Mercedes-Benz Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2001 C320 (w203)
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Greetings,
I have tried to search around this forum and around the net and I still seem to be getting mixed feelings on this. I have a 2001 C320 sport with Bose, no cd changer and no phone but it seems to be pre-wired for a phone setup. I have added an ipod integration kit which works ok with my iphone but I'm not happy with the audio at all.

I'm looking to replace the speakers and from what I've gathered so far I think I will have to rewire a whole lot of stuff so I'm better off just replacing the radio with an aftermarket unit, getting an amp for the interior speakers, and wiring up a whole new system. Is this the case? I've read about replacing the COMMAND systems but I'd rather just go with aftermarket stuff since it will have more features and much better sound and potential. I have subs and amps, just need to get speakers.

So what I need to know is whether or not I'm correct in having to rewire the whole car to do what I want it to do? Has anyone done this and have any advice? I'm a proficient installer with alot of experience I just need some direction, especially if someone has already done the hard work :) Does anyone have the wire colors for the speakers or should I just run new speaker lines? Any recommendations for speakers? I'm thinking Focal, Diamond Audio... maybe some kappa perfects from infinity...

I really just want some clear and crisp sound, I used to have a "toy" that was in audio comps locally and I guess I just miss that. This Bose crap just doesn't even come close. I know this topic has been discussed but I really appreciate any help I can get since this project is really really time consuming and deeply involved. Thanks!

·
Registered
552 Posts
hey boiler! when i get a new car sound system is always my first priority. with my w203 i changed all my speakers and tweeters and subwoofer and added an amplifier. i did not change the head unit coz i heard some feedback that if you do that SOME people say you will loose your controls on the steering wheel(dunno if its true, but it sounds true). Also with the rewiring, i advice REWIRE, dont use the stock wires(static). i dint change my wires before and it was ok but the sound was not balanced i popped a speaker. i rewired the whole system and there was a big diff. i used kicker wires. its not so hard to rewire just be very patient, i was in a hurry i forgot to put back the wire on the cd changer back so i had to remove everthing all over again. brand i would recommend for speakers DLS its a swedish brand. i use it on all my cars. clarity. not too eeree. the bass depends on your taste. i just put a 10" rockford punch on mine for clean and clear bass. its a merc so you dont really wanna go BOOMBOOM. i know changing the headunit will make it sound so much better but do some research on it first coz it might cause some computer problems. if you have or seen it successfully done tell me about it. i might do it myself. been dying to put a double din screen on mine. goodluck!

·
Registered
2004 C230 Kompressor Sport Coupe
1,903 Posts
Yes, you have to rewire the whole system if you have Bose. The only real options in that case are a full rewire, or go to COMAND. When the Bose system is working well it can sound quite nice, but it doesn't reach the level of a high-dollar upgrade. Otherwise, you can use a CAN-bus adapter to keep some steering wheel controls, but the important basic signals are on the ISO connectors.

dorion, you can change the head unit, sure. If you have done a full rewire you are basically ready for other upgrades. There is a fascia kit out there, some folks have done full rewires like you or replaced just the HU if they have non-BOSE.

·
Registered
2001 C320 (w203)
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks zeet, I have read alot about putting in the COMAND unit but I have a pioneer avic n1 sitting around from another car, i have the deq-p8000 digital processor for it and when I had it in another car it sounded phenomenal with a 5ch amp, full surround, and a couple of subs. I don't care about losing the steering wheel controls for the radio as long as everything else still works, I don't want any error messages or anything messing up with the electronics of the car. So as long as I can be assured that replacing the radio and rewiring the audio system wont mess any of that up I'm good to go. I don't want to go crazy with it but it sounds like I'm in for a rewire jobby! Any idea how to get my hands on a nice dash kit for it? the pioneer unit is a single din so I'll need a dash kit with a pocket or something of sorts...

·
Registered
2002 C230 Sport Coup and 2006 ML350
1,128 Posts
What are you using for IPOD intergration?
Greetings,
I have tried to search around this forum and around the net and I still seem to be getting mixed feelings on this. I have a 2001 C320 sport with Bose, no cd changer and no phone but it seems to be pre-wired for a phone setup. I have added an ipod integration kit which works ok with my iphone but I'm not happy with the audio at all.

I'm looking to replace the speakers and from what I've gathered so far I think I will have to rewire a whole lot of stuff so I'm better off just replacing the radio with an aftermarket unit, getting an amp for the interior speakers, and wiring up a whole new system. Is this the case? I've read about replacing the COMMAND systems but I'd rather just go with aftermarket stuff since it will have more features and much better sound and potential. I have subs and amps, just need to get speakers.

So what I need to know is whether or not I'm correct in having to rewire the whole car to do what I want it to do? Has anyone done this and have any advice? I'm a proficient installer with alot of experience I just need some direction, especially if someone has already done the hard work :) Does anyone have the wire colors for the speakers or should I just run new speaker lines? Any recommendations for speakers? I'm thinking Focal, Diamond Audio... maybe some kappa perfects from infinity...

I really just want some clear and crisp sound, I used to have a "toy" that was in audio comps locally and I guess I just miss that. This Bose crap just doesn't even come close. I know this topic has been discussed but I really appreciate any help I can get since this project is really really time consuming and deeply involved. Thanks!

·
Registered
2001 C320 (w203)
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I have an ipod adapter that i purchased a while ago at best buy, not 100% on the model but i think its the cd-ib100, its the older style that still requires a separate ground and 12v wires rather than draw from bus cable on the deck. it controls the older generation ipods and is semi-compatible with my iphone, it plays audio and i can control the playlists and tracks just fine, but no video support and the text displays only 8 chars. at a time. painful but it works.

ive been doing some more reading and i think im gonna get the pioneer avh-p6800dvd. its a double din that should fit really well, will still let me keep the digital 5.1 processor that i have for the old avic but now i can control it directly through the 6800, get a new ipod cable and bluetooth adapter, backup cam and my ps3 and im rollin' :) i have my garmin that ive done a stealthy mount with a hardwire so i can just take it off when i dont need it so i dont need the navi part of the avic. i just need to find a place to get a good deal on that pioneer av unit :/

1 - 9 of 9 Posts