Discussion Starter #1
Has this ever happened to other W203 boardmembers before? [:(!]

Attachments

·
Registered
2001 W203 C240
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #4

the plastic ring at the base (the one that is seated to the airbag cover) is broken.

my sister and my mom (who was driving) insist that all they did was shut the door, and then it fell apart.

I can't even imagine how it would happen. I can't even bend the handle back into the hole.

Will see on Wednesday if dealership will replace the entire handle. it already looks like it will split from the seams. What I'm a bit concerned is that they may mess up the side airbag if they need to work in that area.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Re: It's a Mercedes, not a Honda, expect things to fall apart....

It's a Mercedes, not a Honda, expect things to fall apart.
hahahaha nice one buell! Are you trying to get flamed?? I might get a free car wash tomorrow... I don't know about the donuts and coffee though.

·
Registered
ML320/C320 Sprt
4,649 Posts
No,

What I'm a bit concerned is that they may mess up the side airbag if they need to work in that area.
they won't touch the air bag, which is not even attached to the door trim. the air bag is attached to the door not to the cover[:)] IIRC that was one of the finding on AUTOWEEK mag long time test as well as the cup holder and the glove box keep breaking and falling[:(][:(]

·
'00 ML320 Elegance
8,965 Posts
I wouldn't be concerned...

the plastic ring at the base (the one that is seated to the airbag cover) is broken.

my sister and my mom (who was driving) insist that all they did was shut the door, and then it fell apart.

I can't even imagine how it would happen. I can't even bend the handle back into the hole.
Well it could be a factory defect. Explain to the SA what happened and hopefully they will be able to work something out.

What I'm a bit concerned is that they may mess up the side airbag if they need to work in that area.
No, this won't happen as they will simply remove the entire door panel. Not a big deal as I myself have done this a few times [:)]

·
Registered
'86 190E 2.3, '08 RDX, '09 C63 AMG
1,434 Posts
Don't worry about...it is a warranty issue....

Don't worry about...it is a warranty issue.

·
Registered
C230K Sport Sedan
5,368 Posts
Re: Re: It's a Mercedes, not a Honda, expect things to fall apart....

hahahaha nice one buell! Are you trying to get flamed?? I might get a free car wash tomorrow... I don't know about the donuts and coffee though.
I don't know why anyone would buy an MB if it weren't for the free car washes, muffins and coffee. What's weird is that in some parts of the world, even in this country, they don't give you these services and people still buy them, must be their clever commercials.

·
Registered
2001 W203 C240
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
results

dealer put the handle back into the hole, and ordered a replacement handle. she didn't ask any questions, all i said was, "it just came off" [|)]

I got my free car wash, and front rubber mat drench (funny how the rear mats always remain untouched)

also, they will be replacing my two smartkeys..

i already replaced one two months ago, so i would now be on my fourth and fifth smartkeys after the impending replacement. two months ago, one of my keys stopped responding, so was replaced. now the older one finally died as well (no, it's not because it ran out of batteries!!)

·
'00 ML320 Elegance
8,965 Posts
Well that's good!...

dealer put the handle back into the hole, and ordered a replacement handle. she didn't ask any questions, all i said was, "it just came off" [|)]
You should ask how they'll get it in, heh.

I got my free car wash, and front rubber mat drench (funny how the rear mats always remain untouched)
My dealer has these MB cardboard floor mats and they've started to put yellow plastic seat covers on the driver's seat!

I already replaced one two months ago, so i would now be on my fourth and fifth smartkeys after the impending replacement. two months ago, one of my keys stopped responding, so was replaced. now the older one finally died as well (no, it's not because it ran out of batteries!!)
You know, there was a tech bulletin about this somewhere. I think that they have to order the keys designated for a certain memory slot or else it will mess up eventually. Earlier C-classes had key problems partly due to the dealers not ordering the proper ones.

·
Registered
'86 190E 2.3, '08 RDX, '09 C63 AMG
1,434 Posts
Mercedes warranty is usually pretty good...now if they could build a better ML and I'll be...

Mercedes warranty is usually pretty good...now if they could build a better ML and I'll be happy.

·
Registered
2001 W203 C240
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Re: Well that's good!...

You know, there was a tech bulletin about this somewhere. I think that they have to order the keys designated for a certain memory slot or else it will mess up eventually. Earlier C-classes had key problems partly due to the dealers not ordering the proper ones.

what im afraid of is that i'll use up all eight key slots just as the warranty runs out.. then i'd have to get a new EIS [xx(]

·
Registered
'01 C240
272 Posts
Re: Re: Re: It's a Mercedes, not a Honda, expect things to fall apart....

I don't know why anyone would buy an MB if it weren't for the free car washes, muffins and coffee. What's weird is that in some parts of the world, even in this country, they don't give you these services and people still buy them, must be their clever commercials.

oh...I bought it for the 'snob factor'[;)]

·
Registered
C230 Sport Sedan
37 Posts
Re: Re: Re: Re: It's a Mercedes, not a Honda, expect things to fall apart....

oh...I bought it for the 'snob factor'[;)]
I shopped Audi, BMW, Benz . . . All were nice for build quality, safety, performance . . . but certainly, the cookies were what made the difference . . . [;)]

·
Registered
W203
55 Posts
Re: Re: It's a Mercedes, not a Honda, expect things to fall apart....

where'd you buy yours from? the car washes are great... never tried the muffins... =) i got mine (totalling to 6) at fletcher jones (all from them... maybe i get a Loyal Customer discount? buy 6 get 1 free???)... in newport

·
Registered
C240 Sedan
8 Posts
Same exact thing happened on my C240.

My wife got in the car, shut the door, and it broke just like the top picture above. Sucks. But the replacement of the handle was a breeze.

I am documenting the install now.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts