Mercedes-Benz Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
SLK 350 + AMG Kit
491 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello.
Tonight in the dark manovering in a parking area I hited a signpost.
Fortunately I was going really slow.
By the way this produced me a little damage in the front bumper.
I enclose some pictures.

I went immediately to a car shop they told me to repaint it using a spray painting.
But not directly on the part instead using a paintbrush spraied with this black paint to avoid messing the rest of the paint up.
Do you have any suggestion to me to revocer the part?

Guys... I know... I look stupid.. but I swear.. I couldn't see this signpost in the dark! [xx(]

Thank You all [:)]

Attachments

·
Registered
MB 230K 98, MB 200K 00
107 Posts
Wow. That's a shame to such a beautiful car. [:0] I would maybe have it done at a garage, but it's a cost question I guess. For resell value I believe you would be better off in the long run do it properly at least. If you have experience with car-paint I don't suppose the job is that hard.

·
Registered
01 SLK 320 MT6
4,477 Posts
if you never painted a car part before - don't do it yourself, that's a skill that comes with experience.

Just pay to get it fixed.

·
Registered
SLK 350 + AMG Kit
491 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Well I do paint.. windsurf..
I guess it is the same...
But.. I was wandering about do it all or do only this part... and more.. I can't find the match color I have H040 (H Zero 4 Zero) and the paint dealer told me he can only sale a big quantity like 1Kg or more. They do not hold anymore "dedicated" car paint in cans! :(
So I choose a Black Glossy Rallye Lack in can from "Motip Duply GmbH".

I was tempted to unmount all the fron bumper and to repaint all that. But It take time! And I don't have so much.
I contacted tonight one in USA that have used bumber to find an AMG front one. He told me he can have one in the future but not now :(
I'm quite sad! :(

·
Registered
01 SLK 320 MT6
4,477 Posts
I saw cheap bodyshop just sanding off the area and respraying it, but i believe correct procedure is to dismount the whole part, sand it and respray the whole thing.

I don't thing AMG bumper will look good with out side-skirts

·
Registered
SLK 350 + AMG Kit
491 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Kirill - 2/1/2005 9:57 PM

I saw cheap bodyshop just sanding off the area and respraying it, but i believe correct procedure is to dismount the whole part, sand it and respray the whole thing.

I don't thing AMG bumper will look good with out side-skirts
I know.. I want to buy side skirts too :)

·
Registered
2001 SLK 230
1,226 Posts
Blokhus - 1/31/2005 3:35 PM

" Wow. That's a shame to such a beautiful car."

not to be mean Cixi I like ya man but your car seems to take a beating. Is is still in good condition?

From the looks of it your car is REALLY dirty!

bad cixi bad lol

--Deathy

·
Registered
2002 SLK 32 AMG, bone stock. 1987 190E 2.3-16 valve (destroyed). 2005 E320 new toy.
14,926 Posts
Try this first ....

Wash ithe car, at least the front, and be sure the damaged area is clean. Get some polishing compound, it's white in color and very fine. (Dupont makes it here, but there has to be the equal in Italy somewhere.) Follow the directions on the can, which are just to carefully work a damp cloth with some compound over the area. Use a little pressure and see if that takes some of the scratches out. The top part doesn't look too bad in the photo's, so you may have some luck there. The lower section has chips knocked out, so you will need touch up paint. Try the comound first to see if it helps at all. when you're done, touch up the chipped areas with a brush. Let the paint dry a couple of days, and smooth the paint with the compound. The touch up paint should smooth out a little.
If you're going to replace the bumper anyway, brushing on the touch up paint isn't going to be a big deal for long.

·
Registered
SLK 350 + AMG Kit
491 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
DEATHERAGE - 2/1/2005 10:36 PM

Blokhus - 1/31/2005 3:35 PM

" Wow. That's a shame to such a beautiful car."

not to be mean Cixi I like ya man but your car seems to take a beating. Is is still in good condition?

From the looks of it your car is REALLY dirty!

bad cixi bad lol

--Deathy
Just think today I was going to wash it.
But since I prefer wash it myself I changed my mind.
My car is really in good conditions. But I use the car really much so I know it camb be perfect in body appearance.

It is dirty because here the weather is sooo bad snow rain sun and again snow sun...well it is rally not the time to have it clean! ;)

·
Registered
SLK 350 + AMG Kit
491 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
RE: Try this first ....

Bruce R. - 2/1/2005 10:41 PM

Wash ithe car, at least the front, and be sure the damaged area is clean. Get some polishing compound, it's white in color and very fine. (Dupont makes it here, but there has to be the equal in Italy somewhere.) Follow the directions on the can, which are just to carefully work a damp cloth with some compound over the area. Use a little pressure and see if that takes some of the scratches out. The top part doesn't look too bad in the photo's, so you may have some luck there. The lower section has chips knocked out, so you will need touch up paint. Try the comound first to see if it helps at all. when you're done, touch up the chipped areas with a brush. Let the paint dry a couple of days, and smooth the paint with the compound. The touch up paint should smooth out a little.
If you're going to replace the bumper anyway, brushing on the touch up paint isn't going to be a big deal for long.
I have polish in my house since I use ti sometime to deep clean my car.
I'll follow your tips.
Since I'm waiting to get an AMG bumper as soon as I can find it :)
You are always really kind and full of suggestions :)
Really thanks you and all the guys of this forum :)

1 - 14 of 14 Posts