Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 20 of 61 Posts

·
Registered
SL-LESS (for now) and 2002 Jaguar XJ8 Executive
270 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As the title says my SL is no more.
I got involved in a collision yesterday before leaving the country and catch my flight. I did not catch my flight...
My SL suffered major damage, too severe to repair it i’m afraid.
Sure i will get my money back from the insurance company because it was not my fault but that doesn’t mean that the car itself can be repaired.
I officially handed over the car after the crash, that means that the insurance company is now the owner of the car and they will have to pay the value of what it was worth before the crash.

What happened: I was on a big roundabout when i was hit from the right (3/4) by a guy who was driving 90 KM/H!!
He was tossed out of his Golf 2 because he was not wearing his seat belt and (lucky for him) he made it to the hospital so that he can live another day and pay for all the damage that he has caused.
Personally i am fine, every airbag did their job perfectly, even after 16 years but i must say that the steering wheel airbag was new. I only suffered a huge dent in my ego.

The other driver is still 19 and had his drivers license for just 9 months but decided to throw all the rules overboard and to forget everything he has learned in driving school.
His license was revoked on the spot by the police.
I will see him in court (whenever he is up to it that is) and see to it that he will never drive again. And pay for everything to his last sorry penny....

I know that material stuff can be replaced but this kind of behaviour in traffic is not acceptable and that is the part that makes me angry.

So, i guess that i am in the market for another SL?
It know that it will come eventually but i am not in a rush, maybe in the new year....
A 500 sounds tempting, any tips anyone?
The max. i want to spend is 12.000 Euro’s, suggestions are welcome.
Thank you in advance gentlemen.

Unfortunatelly my W140 CL600 adventure was not a great success, the ADS was starting to break down shortly after i got it. That is why i sold it again, it is not even registered in Holland anymore. I suspect it ended up somewhere in Poland or Russia...that is where most N-W European MB’s find a new life. Sadly for the new owners with many failures that were never repaired.

My message to you:
Gentlemen (and lady’s of course), please be safe on the roads!
But unfortunately you can not always protect yourself against childlike shitheads like the one that i have encountered!
It will hit you when you least expect it, i did not see this one coming either....
I know i was lucky so i can tell you this this in good health.
Be well.....:)

Kind regards, Hans.

·
Registered
SL500, CL55, E350, E320
3,205 Posts
Sorry to hear that. Glad you are fine.

90kph is about 55 mph which is speed limit in most States highway so if he was on highway, he didn't drive that fast (I usually drive 55 on the 45 zones anyway).

It's just a car, you can always get another one. If you were in the States, $12K Euro could get you two SLs.

500s are the solid engines but get whatever fits your need. Let us know how it comes out.

·
Premium Member
1991 560SEC / 2013 GL550
1,390 Posts
Sorry to hear about that, but also glad you are ok! That is the most important thing, that you can walk away from the accident

Here's an idea I would suggest. In the US, you can buy the car from your insurance company for a fraction of the cost. For example, my 560SEL was totalled and I was offered $4,000 USD *or* $2500 + the car.

If you did this, you'd be able to keep your car as a parts car. Surely the interior is in great shape, minus the airbags. You'd be able to find a car that's great mechanically but needs interior help. Save lots of money :)

Keep us updated!

·
Registered
'96 SL500, Triple Black
1,650 Posts
Sorry it totaled your car. How did it look? Was it pretty damaged?

Maybe let the kid have a second chance, we have all done things we shouldn't have.

Anyway, not criticizing you, glad you are safe.

·
Registered
SUPERCHARGED Silver Arrow
2,126 Posts
Glad your not hurt and wish the 19 year-old has a speedy recovery.

·
Registered
1991 500SL, 2004 E500 4-Matic Estate
118 Posts
Glad to hear you're ok. Such a shame about the car tho... like another member said you could prob get 2 SLs in the states for that, dont know how it is over there, but if I were you I'd go for a Silver Arrow, Final Edition, Mille Miglia, 40th Anniversary etc... any of the special edition models, just my 2 cents...

·
Sith Lord
72 280SE 88 560SEC 92 E500 6.0 95 SL320 14 GLK350
11,813 Posts
Thankfully you are allright, safe, and sound.

We are at constant risk from road terror. Those fools put sane people in the line of death with their reckless behaviors.

I am confident another SL can be found within the budget you have set.

·
Registered
99 SL500 Pano ADS II
333 Posts
Looks you had a real bad luck,, I always found Dutch to be good drivers ,, but then may be times have changed ,,
Any way , your 12k Euro ,, FYI in Korea I have paid 13,000 Euro then spent another 2,300 Euro for the pano top ,, and 2,500 Euro more for front end rubbers,, engine mounts ,,, new rotors and pads ,,
It is a dream to drive now ,,
Get your hands on SL ASAP ,, driving other cars don't quite make it ,,
I strongly recommend post 1997 SL500 above all ,,

·
Premium Member
95 SL500, K&N, NEOKEN Ported TB, Custom Intake, RENNtech Sport Exhaust, AMG I Monoblocks
10,980 Posts
I am truly sad to hear of this unfortunate incident Hans. However, to look at the positive side of things we are very grateful that you are okay after all.

As the costs will be covered by your insurance, we are looking forward to your next purchase and ownership of yet another R129 SL Roadster.

All the Best, Ken

·
Registered
1997 SL500, 1948 Rover 75 P3, 1984 Citroen 2CV, 1953 BSA Bantam D1, 1966 Velosolex Moped
1,141 Posts
As the title says my SL is no more.
So, i guess that i am in the market for another SL?
It know that it will come eventually but i am not in a rush, maybe in the new year....
A 500 sounds tempting, any tips anyone?
The max. i want to spend is 12.000 Euro’s, suggestions are welcome.
Thank you in advance gentlemen.
Kind regards, Hans.
Hi Hans,
That's a great shame, but I'm glad to hear you're both OK. I hope the other guy is at least in a bit of pain for the error of his ways though.
I'll keep an eye open for a nice 500, but you might have to settle for one with the steering wheel on the correct side ;). Actually there are usually quite a few LHD cars on ebay.co.uk and they're not all auctions but classified listings so don't dismiss it.
Buying back the wreck might be a good move, as the insurance company might not realise the price of second hand SL parts, and you already have a network of potential purchasers in this website. I can see the vultures circling now :D!
Keep smiling...
Regards
Steve

·
Premium Member
9,274 Posts
Glad you are OK.
In the states you can also ask them "how much if I keep the car?" Often times they wont mention it until you ask.

·
Registered
'91 300SL(sold) 2000 SL320 Edition '94 E220 T auto
694 Posts
I too am glad you are ok. Your poor friend you told us about not so long ago, that we knew here too, was not so lucky. The roads can be a very dangerous place and you are right when this sort of thing happens it usually just comes from nowhere completely unexpectedly.

There is little doubt the R129 is seriously substantial. I narrowly avoided a terrible head on collision in my 1991 300SL a few years ago, but was still hit on the rear quarter panel. It was easy to tell that most other cars would have suffered much much more damage. Luckily my car was repairable.

The guy who hit me really did just about hit me head on and also hit a truck which was following me with a family in it, before he rolled over . He was half drunk and in a rage, but was totally unremorseful at the scene of the accident. This infuriated me! The guy who hit you sounds like he was being an idiot, but I hope he is remorseful and will learn a serious lesson. Like many car and motorcycle enthusiasts I look back on my youth and can see I was foolish at times. Generally quite safe, but I can see many moments of stupidity whilst in charge of a lethal weapon. It is a shame we as human beings often cannot see the mistakes we are making until it is too late.

In the UK I believe it is harder than it used to be to buy back vehicles from your insurers. This is probably not a bad thing as it may stop a few being badly repaired and put back on the road. More should be done here mind you to stop just that! It is maybe worth trying to get your car I guess.

What model did you have? Treat yourself to an SL60 if you can track one down!

·
Registered
270 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Thank you all for your very kind responses my friends!!
I am not in Holland right now because of work elsewhere but i already got an offer for a 1997 SL600 from a dealer, i was tipped by a member of our local MB club.
To be honest, i’m a little scared to buy this one. My expenriences just recently with ads was not so good but the price fits my budjet. The asking price is 10.500 Euro’s and it has 87.000 KM’s on the clock.
Like i said before, i am not in a rush but i will give it a serious think over.
Good tip Steve! Thanks, i will pass it on to my buddy’s to buy the car back for parts.
Most of it survived of course but it was a so called economic total loss so perfect for parting it out.
It should not be a problem Silver50, after an serious accident in Holland the license plates are revoked so that the car can never be put on the roads again but buying it for parts is allowed.
It sounds you had a narrow escape too, we both are lucky!

And for the info, it happened in town where the speed limit is 50 km/h so he was wrong all the way.
But i am glad that he did survive, my first reaction was one of anger. I don’t wish anybody harm...

Thanks guys, you really are the best:thumbsup:
I will let you know how it goes, for now i keep all options open.
Hans.

·
Registered
'91 300SL(sold) 2000 SL320 Edition '94 E220 T auto
694 Posts
Hey Hans,

Interestingly, I too had the first reaction of terrible anger when I was hit. It was lucky the guy in the truck behind who got hit too calmed me down. I cannot explain the instant quite animalistic rage I instantly flew into. It was uncharacteristic of me. After I had calmed down, which I did quite quickly, the guy's lack of remorse was still very frustrating. Even after rolling his car he was ok. If I had not been calmed down he may not have been!

·
Registered
270 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Hey Hans,

Interestingly, I too had the first reaction of terrible anger when I was hit. It was lucky the guy in the truck behind who got hit too calmed me down. I cannot explain the instant quite animalistic rage I instantly flew into. It was uncharacteristic of me. After I had calmed down, which I did quite quickly, the guy's lack of remorse was still very frustrating. Even after rolling his car he was ok. If I had not been calmed down he may not have been!
I know exactly what you mean! The paramedics had to calm me down, i was in a state of strangling him.
But i soon realised that was not going to help any of us:D
It is just a chunk of metal (sorry purists!) and can be replaced..
A mans life is precious and not replacable, at least he is given another chance to explain his foolish action.
Oh, i forgot earlier about your question. It was a 1994 320.

·
Sith Lord
11,813 Posts
But i am glad that he did survive, my first reaction was one of anger. I don’t wish anybody harm...

Thanks guys, you really are the best:thumbsup:
I will let you know how it goes, for now i keep all options open.
Hans.

·
Sith Lord
11,813 Posts
My poor Toyota Auris serves as a traffic stopper here in Algeria on a weekly basis.

It never fails; I am waiting at the stop light, and BAAAM, someone decides to use my arse for brakes. Thankfully, the Toyota doesn't have an AMG bumper.

·
Registered
'01-E320 & 02-ST2
31,631 Posts
I'm sorry to hear about your SL, but I'm glad you were in that instead of some scummy enonobox or we might not even hear about it. In the states you can buy back the car for salvage value from the insurance company and then repair it yourself or part it out if you're so inclined and there are some good things about it. Of course you have to have the time and inclination to do all that, too. ;)

Good luck to you, again, I'm glad you're okay.

1 - 20 of 61 Posts