Mercedes-Benz Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

· Registered
4 Posts
Navigation

In my previous car I installed a 7" flat tv screen and cordless trackball. These were connected to a laptop in the boot. I ran MS AutoRoute which did not give spoken directions but there is newer software available now. A GPS sits on your rear parcel shelf. With this box of tricks plus a tv tuner, I could watch tv and DVDs, do navigation and send and receive faxes etc. on the move. If I was doing it again I would install a wireless LAN in the car so the car could download webpages {newspapers} and DVDs from my house computers.
It isn't a project for the faint hearted but a navigation system is so very expensive and limited in its functionality. My computer gear was lying idle at the time and it worked very well. I ran the audio to the stereo through a cd multichanger.

I don't plan on sticking it into my W140 because I don't spend much time in traffic. I would be very interested in cruise controls mounted on the right hand side of the steering wheel though.

· Registered
65 Posts
Re: GPS read this it will save you thousands$$$$$

If you want someone to install a GPS on your w140 you will not find one under 5,000 installed. I recommend that you buy a Garmin GPS that is hand held about the size of a palm pilot. It has a color screen and not only can be mounted on your dash but you can carry it with you while hiking boating etc. On the car GPS you need to buy a CD for almost every city and the CD's are always over $100ea. The Garmin/hand held GPS have the entire North America installed and are not only more easy to use but have better detail and have more features. The Garmin GPS costs between 300-1400. you can get a really good one for around 500. this way you can keep your car stock and save a lot.
-hope this helps -Kristian
-check out http://www.garmin.com/products/iQue3600/

· Registered
W140 S class, E31 850Ci, XC90 Exec AWD geartronic
444 Posts
recommendations

Kenwood and Alpine are the best for aftermarket navigation. I've got the Alpine setup in my car which doesnt have the GPS module installed but is navigation ready.

I'll post links to the above units if you are interested

· Registered
19 Posts
I would save your money and join AAA, get all the free maps you can think of for a year....

I would save your money and join AAA, get all the free maps you can think of for a year. But, if you travel for work in the car it might be a good idea.

-Chris

· Registered
1987 560sec
295 Posts
yes u would. get a pioneer navigation package. 1500 off of ebay, or 2400 authorized. i dou...

yes u would. get a pioneer navigation package. 1500 off of ebay, or 2400 authorized. i doubt they'll charge you 2500 for the installation.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.