Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2001 SLK 230
1,226 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well I did it. I installed my crankshaft pulley. It took me about an hour with the tools and lift I had access to thanks to the kind guys at Ultimate Auto Works in scottsdale.

It was easier than I thought. Without a lift I could not of done it. I took the diper / oil tray out from under the front of the car and had easy access to the pulley. I had to lower some bar that went across to each side of the car but after takin thoes 2 pieces off. I took the belts off. Pulled the old pulley off with my hands put the new one on. applyed like 147 pounds of pressure and then turned it 90deg. and it was in. I had a bigger friend of mine help me turn it because I wasnt strong enough.

I will post pics when I get home.

I drove slow the entire weekend to give my car a chance to adapt. This morning I let her rip I got on it on the 51 and damn my car whines like a school girl. When that supercharger kicks in its the hottest sound ever. I most def notice a difference in speed. I feel like it kicks me into my seat more.

Overall should my car run hotter? worse gas milage? did I void my service contract?

For people that do not have access to the correct tools or a lift I do not recommend that you try this. Also it is a 1 man job but having my friend there to hold things and hand me things really made it easier and faster. The instructions that came with the ASP kit said 4 hours. I did it in 1. My slk is an 01 so the post 2000 kit that lihn sells wont work on my car. My pulley was $650 and I got 300 back on the core return. making my pulley $350.

--Deathy

·
Registered
SLK32, ML430
6,349 Posts
DEATHERAGE - 2/28/2005 6:22 PM

Overall should my car run hotter? worse gas milage? did I void my service contract?

For people that do not have access to the correct tools or a lift I do not recommend that you try this. Also it is a 1 man job but having my friend there to hold things and hand me things really made it easier and faster. The instructions that came with the ASP kit said 4 hours. I did it in 1. My slk is an 01 so the post 2000 kit that lihn sells wont work on my car. My pulley was $650 and I got 300 back on the core return. making my pulley $350.

--Deathy
Do you mean pre-2000 pulley? If Linh sells a post-2000 pulley it should work on your 2001.

No,you did not void your service contract. That is not to say that the Service Contract Provider won't try and fight you on something and make it a real PITA. But leagally they can't void your contract unless they can prove the pulley caused the damage.

Congrats on getting it installed. Post the pictures.

·
Registered
C230K Sport Sedan
5,368 Posts
DEATHERAGE - 2/28/2005 6:22 PM

--Deathy
Your car will be the same temperature, including coolant temps but your intake air temps during full boost will be higher but nothing to worry about as that time is vey minimal unless you are track racing. Your gas mileage will be worse if you have a lead foot but consider that boost is bypassed except at heavy loads like at full throttle so most of the time you are running zero boost anyway. My fuel mileage on a 50 mile, level steady state trip at 72 MPH dropped from 33.5 to 33.2 MPG after installing the pulley. Linh and I did a lot research years back with OBD2 scanners to monitor temps and other sensors, boost gauge to see when and how much boost was being applied dyno time (over 50 for my car alone) and even dragstrip time. We wouldn't have left it long on our own cars if something was fundamentally wrong. There were plenty of other products we quickly yanked from our cars after testing, some costing more than double what the pulley cost.

As for your warranty, I don't want to offer legal advice and you should certainly not take any over the internet but if it were me and I had some sort of unknown engine problem, I would return the car back to stock before bringing it in for repairs that maybe covered under warranty. Also, if you do have problems, the last thing you want to do is complain a lot on the internet until the issue is resolved. MB watches these forums, you don't want to shoot yourself in the foot. I've seen people beg forum mods to delete posts after talking to their dealer.

·
Registered
190E 2.3 & SLK230K
403 Posts
anyone have dyno results with pulley upgrade?

·
Registered
2001 SLK 230
493 Posts
Buellwinkle has dyno results posted. Search the forum. I think it's in a forum called Pulley by Pachanga.

·
Registered
2001 SLK 230
1,226 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
here they are

I will post dyno specs soon after my car is set in a bit with the new pulley.

Attachments

·
Registered
SLK32, ML430
6,349 Posts
linh - 3/1/2005 6:23 PM

Why do you need to remove the swaybar? I did it the easier way by remove the electric fan, this give room and allow you to pulley the pulley straight out.

Based on your pictures, i did not see your set your crank "keyway" at 12 o'clock (if install the pulley from the top) or 6 o'clock (if install the pulley under the car). I hope you did not mis-align the "keyway". The only way you can tell now if remove the pulley and inspect or way until the pulley fly out.[:D]
Are you referring to the woodruf key? Linh is correct if the key is not set properly it can be very, very bad. Damage to the crankshaft can occur and/or the pulley can fly off.

·
Registered
2001 SLK 230
1,226 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
no I set they key in the correct position they had me mark it with a marker.

and no to remove the fan it was going to be a large PITA.

4 bolts and the swaybar came down. took 2 min. Way easier.

--Deathy

·
Registered
'99 C230k
26 Posts
430 - 2/28/2005 8:34 PM

Do you mean pre-2000 pulley? If Linh sells a post-2000 pulley it should work on your 2001.
I thought Linh's pulley kit was for pre-2000 model year cars. I have a '99 C230k.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts