Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I finally gave in a modified my '99 E55. Just a bit so hopefully people won't criticize me for ruining a good package. I got a set of H&R sport springs and utilized #2 pads to lower the car just a bit. The springs upgrade was $400 installed. The overall stance is more aggressive although the car does not look that much lowered to the normal passer byers. For some reason the front still seems a bit high because there is about an extra 1.5' of space. The rear is just right with only a small 1' gap between the wheelwell - the rear is just the perfect balance. I wonder if I should try to lower the front a bit more. I'll wait a few weeks to let the springs settle and figure that out. I'm interested in any thoughts you all may have.<br>
<br>
Beyond that I also changed the lights. Specifically the city lights and fog lights for high intensity white PIAA bulbs. The cirty lgihts was $25 and the foglights were $65 a pair. The city lights looks great because it matches the Xenon headlights. The only thing there is they are not that bright so in daylight you can barely see them. But at night its a good match as oppossed to the original hazy dull color. As for the foglights, there is not that much change, just a bit better match to the headlights. This is because the glass of the foglights are tinted and therefore the white bulbs can't completely overcome the color differences. All in all the lights look much better. It used to drive me crazy the difference in color between the city lights and the xenon. I am still toying with the idea of possibly increasing the intensity of the city lights so that the whites match up with the xenon a bit more. However, I am afraid that it will ruin the balance in utility of headlights versus citylights. Any thoughts here?<br>
<br>
Lastly, I dropped in a set of K&N airfilters to replace the original paper AMG filters. This was a $40 x2 upgrade. I don't know if it makes sense but I think there is a noticable improvement in the exhaust note. I am not ambitious for HP gain, just looking a bit more reliability/efficiency from the air intake. I had the option of replace the airbox with a carbon fiber kit (+$400), but this did not seem to make too much sense or necessity to me. <br>
<br>
I was also offered a computer programming upgrade for $400 but I am skeptical about computer upgrades. Supposedly, this would remove the speed limiter and improve fuel efficiency and ultimately response time. Suppossedly there is a 25 HP gain and some increase in miles/gallon ratio. Have anyone done this and what was the result?<br>
<br>
All in all, I have been through previous cars with mods and upgrades. As many of you know, this is a costly proposition because it just starts to build and link to other expenses not withstanding time and effort. As such, I am trying to limit my upgrades to immediate results or visual improvements. Obvious upgrades from here include tires and wheels. But that can cost serious money ($3000+) and at that point, I might as well just fork over another $3000-$5000 for real performance improvements in the engine? <br>
<br>
What do the purists and/or enthusiasts think? <br>
<br>
<br>

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Sorry for those who've seen it on both boards...

I feel silly at times posting the same story on both boards. However, there are distinctly different responses and different interests depending on the board.

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Curious myself about the computer chips

I hope to hear from someone who has done a chip upgrade. $400 sounds cheap. I thought they were around $1200?<br> <br> The top speed limiter removal-- for those times when 155 just isn't enough... : )<br> <br> Any HP increase is welcome, also at $2.09 a gallon for premium in this area, the mpg increase would be appreciated.<br> <br> Good luck with your responses. I'll stay tuned.<br> <br> I assume the chip might void the warranty?

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Mods sound well balanced...

Nothing too fanatical... I'm interested in the whiter city bulbs. Do you have bulb type and place where I can order? Regarding the chip upgrade, I'd personally be a bit suspect if the claims were for both improved performance and improved mpg. Sounds too good to be true. By the way, have you heard of anyone modifying the degree of power-assist for the steering? Personally, I prefer a more meaty feel with less boost. Any thoughts on how to dial-down the boost?

1 - 4 of 4 Posts