Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
255 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After reading some of the threads and recommendations here on the hood pad installation, I decided to put my new one in today since it was a relatively nice and warm day in the Windy City.

Last week I removed all the loose remnants from the old pad with a shop vac and an old plastic kitchen spatula to scrape off what the vac didn't pull.

First thing today was degreasing the hood with isopropyl alcohol and wiping off all the sud and dirt that accumulated in the areas where the pad was apparently gone for quite some time.

Initially I thought about having my better half lend a hand to put the new pad in but after holding it up I decided to tackle it by myself:

1. I put the hood in vertical position
  2. covered the engine with a moving blanket
  3. I used masking tape to hold the pad in place on one side first and then adjusted the other side
  4. after everything was taped down and fit perfectly, I used 2 wooden sticks and attached them with clamps on each side to hold the bottom part of the pad in place
  5. I pulled the pad from the top of the hood and put another clamp on the pad to put some weight on so the pad stays pulled down
  6. I could now spray the 3M 8090 adhesive on the upper part of the hood and the pad (important: before I applied the glue I pulled the moving blanket up to avoid glue on the windshield)
    (the attached picture below shows this stage; the red clamp in the middle is the one attached to the pad to pull it down)
  7. After letting the glue dry for about 10 min., I removed the clamp from the pad and pushed it up towards the top
  8. I made sure that I pressed the pad firmly in place all around before I removed the wood sticks
  9. I then folded the bottom half of the pad up and held it in place with masking tape
  10. Now I could apply the adhesive to the bottom part of the hood and the pad to let it dry for another 10 min.
  11. At the end I carefully pushed the pad down pressing it in place (moving from the middle to the sides and down)
Worked perfectly and including the degreasing didn't take more than 1h.
The whole thing didn't even use up 1 can of the 3M adhesive (glad I bought 2 :rolleyes:).

BTW, for this kind of glue (applied correctly with letting it dry for about 10 - 30 min) pressure is essential NOT duration. Once you put the 2 parts together you'll have to make sure to apply as much pressure as you can.

Also, some folks seemed to have put a lot of effort into removing ALL the old glue and remnants; in my opinion this is not really necessary since the only flaw I could think of would be if you could see bumps etc. but since the pad is thick this is not the case. So if it doesn't come off with easy scraping it will hold the new pad as well.

Hope this might help in case you don't have someone to lend a hand and/or don't want to remove the hood ;)

Cheers
MBinIL

Attachments

·
Registered
3,725 Posts
Nice work..

Now, I have a question for you...is your car some sort of silver color? And about a week or two ago did you go to Auto Part city in Gurnee and instead of a license plate you had some piece of paper in your rear window on the drivers side?

And by the way, I still have yet to ask my friend about your Webasto. He's in South Carolina picking up a W126 or two. So don't think I've forgotten! :)

·
Registered
255 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Nice work..

Now, I have a question for you...is your car some sort of silver color? And about a week or two ago did you go to Auto Part city in Gurnee and instead of a license plate you had some piece of paper in your rear window on the drivers side?
Yep, that was me :)
The piece of paper was the temp license plate from NY that I got from the dealer in Long Island. 7% sales tax and $144 registration fees later it is gone though.
BTW, I was up there today too trying to pull a radio wiring harness since mine was butchered by the PO but no luck.

Hmm, "some sort of silver color" LOL; I know it's a little faded and should be repainted but not sure I want to spend the $$$.

No urgency on the Webasto; it'll take another 2 - 3 weeks before it makes it to the US from Germany :D

·
Registered
3,725 Posts
Yep, that was me :)
The piece of paper was the temp license plate from NY that I got from the dealer in Long Island. 7% sales tax and $144 registration fees later it is gone though.
BTW, I was up there today too trying to pull a radio wiring harness since mine was butchered by the PO but no luck.

Hmm, "some sort of silver color" LOL; I know it's a little faded and should be repainted but not sure I want to spend the $$$.

No urgency on the Webasto; it'll take another 2 - 3 weeks before it makes it to the US from Germany :D
I had a feeling it might have been you. We probably walked right past each other without knowing it! From where you were parked, if you looked straight ahead, you would have seen my coupe isolated in the lumber lot away from everyone else's cars. :D I was just walking towards the yard and noticed a W126 and spent about 10 minutes just looking at it trying to think of who it could have been.

You got yourself a damn fine looking car there!

By chance were you by a maroon W124 wagon with 2 guys trying to remove a differential?

·
Registered
255 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
You got yourself a damn fine looking car there!

By chance were you by a maroon W124 wagon with 2 guys trying to remove a differential?
Thanks; still trying to get over the "some sort of silver" thing! Just kidding, when I came back from NY after driving the car home for 13h, my better half asked: "...is it gray?" :eek:

Nope, I was working on the nice pewter 560SEL in the first row but I did see the guys taking the W124 rear end apart.

Next time if you see a guy in green army pants and an orange plastic tool box - that's me ;)

·
Registered
3,725 Posts
Thanks; still trying to get over the "some sort of silver" thing! Just kidding, when I came back from NY after driving the car home for 13h, my better half asked: "...is it gray?" :eek:

Nope, I was working on the nice pewter 560SEL in the first row but I did see the guys taking the W124 rear end apart.

Next time if you see a guy in green army pants and an orange plastic tool box - that's me ;)
LOL, didn't mean the silver thing in a bad way! :D

Green pants and orange toolbox. Shouldn't be too hard to spot!
Shouldn't be too hard to spot me either with my yellow toolbox and some sort of Mercedes hat. :wave:

·
Registered
424 Posts
A friend of mine with a 126 cut the pad into four pieces and installed them by himself like a jigsaw puzzle. Seems a lot easier w/same result.

·
Registered
107 Posts
interesting. wish the old avatars were still around and location also, which is useful and fun to know. I am about to replace the hood padding so this was helpful. 20 years ago when I first had my W126, I took it to an indie (never the dealer; the kids today don't know how to address a car without a computer printout) and he said he could do it and charge me for it, but why didn't I do it myself. I did, learning I could do it and that he was a straight shooter. Cheers.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
About this Discussion
8 Replies
5 Participants
Stewpot
Mercedes-Benz Forum
BenzWorld.org forum is one of the largest Mercedes-Benz owner websites offering the most comprehensive collection of Mercedes-Benz information anywhere in the world. The site includes MB Forums, News, Galleries, Publications, Classifieds, Events and much more!
Full Forum Listing