1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
1989 Mercedes Benz 190E
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi dudes,
Im new to the site..so i will praise any help and support:bowdown:

I just got my 1989 Benz 190E it has 270,oookms. Its in decent condition aswell. So its been sitting for 17 months and now i finally got it as a project and the battery is completely dead..i put the boost to it and the dash light, radio etc came on...i tried boosting with another car and next thing you know theres a spark and now the car wont make any sounds or turn on..no dash lights..i dont know what i did...is the car fried?? someone help:surrender:
i properly put the boosters on..i hope this is fixable!! please pm me if you can..

·
Registered
84 190D
398 Posts
did you re-adjust the battery terminals?
any smoking with the spark?
check your fuses and such?

PS

Hey from London

·
Registered
1989 Mercedes Benz 190E
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
did you re-adjust the battery terminals?
any smoking with the spark?
check your fuses and such?

PS

Hey from London
hey dude the battery has been completely dead...the windows and so on worked with the jumpers on it...but when they started there car and i went to start the benz it was taking power and then *Spark* off the negative terminal and thats when everything went dead..like when i turn the key no response from car at all!! I had checked the fuses some were popped and bypassed with tin foil (rear windows, etc) the big block fuses R1 R2 R3 were there EXCEPT the OVP relay fuse....could this stop my car from evening cranking?? so at the moment car is not responding to no type of power..?? where do i go from here? thanks from replying to my post dude...

·
Registered
190e 2.6L
297 Posts
If OVP is blown, this may cause your electrical system to be dead. Check the two fuses on top of it.

·
Registered
1989 Mercedes Benz 190E
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
If OVP is blown, this may cause your electrical system to be dead. Check the two fuses on top of it.
hey thanks for replying dude.
There isnt even an OVP block fuse on the slot...i will have to pick one up i guess, but before i even boosted the car..the lights on dash etc were working windows went up and down...after i boosted the car, and the spark occured,..the car became unresponsive? as in when i turn key, nothing happens at all..did i fry the system? or is there a fuse that i dont know about that popped and saved the car from being fried?:crybaby2:

·
Banned
0 Posts
Is this an 8V or 16 V? If it's the latter then it's toast and you should give it to me for proper disposal because you're not allowed to take it to the junkyard anywhere in the North America.
Dude, seriously, it sounds like a fuse but then again I am willing to come over and take it from you if you don't find the problem.

·
Registered
190e 2.6L
297 Posts
Usually, before you fry the system, there a fuse that will blow up somewhere. Now, on these cars, the OVP (which is the Over Voltage Protection) plays this role. You can find this relay behind the battery compartment. There is two fuses on the top of it (20 Amp I think). They will sure blow up if you mess up when jump starting. Then, with a non-working OVP, car will, stall, electrical system will be messed up, there is not really a list of symptoms, but your car will become f***** up. Before trying to find any other problem, find your OVP and check the fuses. If the fuses are good, you may need a new OVP...

·
Registered
1989 Mercedes Benz 190E
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Is this an 8V or 16 V? If it's the latter then it's toast and you should give it to me for proper disposal because you're not allowed to take it to the junkyard anywhere in the North America.
Dude, seriously, it sounds like a fuse but then again I am willing to come over and take it from you if you don't find the problem.
its a 2.6 version. i dont know what to do.

·
Registered
1989 Mercedes Benz 190E
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Usually, before you fry the system, there a fuse that will blow up somewhere. Now, on these cars, the OVP (which is the Over Voltage Protection) plays this role. You can find this relay behind the battery compartment. There is two fuses on the top of it (20 Amp I think). They will sure blow up if you mess up when jump starting. Then, with a non-working OVP, car will, stall, electrical system will be messed up, there is not really a list of symptoms, but your car will become f***** up. Before trying to find any other problem, find your OVP and check the fuses. If the fuses are good, you may need a new OVP...
My car is an 89 Benz 190E i think the OVP is in the fuse box located on the right?? the OVP there is missing...unless theres another fuse behind the battery? i could check there?

·
Registered
1989 Mercedes Benz 190E
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
hmm i have a 2.6. 1989 .... i wonder if anyone can confirm this?? :confused:
yes but the 2.3 and 2.6 are both 6 cylinders arent they?

does your 2.3 have the fuse box on the right hand side aswell?? with OVP, FPR, Etc there aswell?

·
Registered
89 190E 2.6 x2, 99 SL500 Sport
1,859 Posts
hmm i have a 2.6. 1989 .... i wonder if anyone can confirm this?? :confused:
in 1989 the only models in the 190E line were the 2.6 and 2.5 diesel according to the 1989 model year brochure I have. In order to access the OVP on an 89 do the following

Look behind battery. You'll see a plastic wall that's just held in place by tabs. unhook the tabs and pull wall out. OVP is right there.
I had a friend who fried her OVP relay after jumpstarting. It made the car really hard to start, ABS light was on and car ran rough.

·
Registered
1989 Mercedes Benz 190E
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
in 1989 the only models in the 190E line were the 2.6 and 2.5 Turbo according to the 1989 model year brochure I have. In order to access the OVP on an 89 do the following

Look behind battery. You'll see a plastic wall that's just held in place by tabs. unhook the tabs and pull wall out. OVP is right there.
I had a friend who fried her OVP relay after jumpstarting. It made the car really hard to start, ABS light was on and car ran rough.
really?? thats so weird...what about the fuse box located on the right?? my 89 190E is defenetly a 2.6...can you confirm the fuse box on the right side of engine asewll?? cause it says OVP there aswell:crybaby2:so confused

1 - 20 of 28 Posts