Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just acquired a classic 1981 MB 280 SLC with 53,000 miles! The color is gold, it has some surface rusts and the front bumper on the side is rusted out. The windows are intact and rims look good. The seats need upholstered or replaced and the carpet nees replaced, other than that it needs a good paint job and who knows what else. It's been sitting for 3 years, so what do you guys think we ought to do with it? Should we sell it for parts or try and restore? We're going to try and get it started tomorrow, does anyone have any suggestions on how to get it started? I'm sure the battery is no good.

Anybody have any advice for me?

Gina

·
Premium Member
W-1-2-3 Go!
16,161 Posts
New spark plugs, fluids, and a battery should kick it back into life. If I were you I'd restore it. It's a low mileage classic roadster that just begs to be driven again. And once you're done restoring it, I'm sure you will never regret it. People just fall for classics.

Oh, and fix mechanicals first before going cosmetic. Once it's running in optimum condition, then slowly restore its looks (carpet, paint, etc)... Goodluck!!

280SLC-GIRL - 4/10/2005 7:00 PM

I just acquired a classic 1981 MB 280 SLC with 53,000 miles! The color is gold, it has some surface rusts and the front bumper on the side is rusted out. The windows are intact and rims look good. The seats need upholstered or replaced and the carpet nees replaced, other than that it needs a good paint job and who knows what else. It's been sitting for 3 years, so what do you guys think we ought to do with it? Should we sell it for parts or try and restore? We're going to try and get it started tomorrow, does anyone have any suggestions on how to get it started? I'm sure the battery is no good.

Anybody have any advice for me?

Gina

·
Registered
4,115 Posts
karugs - 4/11/2005 7:47 AM

New spark plugs, fluids, and a battery should kick it back into life. If I were you I'd restore it. It's a low mileage classic roadster that just begs to be driven again. And once you're done restoring it, I'm sure you will never regret it. People just fall for classics.
Hate to nitpick but it's a coupe, but i attribute your slip up to a lack of sleep[:D]

Oh, and fix mechanicals first before going cosmetic. Once it's running in optimum condition, then slowly restore its looks (carpet, paint, etc)... Goodluck!!
I agree 100%,.... and plenty of polish!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts