable and mechanically - nice (His opinion) as he has replaced plenty parts. Didn't ask about any idling issues etc as I thought that was best seen 1st hand.

Lemme know ...

:)

Cheers

PS: Asked him about the undercarriage. He said some rusts and he has welded quite some spots underneath.

PPS: Just realised that Holliswood is max 2 miles away. Can go and check that out, too. :)

·
Registered
1966 200 Diesel; 1985 500 SEL (wrecked); 1991 420 SEL; 1979 280E (Home Market); 1993 190E 2.6
584 Posts
LOL Mike, I never commented, but I was wondering what in the hell you were doing selling the 560. Glad to see you came back to your senses :p

Since you are back in the market I have to say a Gen1 500 Euro is a nice animal. I too would take one. If I see anything around that you might like I will send you a link.

Not in the market for a W109 6.3 are you? I know where a few of those are.....

-Wolf

·
Outstanding Contributor
1990 500SL, 1986 500SEC
1,798 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Wolf, I knew it was a mistake. I was just feeling really discouraged and overwhelmed at the moment.

So a 6.3 huh? I found a guy who HAD a chache of them but sold them all :( I do love a 108/109 body.

Anyway, shoot me a message about whats happnin' in LK G. Would like to plan that drive you were talking about.

·
Registered
1966 200 Diesel; 1985 500 SEL (wrecked); 1991 420 SEL; 1979 280E (Home Market); 1993 190E 2.6
584 Posts
A cache of 6.3's? Wow, that sounds fun. Yeh the W109 is a pretty nice thing. I'd consider a 280 (M130) if it was the right car. I'm always looking. I still haven't made a move on that Euro 116, but I know its not going anywhere, and I am sure I will end up with it in the spring if not sooner; its got a sweet blue cloth interior. :tup:

My schedule is open for a cruise through the mountains. Winter in the mountains can be an adventure, but I'm up for whatever, the 420 has working ASR, let it snow......

Adirondak Loj is open, nice place to stay. A pic of a buncha 126's in the lot there would be really cool even if just on a day trip. Gotta be careful posting winter driving pics. Some of our pals in SoCal or Dixie might need medical attention if they saw what we drive in sometimes. :-D

Lemme kno....

-Wolf

·
Outstanding Contributor
1990 500SL, 1986 500SEC
1,798 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Do me a favor and buy my W116 280SE. Take your pick, white and rusty over green plaid euro cloth or silver and scabby over blue velour. I make them sound pretty rough but overall I get compliments.

Then I can build my cache to buy a nicer W126.

Yeah there was a guy on CL back in Oct who had a "barn find" of 4 or 5 6.3 cars, a 4.5 or two and something else I forget. He was asking around 5k on average but it sounded like a deal for the most part.

I would love to talk one on one about a winter drive! PM me your number and a time to call.

·
Registered
584 Posts
Mike don't make the 116's sound so appealing. lol

The one I'll end up with currently belongs to a buddy. Its a silver '79 280 SE, and its a peach. Cloth, crank windows, metric cluster. I drool over it. I'm supposed to get his W110 running for him so maybe I will have a little labor in there to negotiate with on the W116.

I saw that ad on CL with the 'Barn Find' 6.3's. Might have had a 6.9 in there too I can't remember. I hope whoever got them didn't end up with anything 'barn sour'.

I'll send you my number. I'm at the house mostly this time of year unless I go out hiking for a few days. Lunchtime is always a good time to reach me. I feel a trip to Lake Placid coming on.

-Wolf

·
Registered
Euro 1985 500SEL
1,498 Posts
I have to say a Gen1 500 Euro is a nice animal. I too would take one.
I know I've made complaints about repairs on my car, but I have to agree with Wolfy on this one. Especially when I see all the problems so many guys here have that I haven't experienced yet on my euro 500SEL. Whenever I think about moving up to a 560SEL..I just take a look at all problems I see posted here on them and then forget it..lol. I guess the Gen1 cars were simpler, and as with all things MB..the newer the car the more doodads with it..the more repairs and problems.

Good luck bud..hope you find something! ;)

·
Registered
1982 500 SEL 126 V8 Euro Model; Engine type: 117961; tranmission: 722350
563 Posts
SELLING MY 126 EUROS TO IMPORT A 126 AMG QUAD CAM EURO!
Loaded no rust '86 Gen 2 420SE euro; rare euro AMG options: trip computer and half moon tach, Rebuilt E/S shift tranny with FGS. No SR; town/country horn, driver side mike for hands off phone; 130K miles; all emissions gear, new cat converter; all maintenance done: new chain+rails, fuel system pumps; injectors, air hoses, EHA, fuel pressure regulator; valve stem seals+rockers; disc brakes & rotors, tires, shocks, suspension lower ball joints and rod kits, improved copper fuses, d/shaft donuts, euro headlights, alternator, starter; tropical copper radiator and hoses, new water pump +fan clutch, crankshaft position sensors(back-front); new EZL; cold A/C euro round type manual dials, just all preventive maintenance to make it last and enjoy; distinguished gold color that gets me a lot of compliments and dead reliable cold/hot weather. $5,99500.

My '82 Gen 1 500SEL is loaded with all options plus ortho inflatable and heated seats, 158K; lowered Bilstein suspension, no emissions, FGS tranny, Lorinser skirts+front spoiler; ++++, this car is as fast if not more than my old euro 6.9: it spins tires 1st & 2d gear with a solid lsd rear end; sunroof and trunk open shut as new, beautiful silver color (some clear coat peel sunroof, 1 scratch rf); grey interior, chains, seals, steering box ++++ done; starts first click -20 degree weather. $5,500.
NOTE: RARE PENTA STYLE RIMS ON 500 SEL NOT INCLUDED AND NOT FOR SALE!.
Both cars are Cali, Texas cars never exposed to rust:

Attachments

·
Registered
'83 380SEC AMG'ed euro, '92 500SL, '91 190e 2.6 5-speed
2,389 Posts
SELLING MY 126 EUROS TO IMPORT A 126 AMG QUAD CAM EURO!
Loaded no rust '86 Gen 2 420SE euro; rare euro AMG options: trip computer and half moon tach, Rebuilt E/S shift tranny with FGS. No SR; town/country horn, driver side mike for hands off phone; 130K miles; all emissions gear, new cat converter; all maintenance done: new chain+rails, fuel system pumps; injectors, air hoses, EHA, fuel pressure regulator; valve stem seals+rockers; disc brakes & rotors, tires, shocks, suspension lower ball joints and rod kits, improved copper fuses, d/shaft donuts, euro headlights, alternator, starter; tropical copper radiator and hoses, new water pump +fan clutch, crankshaft position sensors(back-front); new EZL; cold A/C euro round type manual dials, just all preventive maintenance to make it last and enjoy; distinguished gold color that gets me a lot of compliments and dead reliable cold/hot weather. $5,99500.

My '82 Gen 1 500SEL is loaded with all options plus ortho inflatable and heated seats, 158K; lowered Bilstein suspension, no emissions, FGS tranny, Lorinser skirts+front spoiler; ++++, this car is as fast if not more than my old euro 6.9: it spins tires 1st & 2d gear with a solid lsd rear end; sunroof and trunk open shut as new, beautiful silver color (some clear coat peel sunroof, 1 scratch rf); grey interior, chains, seals, steering box ++++ done; starts first click -20 degree weather. $5,500.
NOTE: RARE PENTA STYLE RIMS ON 500 SEL NOT INCLUDED AND NOT FOR SALE!.
Both cars are Cali, Texas cars never exposed to rust:
I'm not seeing any AMG options on the first one, though the trip comp is a rare Mercedes option.

Second car is very nice, though the front spoiler looks to be broken/cut.

Good luck with your sale(s)!

·
Outstanding Contributor
1990 500SL, 1986 500SEC
1,798 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I like that Gen I. What do you know about -20 degree weather? :D I'll be the judge of that if it makes it to my driveway in CNY.

Also I want to know more about those pentas regardless if they are for sale.

·
Registered
584 Posts
Its gonna be -5 here or so tomorrow night, so I am interested to see how fast the 420 will start in that cold. Gonna test it out just to satisfy my curiosity.

·
Registered
89 300SE
357 Posts
I sure am an emotional and irrational individual. I hastily sold my 560SEL to a friend and miss it like crazy. Especially since he is taking care of all the little things I hadn't bothered with b/c of all my other projects ect.

Anyway, I am back looking for a Gen I euro 500SEL or a Gen II 560SEL. I would really prefer a black or camel interior and a silver or other dark color exterior.

Lastly, there is a car in South River, NJ I am interested in if someone wanted to do me a solid and check it out.

Thanks.
There is a Gen-2 for sale at the Exxon gas station in Martinsville, NJ. It is black, but I am not sure the color of the inside. It seems like a nice car. It was at the station last week. Call the gas station to see if it still available. Martinsville is about 10 mins from my house, I'll be glad to do a visual inspection for you.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts