Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
111.010 121.942 202.033
1,850 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been trying to read up and educating myself via this forum. Great stuff.

I've been kicking around the idea of buying a Unimog for several years. The intended purpose was to have some fun offroad with an occasional trip to the city. Purely for use as a toy, but hardly practical for the 6-8 times a year I'd use it.

Now my needs have changed a bit - which might justify buying a mog.[;)]

I'm looking at a boat that weighs 10,000 pounds, add another 2-3000 for the trailer. This would allow me to store the boat myself - annually saving haul out and winter storage fees at a boat yard. Buying a truck just for this purpose doesn't make sense and would be very expensive. Plus there wouldn't be any fun in it! Is this my excuse to buy a Unimog?[:D]

I know mogs have the torque and gearing to tow just about anything - but what about at speed? What mog can tow this type of weight safely at highway speeds?

Originally I wanted a 404 M180 or 406 diesel short wheel base 2 door w/ a fixed roof (no canvas or cabrio). Is this still a possiblity? Can the "fast" axles and good brakes be found on the 404/406? Can it even handle this?

It also has to be over 25 years old b/c registration and insurance are dirt cheap in Illinois for antique vehicles. Another big advantage over a heavy duty pickup!

Dave
I must have hit my head on something hard.......

·
Registered
45 Posts
If you want a tow rig, the get a domestic 3/4 or 1 ton. Mogs can tow a great deal of weight but at a relatively low speed. No offense, but you're barking up the wrong tree. Both the typical 404 and 406 (stock) have engine outputs in the 80 to 90 hp range. No on the fast axles for both of these also. For a 406, you'll want a warning light to keep folks from hitting you from behind on the interstate.

A U1300 or bigger would be closer getting there. Keep researching and you'll see what I mean.

·
Registered
Unimog 404.011
78 Posts
Defenetly agree. If you drive a 404 or a 406 towing a helluwa boat you will have elderly women honking and tailgating you. You should look for a newer type mog with more power or at least a 416.

But still whatever mog you choose to purchase good luck in finding a nice machine.

[:D]

·
Registered
'78 Mog 416.141 DoKa
3,407 Posts
416 would do it if you had fast axles - at 55 MPH, at least. Towing with a short wheelbase 406 would be entertaining.

Towing that boat with a nice U1300 would be cool and not a problem at all.

Beware tagging your Mog as a "antique" in IL - you'll be subject to a BUNCH of rules that will make driving it regularly almost impossible.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Here is what you need. If you get it I'll be insanely jealous

http://www.dansunimogs.com/Unimog2450L38ForSale.htm

·
Registered
'78 Mog 416.141 DoKa
3,407 Posts
yeah - that would tow plenty of boat.

Dr Dan just lowered the price today, too !

·
Registered
111.010 121.942 202.033
1,850 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Mogasaurus - 5/13/2005 11:09 AM

416 would do it if you had fast axles - at 55 MPH, at least. Towing with a short wheelbase 406 would be entertaining.

Towing that boat with a nice U1300 would be cool and not a problem at all.

Beware tagging your Mog as a "antique" in IL - you'll be subject to a BUNCH of rules that will make driving it regularly almost impossible.
Hmm....I've never had a problem. I have enough spare parts in my trunk to claim I'm testing a repair or going to the mechanic anyway.

I figured a 404 or 406 wouldn't be up for the task. Doesn't hurt to ask. I'll research a 416 and U1300.

·
Registered
mogless, except for my friends MB4-94. And a bunch of other diesel junk.
2,512 Posts
Another bonus... while quite spendy, there is an overdrive that you can get for the 1300. Probably cheaper than fast axles. Just dreamin.... Seth

·
Registered
G320 & E500
1,193 Posts
VMog - 5/13/2005 2:21 PM

Here is what you need. If you get it I'll be insanely jealous

http://www.dansunimogs.com/Unimog2450L38ForSale.htm

How much does a rig like this cost???

Chuck

·
Registered
111.010 121.942 202.033
1,850 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
OK - I think I'll focus on a 416 for now. What does DoKa mean? Is that a 4 door cab or does it mean something else? I'd be interested in either 4 doors or 2. I don't want a cabrio. I want fast axles, not sure about other options. The tilt bed might be fun. What is the availability of PTO options here in the USA and can a PTO be added cheap/easy later if wanted? Solid running condition, not a rust bucket nor do I want to pay a premium for a perfect example.

What price range should I expect?

I've looked at most of the links listed in this forum and see we have some good resources to work with. Additionally, I'll be in German for 11 days this fall so I could find a rig w/ my own eyes before writing any checks. Where should I look when I'm over there? If anybody wants to share a container that would save some $s also.

Thanks,

Dave

·
Registered
'78 Mog 416.141 DoKa
3,407 Posts
mb230s - 5/16/2005 3:35 PM

OK - I think I'll focus on a 416 for now. What does DoKa mean? Is that a 4 door cab or does it mean something else? I'd be interested in either 4 doors or 2. I don't want a cabrio.
Dopple Kabin - Double Cab - I.E. 4 door

I want fast axles, not sure about other options. The tilt bed might be fun. What is the availability of PTO options here in the USA and can a PTO be added cheap/easy later if wanted?
Fast axles are not that common - you'll have to search a little harder. With the stock 6-speed trans, they can be found. If you want the big 20 speed box, it would have to be a retro-fit. Ma Benz never made a fast axle 20 speed. PTO's are very common, front and back. Mid-ship PTO's are less so. See if you can find one with the 2-speed PTO. All the hardware is available in spares to add whatever you want.

What price range should I expect?
DoKa's are expensive in the USA, $30K and up for decent ones - best to find one in EU, take the exchange rate hit and import. Of course, you must meet the 25 year rule to do that.

I've looked at most of the links listed in this forum and see we have some good resources to work with. Additionally, I'll be in German for 11 days this fall so I could find a rig w/ my own eyes before writing any checks. Where should I look when I'm over there?
I highly recommend Classic Unimogs - Sig has my endorsement as a seller.

http://www.classicunimogs.com/index.html

If anybody wants to share a container that would save some $s also.
It might be easier to use a RoRo ship and just drive it on. Import through Port of Baltimore and drive it home. I can suggest a cheap and good broker there to handle paperwork if you don't want to go it alone (probably a good idea with port security being what it is).

FYI - there was a long wheelbase U1300 DoKa posted for sale on Unimog Exchange about 2 weeks ago. Fast axles and everything ! Probably very cool ! A little spendy but who knows, maybe the seller is motivated [8D]

·
Registered
111.010 121.942 202.033
1,850 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Thanks for all the tips! $30K is way too steep for my wallet. Send me the broker info if you get a chance. I'll drop your guy a note after I've done some more research.

Thanks,

Dave

·
Registered
'78 Mog 416.141 DoKa
3,407 Posts
For customs brokerage in Port of Baltimore, contact:

Diane Kraus
Kraus International
1400 E Clement St
Baltimore

She is knowledgable about DOT/EPA waiver imports for vehicles and has done Mogs. Lat time I used her was a few years ago - she charged a $100 flat fee to leg all the paperwork. No hitches.

·
Registered
111.010 121.942 202.033
1,850 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Can fast axles be added to a 416 w/ standard axles? If so - how difficult are they to find and install? Guess on the cost?

·
Registered
111.010 121.942 202.033
1,850 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Okay - I've given up on the tow vehicle concept. Single cab, hard top, tilt bed, fast axles, minimal rust. Is this a possibility and what models are best? I'm still undecided on the engine. I know the M180 like the back of my hand, the M130 is still relatively easy to work on w/ good parts availability and more power, diesel may be best - I just don't know anything about them. I plan to Line-X the entire chassis, bed, and cab so looks are not important. 25 years old would be nice also b/c registration and insurance is dirt cheap in Illinois.

·
Registered
'78 Mog 416.141 DoKa
3,407 Posts
mb230s - 7/22/2005 9:20 AM

Okay - I've given up on the tow vehicle concept. Single cab, hard top, tilt bed, fast axles, minimal rust. Is this a possibility and what models are best?
404,406,416 or 435 (U1300L) meet these specs, all though I'm not sure about dump beds in 404's.

I'm still undecided on the engine. I know the M180 like the back of my hand, the M130 is still relatively easy to work on w/ good parts availability and more power, diesel may be best - I just don't know anything about them.
If you want gas, then you're limited to a 404. The diesel units are entirely different animals.

I plan to Line-X the entire chassis, bed, and cab so looks are not important. 25 years old would be nice also b/c registration and insurance is dirt cheap in Illinois.
25 year old cutoff still means 404,406,416,435. Because of your comfort with the M180, it sounds to me that you're in the market for a nice 404 ! Maybe one of the later, 416 bodied 404.1's ??

Read up on the issues of long range highway driving a 404. If they don't scare you, go for it. LOTS of nice 404's available in the USA.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts