Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just purchased a 1976 300d and I am wondering if there are any issues with this model I should look for. The car is clean, inside and out, and only has 75300 miles on it. The dealer got it on a trade in and sold it to me for a respectable amount - but an amount that was definitely in my favor, as he really wanted it off his lot. I have not owned a diesel before so I am a complete novice to mercedes cars. Any suggestions?

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
: I just purchased a 1976 300d and I am wondering if there are any issues with this model I should look for. The car is clean, inside and out, and only has 75300 miles on it. The dealer got it on a trade in and sold it to me for a respectable amount - but an amount that was definitely in my favor, as he really wanted it off his lot. I have not owned a diesel before so I am a complete novice to mercedes cars. Any suggestions?<p>Congratulations! I have owned a '76 Mercedes 300D<br>for about 15 years now. It is only used for out<br>of town trip into the Pacific NorthWest. In the<br>first 10 years, I spent $14.49 on repairs. Of<br>course, I serviced it regularly (oil & filters).<br>I have found that it is wise to use a diesel fuel<br>conditioner if you are going to store it for long<br>periods of time as the diesel will astually grow<br>stuff that can clog up your fuel filter. The only<br>shortcoming to the '76 300D is the lack of turbo<br>a charger. It is great on long hauls, but a little<br>slow in the mountain regions. I also own a '76<br>240D (four cyl.)which is even slower than the five<br>cyl. 300D. No problem, when I want to travel fast<br>I get the Maserati Khamsin out of the garage, but, <br>I pay a big premium in fuel costs. The Mercedes<br>are very fuel efficient compared to the Maserati<br>V8 with four dual throat Weber carbs.I am presently<br>looking for a 1986 to early '90's 300 SDL or 350 SDL <br>in exceptional condition. I would prefer black/black.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts