Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1983 300SD, 1986 560SEL, 1992 300D, 1995 E320 Wagon
245 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
For those of you out there that see this comment, I posted a long video on how to remove the W124 dash and how to replace the vacuum actuator pods for the climate control.

Just trying to spread the word. Note that there are only 2 PN's left of the 6 PN's that are available from Mercedes or aftermarket. On the dual diaphgram pods you can buy one of the two pods that are available, remove their arms (white plastic just snaps it on), and you can take off the old arm from the old pod and transfer it to the new pod. NOTE: This trick only works on the dual diaphgram pods. Last resort you can get just the rubber diaphgram inside the pod that you can replace at a place called Performance Analysis in Tennessee, although you can't order on their website. You have to call them. Their part numbers for the two different diaphgrams are 2010 and 2020. On the W124 and W126, you can use one of their diaphgrams on the "center" pod, which is a single diaphragm. They are inexpensive, not sure how long they will be in business from the conversation I had with them. . Get a bunch and store them the rest of your life!

·
Registered
1989 W124 260E
1,357 Posts
Nehuge That was so good thank you , This is so informative for us W124 owners who just might have heater pod problems . The video needs keeping in the How To Do It section .

·
W124 Moderator
86 190E 2.3L 16V, 2 95 320TE's, 02 S500
12,682 Posts
For those of you out there that see this comment, I posted a long video on how to remove the W124 dash and how to replace the vacuum actuator pods for the climate control.

Just trying to spread the word. Note that there are only 2 PN's left of the 6 PN's that are available from Mercedes or aftermarket. On the dual diaphgram pods you can buy one of the two pods that are available, remove their arms (white plastic just snaps it on), and you can take off the old arm from the old pod and transfer it to the new pod. NOTE: This trick only works on the dual diaphgram pods. Last resort you can get just the rubber diaphgram inside the pod that you can replace at a place called Performance Analysis in Tennessee, although you can't order on their website. You have to call them. Their part numbers for the two different diaphgrams are 2010 and 2020. On the W124 and W126, you can use one of their diaphgrams on the "center" pod, which is a single diaphragm. They are inexpensive, not sure how long they will be in business from the conversation I had with them. . Get a bunch and store them the rest of your life!
Very good Nehuge!

Sent from my XT1710-02 using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
'92 300TE 4matic 280,000miles, '92 300TE 4Matic 'Ice Blue Metalic' 101,000miles
10,298 Posts
So.....two of the pods are available......while the others can be salvaged from using guts of the aforementioned 2010 & 2020 bought @performance Analysis?

If we were making a list assuming we buy the two OE pods still available....how many 2010's and how many 2020's?

Kevin

·
Premium Member
'92 300TE 4matic 280,000miles, '92 300TE 4Matic 'Ice Blue Metalic' 101,000miles
10,298 Posts
Being an ex journeyman mechanic I differ on some of the tools & techniques you used. But you had the balls to film all that, go back correct things and show us all the steps etc. It's a horrible job but now anyone can take a laptop out there and watch the vid, (or their phones) while they do it. Great stuff and the purpose of this forum.........

Kevin

·
Registered
1983 300SD, 1986 560SEL, 1992 300D, 1995 E320 Wagon
245 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
You are my hero man, that job looks like a nightmare! Thanks for the video...
It's not that bad, like the journeyman mechanic said he's experience, and I'm not, so If I can do it, you can! I just put screws and fasteners in baggies with labels so I know what went back where. Plus I watched my own partial footage back as I went to keep track. I want to keep these cars alive, and I think people may dump the car because the shop tells them this is 15 hours of labor at $100 per hour or whatever.
On one side, the more cars people get rid of, the more junkyard and ebay parts for me. But on the other hand, the more people get rid of them, the less demand on MB and aftermarket to order parts for them, and the less support. It's up to us to hopefully influence some of that supply and demand by keeping these cars going!

I made another video that goes over how to disassemble and install new diaphragms from George Murphy and Performance Analysis in Tennessee into the dual diaphragm pods. You have to call him to order, you can't order on the website. Again, I advocate buying new MB pods first. Doesn't matter which dual pods, the only difference is the arms. The ones that are NLA are becoming more so each and every day. I only put this on here to use the Performance Analysis pods as a last resort down the road for those who were too late to buy them. I wish I knew if the W123 pods were the same as the W124 and W126. I have never held one to compare the differences.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts