Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I just bought the 1992 190E 2.6 with factory Lorinser options less than 3 months ago. Well coming back from my daily lunch trip to the cigar shop. And an 87 year old lady decided to make a right hand turn from the left hand lane in front of me. I slammed on the brakes and ran up on the curb trying to avoid her but still hit her. When I realized I couldn't miss her I took my hands off the wheel, leaned back and bent my knees for impact. rear passenger side door. I jump out of the car vexed, and that is when I realized her age. She was crying and so upset because she had never been in an accident before. She admitted it was her fault to the officer. The damage was not that bad to my car hood, front bumper, headlight, and turn signal. I tagged her car right on the rear passenger door.
So I knew it was going to be a problem with insurance replacing the Lorinser front bumper. So I stopped by a local German parts shop to ask if they have ever come across one in the past. That is when the bad news I was fearing was confirmed. Her insurance will probably total my car out because of the age and the repair cost compared to the value of the car. I know I am going to have to argue that this is a factory car and not a aftermarket kit. Then have to even find a price to replace the kit. I have an appointment on Thursday to have her insurance appraise my car. I also have an appointment for a secondary quote at the body shop where most exotics are taken here in south Florida.
If the car is totaled out depending on the price I might buy it back. If I buy it back I will try to source a new Lorinser bumper for a while. I have already found a sport bumper for $325. But I liked being the only Lorinser I knew of. If I can't find one I will probably part it out. I have been tossing around the idea of turning it into a track car, but that would make two (E30 325). I am just so depressed right now. I am so glad this didn't happened 3 weeks from now. This weekend I had my list of $2000 in parts to order and in three weeks a complete tear down and respray. I wanted the car completely done by mid may.

Sorry for the length I am just depressed

·
IR MODERATOR
1996 Volvo 855GLT, 1993 MB 190e 2.3 8v, 1998 Subaru Outback SUS, 1991 BMW 525, 1998 MB C230
9,228 Posts
buy back from insurance. and fix yourself. looks like its minor, the bumper could be a factory bumper with a skin.

·
Registered
1998 C43 AMG, 2006 E500 4MATIC Estate
692 Posts
Yeah, buy that back if it's deemed totaled. Replace the headlights w/Euros (now you have an excuse to. hehe), replace the corner signals, and bang out the metal. The bumper is another matter. Finding a Lorinser is impossible. Just slap on a stock one for now.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
The main reason I bought the car was because it had the Lorinser kit. I had a basic 190E before. I have not decide if I still want the car without the front bumper.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
OK so I argued with the claims guy for 3 hours. If they were to properly fix the car it would be about 7k, and the car would be totaled. He worked some numbers just trying to repair the damage not replacing parts. Both of us know the parts need replacing and can't be repaired. So he worked it down to 1200. I am going to now argue for the amount right up to the salvage value. I am so upset right now. I am also going to call the lady who hit me and inform her that Allstate is trying to screw me. I really want to keep my car and get the most amount of money. I can repair the car myself, but I want the most amount of money possible for repairs being the accident was not my fault.

·
Registered
'86 190E 2.3, '08 RDX, '09 C63 AMG
1,434 Posts
Hamada went through the same thing. So, did they come up with a value for the car if it was totalled? Did you let him/her know that you bought the car recently and what you paid for it?

·
CH4S Admin , Outstanding Contributor
1985 500SEC, 1991 190E 2.6.
39,604 Posts
You should really look for Hamada's thread. He acted on advice given, and came away with substantial more than the initial low ball offer.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts