Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My husband just purchased a 1979 300 SD Mercedes from a friend of his. My husband wanted this car to be mine but when we went to get it I CRINGED! <br> The exterior looks GREAT, but the inside looks like someone hosed it down with water and dirt. <br> The floor boards where wringing wet, it smelled musty and it needs ALOT of work but I dont know where to begin.<br> Any suggestions?<br> Thanks.<br>

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Ironically, I myself just purchased the same year and model (so far as I know, all 300 SDs are turbo-diesel), and I had the exact same problem. But it turned out to be easy: a little Niloder spray cured the stink, sheepskin seatcovers(which I prefer anyway) fixed the front apolstery, and a little elbow grease solved the rest.<br> But these cosmetic things are unimportant: the point is that your husband may have just saved your life. My ex-wife was driving our old 1978 300D when she went through a four-way intersection without looking at the oncoming left-turn lane(to be fair, there was a large truck patially blocking her view), and head-onned a brand-new Toyota. The only reason nobody died was that the driver of the other car was alone in his vehicle and she hit the opposite front corner-- the front pasenger seat was completely crushed to the floor-- anyone in it would have wound up two inches thick and five feet wide.<br> Our Mercedes' damage? Well, I had to replace a headlight and a turn-signal lens, straighten the bumber and have some dents beaten out of the fender(less than $200 total)... my wife wasn't even scratched... in fact, SHE DROVE THE CAR HOME FROM THE ACCIDENT!<br> Good luck with your new, very safe car.<br>

1 - 2 of 2 Posts