Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,565 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just got back from a trip, and the car performed superbly. We went from Fairmont, Minnesota to Chattanooga, Tennessee for LibertyCon 31, leaving last Wednesday, stopping for the night in Paducah, Kentucky, then getting to Chattanooga early afternoon on Thursday. On the way back, we stopped for the night in Iowa City.

The total driven was 2021 miles. Over the full tanks on the trip, I averaged 28.3 MPG, and the longest between fill-ups was 639 miles, Paducah to Mason City, Iowa - with no low fuel light; it took 22.94 gallons.

It's really nice to get on the road, lock it on cruise, and sit back while the car eats miles. It's even nicer to get out of it at the end of a 700-mile day and not feel like I've been hit by a truck. The car has more than ample power, too, for those times when it's needed. It's also nice to know that I can drive all the way across Illinois, the long way, and not have to stop for anything.

I like my diesel. I think I'll keep it.

·
Registered
523 Posts
I have an 08 ML320 CDI also and recently drove 1200 miles in 2 days. I was ready to get out but didn't feel beat up. I average 26+ but cruised at 75-80. They are comfortable!! Good that you didn't have to buy fuel in ILL. as I have heard that all diesel has Bio in it.

·
Premium Member
3,565 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Good that you didn't have to buy fuel in ILL. as I have heard that all diesel has Bio in it.
Indeed, that's about 2/3 of the reason I avoid it...just like I try hard to buy fuel in Iowa before getting back into Minnesota, which also has a biodiesel mandate.

·
Registered
523 Posts
Indeed, that's about 2/3 of the reason I avoid it...just like I try hard to buy fuel in Iowa before getting back into Minnesota, which also has a biodiesel mandate.
That's BS forcing you to use fuel that is detrimental to your vehicle just so certain people can get richer. Have you read the Stephen's blog on the cdi's? He says No Bio fuels in these engines. Not with low saps oils.

·
Registered
35,655 Posts
Was that on you ML?
Diesel is not for everybody, but once you get the drift how to operate it, you will never go back to gaser.
Best part of it is, that if for some reason you don't like the fuel at one station, you can drive to next one - 100 miles away - often with reserve light on.
Newest model E250 BT makes 700-800 miles on tank, what brings new dimension to fuel/time saving.
We can fill up cheap diesel in Vegas, drive to Frisko, do some errands there and don't need to fill up till we are on our way back in Bakersfield.
From what I check last time, all states add bio to the fuel, but when most of states keep it at 5%, I heard Minnesota and Illinois have bio at 20%.
Chicago has high fuel prices anyway, so I avoid fueling there.

·
Premium Member
3,565 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Yes, that was the ML.

Minnesota has a varying bio requirement...in the winter, it drops to 5%. The sticker on the pump says "Contains between 5% and 20% biodiesel".

I don't know what kind of range I have with the low fuel light on. I've never run it dry and hope I never do. And 650 miles out of a tank is plenty for my purposes.

I think "how to operate it" comes down to "try to keep as level a speed as you can"...the car is a lot happier cruising at any speed then continually accelerating and slowing down.

·
Registered
35,655 Posts
When I had my gas MB driven with reserve light for 60 miles and then for additional 25 miles with "range to empty 0" - it is highly advised against running diesel dry.
Pumps and injectors don't like it, when most of newer cars have double fuel pump.
On sedans with saddle tank Venturi effect pumps fuel from 1 side to other, on ML at least W163 the tapered tank is using Venturi to suck fuel from low point into pump housing placed few inches higher.
Bottom line - when you run empty - filling up 5 gallons might not be enough for the main pump to prime, when lack of returning fuel will not trigger Venturi effect.
Small thing to remember, but can you save big money and frustration if you forget.

·
Registered
523 Posts

·
Registered
35,655 Posts
That article is popping up on forums for some time.
I think the guy wrote it more for publicity than trying to feed the facts.
I own 2 of mentioned Bluetecs, both with over 180k miles and can testify that they don't have the problem Stephen is whining about.
Than when technician advise frequent air filter change without measuring the contamination, that means to me that he is not much of technician.
You can buy filter minder for about $10 to actually measure air filter status, when 642 filters cost over $100 and are bear to replace, meaning additional $$$ if you don't DIY.
He also ignores the fact that you can't buy 100% diesel in US anymore.

·
Registered
523 Posts
That article is popping up on forums for some time.
I think the guy wrote it more for publicity than trying to feed the facts.
I own 2 of mentioned Bluetecs, both with over 180k miles and can testify that they don't have the problem Stephen is whining about.
Than when technician advise frequent air filter change without measuring the contamination, that means to me that he is not much of technician.
You can buy filter minder for about $10 to actually measure air filter status, when 642 filters cost over $100 and are bear to replace, meaning additional $$$ if you don't DIY.
He also ignores the fact that you can't buy 100% diesel in US anymore.
Since you are in Vegas, I'd like to know what oil you use and your OCI. He has updated that article fairly recently. I believe him in that MB only cares about getting your vehicle out of warranty. Same with all car companies with except maybe Toyota. 2018 Sprinter maintenance recommendations have changed drastically. Heavier oils are recommended that don't exist with Low Saps. Have you seen any 10w-60 oils? I can't find any. I ran my ML320 9500 miles on the Mobil 1 5-40esp and had it tested. The iron was very high and the TBN was just about gone. Mostly highway miles.
I'm not arguing with you. You have proof of success with whatever you have been doing. I just think the guy has some good points about the Low Saps oil and long OCI's and heat. You may have seen the guy on the 164 forum who bought an 09 ML CDI. He switched from Mobil 1 esp 0w-30 to Mobil 1 Turbo Diesel 5w-40 and his Iron was cut in half on analysis. I have had my air filters really dirty @15k miles. I have gotten them fairly cheaply on Rock Auto, even the Mann.

·
Registered
35,655 Posts
I just replaced the V6 3l engine on my W211 as the old one suck water in the puddle.
Took the old engine apart just to inspect it. I drove it for last 20k, when previous owner was single woman servicing it at dealer.
I got confirmation that the only transmission service was done at 40k, so good guess that the engine had oil changes at FSS +- 13k intervals.
So after 180k miles, the cylinder bores still have honing marks.
EGR and intake "could use" cleaning, but it did not create problems.
I rebuild turbo, but comparing new and old bushing plays - they are the same, so it was premature rebuild.
Timing chain/sprockets look good. Scan did indicate that injectors have been replaced in the past, but I don't have solid records for that.
There is still long way from 180k my engine had to 1 million we would like to see and you still have to deal with motor mounts, VR, intercooler seals, but for such complexity the engine is holding very well IMHO, just observing original recommendations and I had couple of tanks of B20 in it.

·
Registered
4,176 Posts
Was that on you ML?
Diesel is not for everybody, but once you get the drift how to operate it, you will never go back to gaser.
Best part of it is, that if for some reason you don't like the fuel at one station, you can drive to next one - 100 miles away - often with reserve light on.
Newest model E250 BT makes 700-800 miles on tank, what brings new dimension to fuel/time saving.
We can fill up cheap diesel in Vegas, drive to Frisko, do some errands there and don't need to fill up till we are on our way back in Bakersfield.
From what I check last time, all states add bio to the fuel, but when most of states keep it at 5%, I heard Minnesota and Illinois have bio at 20%.
Chicago has high fuel prices anyway, so I avoid fueling there.
SACRILEGE!! We do *not* refer to our city by that...that...undignified pseudo-name......

:grin

Agreed with you on the benefits of Diesels. Been getting between 24 and 25 mpg in town driving with my E320 CDI. Haven't taken it on a road trip yet, but they're said to get over 700 miles on a tank. The car has good power. Sounds like a John Deere tractor, but it's very driveable. Diesel fuel is higher than 87-octane gasoline in my neck of the woods, pretty close to the price of 91 or 93 octane gasoline in some locales. Since the M112/M113 engines take 91 (premium in California), you save money by going Diesel. I would even claim a slight savings to the environment, at worst a wash, even with the slightly higher emissions/gallon, since we're using fewer gallons.

My understanding is that, nowadays, just about all Diesel fuel in the United States has at least 2% biodiesel in it, to replace the lubricity lost when we went to ultra-low-sulfur Diesel (ULSD) fuel. Turns out biodiesel has *great* lubricity. That's one reason the restaurants are now locked up in contracts with veggie oil recycling companies and why they (usually) won't let you have it anymore. :(

·
Registered
35,655 Posts
Long before I moved to California I was fascinated by "Vanishing Point" movie.
I remember the nickname for the City picked up from it.
Finding good price on diesel fuel takes some research.
In the past truck stops had the best pricing, but the big stops offer truck parking, showers, TV rooms to the drivers and therefore they have higher pricing lately.
Mid-city station will always have high price on diesel as they sell low volume of it.
But doesn't take lot of reading on gasbuddy.com to learn what stations offer lower prices and fill up accordingly. Lately Costco add diesel at several locations, what is good deal but long wait lanes.
Beware that lately truck stops change to B20 at least in CA.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
About this Discussion
13 Replies
4 Participants
Kajtek1
Mercedes-Benz Forum
BenzWorld.org forum is one of the largest Mercedes-Benz owner websites offering the most comprehensive collection of Mercedes-Benz information anywhere in the world. The site includes MB Forums, News, Galleries, Publications, Classifieds, Events and much more!
Full Forum Listing