Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I just bought a 1985 Mercedes 190E Automatic from my friend who needed to sell it within two days. So the price was very low ($400). It has 190,000 miles on it. The trunk leaks, very minor body damage on the back right beside the taillight. I know almost nothing about cars because I am still preatty young. I talked to the mechanic of it and he said there were no problems that he remembers about except for the gears slip going from 1st into 2nd and it would cost over $3000 to get a new transmision. I went for a short ride in it and it slips quite a bit, I am not sure how big of a problem this is and how fast it will turn bad. And I am not sure what other problems are most likley to happen to this make and model. Any help would be greatly apprecated.

Also what I forgot to add last time is the two back doors do not open from the back outside and both the right back anf front windows dont open, also the radio doesnt work. I am hoping that this is a problem with the fuse's because that would be the easiest way to fix it. -newbenzowner987

·
Registered
1,545 Posts
I just bought a 1985 Mercedes 190E Automatic from my friend who needed to sell it within two days. So the price was very low ($400). It has 190,000 miles on it. The trunk leaks, very minor body damage on the back right beside the taillight. I know almost nothing about cars because I am still preatty young. I talked to the mechanic of it and he said there were no problems that he remembers about except for the gears slip going from 1st into 2nd and it would cost over $3000 to get a new transmision. I went for a short ride in it and it slips quite a bit, I am not sure how big of a problem this is and how fast it will turn bad. And I am not sure what other problems are most likley to happen to this make and model. Any help would be greatly apprecated. -newbenzowner987
Being young and inexperienced is not a problem, it's are you mechanically inclined and willing to give it a go. Sometimes you just have to dig in and find out how it works.

Slipping in 1st to 2nd. I am no expert but we all have been learning here lately about 722.xxx transmissions and their symtoms. Normal problem is a hard bang shift 1st to 2nd and a delayed slip or lazy shift 2nd to 3rd at any mid throttle position.

First things first, check the fluid level. Keep in mind, the one of two ways. There are two marks on the trans dip stick. Cold ( manual states after 3 mins of run time ) you can check the level but since it's cold, the shown level will be about 15 mm's below the LOW Mark. This varies per trans model a bit.

I think the best method is a hot trans, a warmed up motor and 5 miles or so should do it where the Dip Stick is uncomfortably hot to touch and it should be near the High Mark.

So, don't fill it up cold or you will over fill and you could Blow some Seals.

Start with this first and advise - mmmm if it is in fact low, any White Smoke, not gray but White and lots of it. I bet you would have told us that already. :)

If the Fluid is up within range and it still slips, that does not sound good if the other shifts are normal. If the modulator is faulty, it should effect all the shifts and they would be Hard Shifts.

Not positive, but a slipping 1st to 2nd is most likely the B2 bands. Band replacement from what I know is not for the rookie, plus an expert would tell if it would be worth only going after a partial rebuild vs just getting a rebuilt trans.

Rebuild - I don't know where you are at but from what I gathered there is a Trans outfit specializing in Merc's here is Southern Calif. Off the top of my head they run around $ 1200 or so. Let me know and I can find the link if you end up needing it.

A Filter / Fluid change MIGHT help but I doubt it.

Edit - corrected to B2 :)

Regards
Dan

·
Registered
234 Posts
I think Dan ment B-2 Band or K-1 clutch and He would be correct it is probably a problem in the B-2 band , shift valve or piston see the trouble shooting part at the bottom of this. To make sure we need to know any problem the transmission has if it slips or shifts hard in any other gear ETC. Some of the parts of these transmissions as Dan stated are not for the novice person to work on they require special tools. But with more detail we can get close to what is causing the problem in the tranny and it may be something you can fix. These are 4 speed trannys are you sure it started out in first and not second.

If it ends up being something you can fix you might want to check ebay for 190E transmissions I searched and seen some on there that would work for your car on these it will have to be for your year model of vehicle there was changes in production on these transmissions over the years. I believe the 84-86 trannys were the same and then it changed. here is one I found eBay Motors: MERCEDES 190 190E TRANSMISSION 84-86 ONLY 77K MILES! you might be able to find one cheaper at a local salvage yard depending on where you live

TRANSMISSION
Transmissions are fully automatic 4-speed consisting of
a 3-element welded torque converter, 2 compound planetary gear
sets, 2 multiple-disc clutches, one overrunning clutch and 3
brake bands. See Fig. 1. Brake bands control function of
planetary gear sets. A hydraulic system, pressurized by a primary gear
type pump and a secondary piston type pump provide working pressure
required to operate friction elements and automatic controls.
1st Gear
In 1st gear, brake band B-2 is applied and one-way converter
clutch is locked. In selector lever position "2", clutch K-2 is also
engaged. Both planetary gear sets are involved in gear reduction.
2nd Gear
In 2nd gear, brake band B-1 and brake band B-2 are applied.
Both planetary gear sets are involved in gear reduction.
3rd Gear
In 3rd gear, brake band B-2 is applied and clutch K-1 is
engaged. Only rear planetary gear set is involved in gear reduction.
4th Gear
In 4th gear, clutch K-1 and clutch K-2 are applied. Both
planetary gear sets rotate as a locked unit.
Reverse Gear
In reverse, brake B-3 is applied, one-way converter clutch is
locked, and clutch K-2 is engaged. Both planetary gear sets are
involved in gear reduction.

Transmission Slips When Starting Off In 1st Or 2nd (Reverse
Is Okay)

Band B-2 shift valve sticking. Band B-2 piston worn or
damaged. Band B-2 adjusted incorrectly or worn or damaged. Adjust
brake band B-2 by installing a longer thrust pin (if necessary). If
transmission operates properly with selector lever in "2", but not in
"3" or "D" position, one-way clutch may be slipping.
Transmission Slips In 2nd Gear Or Shifts From 1st To 3rd Gear
Check control valve B-1 for ease of operation. Replace valve
body (if necessary). Remove and install brake band piston B-1, check
sealing ring and replace (if necessary). Replace brake band B-1 and
thrust body for B-1. Command valve binding.

·
Registered
1,545 Posts
Yup, B2, my bad and I corrected it. Either way, any Band replacement looks to be tough and a number of special tools.

I went to the Stealership to pick up my spring kit but I didn't have the part number with me as my trip was spur of the moment. How tough can this be? Gotta love a Merc parts dept with White Shirts/ties, Glass and Marble Counters and a Greeter who knows diddly other than to speak Spanish to the real Parts guy some where in the building. I have to go back with the Part Number in hand. Give me a parts dept I can place a fluid dripping part on the counter and someone I can talk to .... :)

Dan

·
Registered
107 Posts
Get some Lucas Transmission Fix. You can find it at Advance Auto Parts. You will need to drain some fluid before you add it. It is the best treatment for a sick transmission. It might help and would be better than a replacement.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts