Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1990 560 SEL & 1995 E300D
459 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=6332&item=4535266687&rd=1

I drove this car yesterday and the only thing AMG about it is the ground effects (skirting)and even that has several stress cracks in it. It has no power to speak of and it DEFINITELY DOES NOT have any beefy cams in it....the paint is blistered due to rust in several places....the rear window is cloudy along the edges and the rear end bounced the entire time I was driving it. The exhaust leak is somewhere behind the cat. It is a $3,000 car and I see that it is currently at $5,300 as I write this with less than 3 hours to go.

Gary

·
Registered
88,560 SEC & SEL Euros, 06 S-500, 06 SRT8 Magnum
246 Posts
Gary
Question: as a member my advise. Only use these auctions as referance. Auction items are only available as a last resort to the VENDOR, or are low cloned copies of the real item. The SEL you are considering you could strip the AMG items and part out the balance. Question: how do you know that the VENDOR has'nt placed his own bids!!!! think about it?

MBGary

·
Registered
51 Posts
E bay does not allow you to place bids on items you listed under your id and or e-mail adress. It might be possible with multiple adresses and multiple ids. There were certainly a lot of bids from people with 0 feedback. It does make you wonder. When this car first listed I had $7000 ready and waiting to purchase this exact auction. However thanks to the great input of fellow members (see thread 560 sel real or fake) I think I made the right choice and held onto my money.

·
Registered
1989 560SEL
2,103 Posts
jupiter -- i can see from the headlight wipers that the car has been repainted (that may also explain the bubbling you described); did you get any sense for what the original color was? what was the color under the hood, if you remember? not that it matters -- just curious...

not a very pretty car, even without all the blatant flaws -- even real AMG w126 sedans look a little garish to me, let alone these half-hearted attempts to mimic the AMG look. the SEC looks good in AMG clothes, but IMHO the SEL is best left looking stock (at least on the outside -- I have no objections to an AMG engine lurking under the hood...).

·
Registered
1991 300 SE
18,534 Posts
janos_z - 3/19/2005 10:37 PM

...but IMHO the SEL is best left looking stock (at least on the outside -- I have no objections to an AMG engine lurking under the hood...).
I agree, that’s why the sedans are great – power, beauty, and stealth…

·
Registered
86 560SEL
1,324 Posts
Honestly I think the stock 560 is already fast enough for daily uses. I just want to have a better exhaust system to help the engine to breath easier for longer life. Of course, I don't mind the extra ponies that come with it.

·
Registered
'80 500SE AMG '80 300SD '78 450SLC '00 Passat GLX Wagon
1,155 Posts
janos_z - 3/19/2005 7:37 PM

- even real AMG w126 sedans look a little garish to me, let alone these half-hearted attempts to mimic the AMG look. the SEC looks good in AMG clothes, but IMHO the SEL is best left looking stock (at least on the outside -- I have no objections to an AMG engine lurking under the hood...).
Garish eh? Nah, just a classic kick ass look for people to admire as you pass them.

Attachments

·
Registered
1990 560 SEL & 1995 E300D
459 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
MBGary,

I might have been born at night, but I can assure you it wasn't last night. Do you honestly feel that I am so naive not to realize that a seller can and does incorporate the efforts of friends to establish an account with Ebay for the sole purpose of bumping the sale price? Further, if that friend or acquaintance actually ended up being the high bidder the seller would only be out the cost of a successful auction, yet not be required to pay and still leave favorable feedback for each other. I am sure this scenario plays out far more often than we realize. Ebay is as good or better barometer as to the value of our cars than KBB, Edmunds or NadaGuide in my opinion. A seller on Ebay can be as honest or corrupt as an individual seller in your local market. Actually, provided I can see the car before bidding, I would tend to buy from Ebay over a newspaper ad for the simple fact that I can rely to a large extent his/her truthfulness based on feedback. As for Ebay being "a last resort" to the VENDOR I totally disagree. There are as many outstanding examples there as are crap offerings.

Lastly, I wrote the above post for the benefit of "carsben353" in particular and for any fellow members who were contemplating a bid. It was in response to his original thread "560SEL, real or fake." I feel an allegiance to my fellow subscribers to this forum and only expressed my opinion on this car for their benefit and consideration. I promise the winning bidder will be most disappointed when he arrives to claim his car.

Gary

·
Registered
24 Posts
I agree totally with your last comment Gary, i make a living selling Mercedes on ebay and have a 100% pos. feedback. I do not consider it a last resort and if your car is right it will sell. Cant say its a way of finding market value though, some weeks my cars do not make as much as they should. Less than 2% of my buyers see the goods before they collect, i guess its all about your history of trading. Thats what makes it better than buying off the guy round the corner as you know him less?

·
Registered
1994 W124 E320 1997W140 S320(RIP),1993W140300SE(RIP),2000W208CLK320(RIP) , 1993 W201 190E 2.6 (RIP),
1,821 Posts
Ebay is the great electronic yard sale of the modern era. Just like the real time yard sales and swap meets in your area in real-time, you will find some great people selling great stuff at great prices, along side crappy people selling crappy stuff at crappy prices. Too say the thousands of items for sale on Ebay are there simply as a last resort desperation move is a VERY lopesided statement. Also, how about exposure of sale? Again, your local yard sale only gets local exposure, and only in that subdivision. Put those same items on Ebay, and that one guy in Singapore whose been looking for that item for 10 years just got lucky. Same thing with a Mercedes.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts